painful knee with lunges, squats, etc...

Options
So I would LOVE to be able to do lunges, squats and leg presses to build up the tush but doing just ONE lunge on my left knee sends me through the roof! I am currently running 12-15 miles a week and training for a possible half marathon later this summer. Although I do get some pain in the knee while running it is nothing compared to when i lunge.
I know I should probably see a doctor, but I don't want to stop my training now or undergo surgery (and I really don't think it is THAT serious). Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions for making the tush building exercises less painful? I am doing something wrong?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    May be your form, but it sounds like more.

You know the story, the guy says,"Doc, it hurts when I do this."

Doc says, "Don't do that."
  • HotBodUnderConstruction
    Options
    A common mistake individuals make when they do lunges or squats is that the knee extends further than the ankle. Make sure that you DO NOT do that. Your lunges should look like this:

lunges.jpg

My knees hurt when I first started doing lunges...it might have been a combination of improper form as well as using weights that were too heavy for me to handle. Just do a little at a time and work yourself up :)
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I never liked lunges, so I don't do them, but if you're doing a full ATG (*kitten* to grass) squat, your knees shouldn't hurt unless you have a prior injury. I have genetically bad knees (grandfather with multiple surgeries, dad set to have multiple surgeries, and I'm built exactly like those two), but I have no problem squatting. Look up "starting strength squat form" on youtube and listen to Mark Rippetoe explain how to do it.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    A common mistake individuals make when they do lunges or squats is that the knee extends further than the ankle. Make sure that you DO NOT do that. Your lunges should look like this:

lunges.jpg

My knees hurt when I first started doing lunges...it might have been a combination of improper form as well as using weights that were too heavy for me to handle. Just do a little at a time and work yourself up :)

Not on squats, in fact if you don't do full squats, you can actually injure yourself more.
  • thakursraj
    Options
    I am experiencing the same problem with my right knee. whenever I am trying to do lunges my right knee hurts. I am run 50 km on average a week. but i never experience pain in my knees. but while doing lunges i feel pain under the knee cap while coming up from a lunge position while going down I don't feel any pain.
  • PhoebesFit
    Options
    I have issues with my right knee as well. When I do squats it kills me. But have a dislocated knee cap and severe athritis in it. So I just push through.
  • brit_ks_89
    brit_ks_89 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    calf raises help less intense then squats or lunges
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Both my knees are a little sensitive and are prone aching If I do too much. So now I wear elasticated supports on both my knees when exercising, walking or even driving long distance. If the full lunge is too painful how about trying part lunges and not go as deep.
  • cherrikim
    cherrikim Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    well I'm 46 with the same problem in my right knee. The medical doc sent me to the orthopedic doc to get a MRI & found I have Osteoarthiritis. I now use a knee brace & don't bend as far anymore. It's something I had to adjust to & I have my moments when it's just fine & others where it's just to painful. They just told me to get more calcium & keep exercising by strengthening the quads.

I suggest you just go to your medical doc to get a xray to rule out anything major or you may do more damage & not be able to run at all. I don't play with my pain especially since I'm in my 40's now.
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I got shooting pains in my knees periodically back in March....I carried on, with care, as I didn't think I'd done anything major.

I finally went to the Doctors in August and was told I have damaged my ligaments....I started physio in September and am still struggling to do anything weight bearing on that knee and my so called good knee is also struggling because I have been over compensating for so long. It could be many more months before I can start doing proper exercises again.....I'm so p**d off!

Get it checked.....it's better to be safe than sorry.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    i would get it checked out to make you are not doing more damage. my husband was doing p90x with me and pushing through his knee pain during pylo and leg workouts. it progressively got worse to the point he couldn't stand the pain and went to a dr. ended up having cartilage damage that had progressed over time and the workouts progressed it! he had to have surgery on it and now is not able to do much in terms of lunges and what not :(
  • caroleannlight
    caroleannlight Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Same problem with my Right knee. Well actually as a few here have noted the knee cap / patellofemoral joint. I don't run but not generally painful on walking but stairs can be a problem. I am doing modified squats now and less reps and no lunges. I know that losing weight and building strength in the quads will help so Ibuprofen and focusing on exercises that don't stress my knee too much at present. Good luck.
  • Bmontgomery613
    Bmontgomery613 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have similar issues with my knees when doing lunges and squats. I can certainly tell in my knees when my shoes need replaced because my knees kill me during lunges, squats and wall sits. Otherwise, I can do them pretty well. I had an exercise physiologist evaluate my form because my lunges were hurting. She told me to sit back more and not extend my knee so much...it was instant relief when I did that.

So, 2 easy fixes it could be are:
    1. Get new workout shoes
    2. Have your form evaluated

If neither of those work, it wouldn't hurt to get a medical professional involved. Especially since you run, you don't want to do anything to injure your knees.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    Both my knees are a little sensitive and are prone aching If I do too much. So now I wear elasticated supports on both my knees when exercising, walking or even driving long distance. If the full lunge is too painful how about trying part lunges and not go as deep.

I have this same problem. I am learning that as the weight comes off and as i strengthen all around the knee it is getting better. I also started taking a joint supplement that i am finding helps as well. ( Osteobioflx) I would cut back on the running and work on building the area around your knees. They may be weak. All the pounding you get from running cant be good for that as well...
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    First of all, I think you should really see a doctor to have that knee checked out. Knee damage is not something to take lightly.

That said, doing static lunges troubles my knees a lot less then dynamic ones, while still training the appropriate muscles. Check out the 30 day shred level 2 video on YouTube, it has à few static lunge and squat combination excercises that might work better for you then dynamic ones.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I have issues with my right knee as well. When I do squats it kills me. But have a dislocated knee cap and severe athritis in it. So I just push through.
    This is a really bad idea. Pushing through muscle pain is part of the process of attaining fitness. Pushing through joint paint is foolish. If you're having knee pain you should back off on the exercise or switch to another exercise than doesn't stress the joint as much.

We all need to learn to listen to our body.
  • jomorie
    jomorie Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    both my knees click when i stand up from a sitting position so ill bump to keep this thread handy x
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, I can train my legs very heavily, OR I can run long distances frequently, OR I can play lots of basketball. I have trouble with my knees when I try to do 2 or more of these activities at the same time. If you're training for a race (or just enjoy running frequently) and leg training is causing you pain, don't leg train. You may be able to do leg presses or extensions once per week but YMMV.

Typically I would squat heavy in winter, run in the spring and play basketball during the summer, injury and pain free. Then Chicago cold would roll in and I'd start lifting heavy again. Rinse, repeat.
  • krista1280
    Options
    Even though it hurts more when you lunge/squat, it is probably you're running that is damaging your knee. Find an aerobic exercise that has less impact, such as swimming, elliptical, spinning.
  • DixieStarr76
    Options
    I never had any knee issues until a few weeks ago when I got serious about exercise. I warm up before exercise, and I usually elliptical everyday and walk in the evenings. I have mixed in Pilates a few times a week, too. Nothing should be high-impact, but my left knee started hurting first. Two days ago, my right started. I don't have health insurance anymore, so I'm just trying to be careful. The elliptical seems to help while walking makes it worse. I wear Nike Shox which I love. I'm hoping it's just normal in the process of strengthening.

If you have access to health insurance and doctors, then do not hesitate to get it checked out. I would be at the doctor tomorrow if I could....