ughhhh i messed up

Options
I should have known it would not be a good idea to go to an all you can eat korean bbq restaurant. i ate like a total pig tonight. totally gorged myself and reminded me of how i got fat in the first place. im scared im going back to my old habits and undoing all my hard work. i am so angry with myself right now :(

Replies

• kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    It's the negative self talk that will send you back to your old ways. Be gentle on yourself. I struggle with overeating and binge eating but it occurs less often now. Celebrate your successes and don't dwell on the hiccups.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Just remember: no one ever got fat from eating one bad meal. Just as no one ever got slim eating one good meal. It's what you do the majority of the time that counts. :)
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    One big cheat meat a week or month won't mess up anything. You still getting progress as far as majority of your diet is in check. In fact it's "healthy". I always spare a couple of days a month to ate some unhealthy foods like a pig. It keeps motivation going cos you know you are not saying bye to crap forever. And you don't have to. Even the worlds top fitness models have a cheat meal once in a while.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    We are all human... Tomorrow is a new day. Cheat meals are nothing to be ashamed of, they regulate metabolism and curb cravings.
  • tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Just remember: no one ever got fat from eating one bad meal. Just as no one ever got slim eating one good meal. It's what you do the majority of the time that counts. :)

I think this sums it up. Take the long term view; they talk about making changes which lasts a lifetime and you can't NEVER have another single big meal. Just remember to keep it as the exception, not the norm.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Stop feeling guilty, and stop being angry at yourself. You ate food, that's all. Too much food perhaps, but it doesn't make you a bad person, and it doesn't make you a failure. You've lost 17 lbs, and that's a great achievement. You haven't undone that in one night, I promise. I bet you haven't gained any significant amount of fat, maybe 1 lb at the most. Probably a bit of water weight as well.

Most importantly, you haven't gone back to your old habits. One meal does not make a habit. If someone habitually eats masses of junk food and has one really healthy meal, how likely is it that they're suddenly become a health freak overnight? It's what you do most of the time that matters. Give yourself a break. Did you know that a lot of people struggle to stay "in control" when faced with buffets or all-you-can-eat scenarios? Those are massive temptations, especially when you can't be sure exactly how much you're eating, and how many calories are in each dish. So, now you know. Try to stay away from those places, at least for the time being! Some people try to never go to them. Other people just go and accept that they will end up overindulging, but it's ok because it's a one off. The lucky few can go there and still eat only exactly what their body needs!

So, dust yourself off, chalk it up to experience and get on with today. It doesn't matter how many times you fall, as long as you keep getting up again!
  • CINDYRN33
    CINDYRN33 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Log it and move on, It will happen to all of us at some point during our weight loss journey.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    double cardio tomorrow?

:)
  • Suzyqall72
    Options
    It's ok, we all do it. Just try to exercise today, drink your water, and make healthier choices. Don't beat yourself up over it.:smile:
  • Jacquis59
    Options
    Don't be too hard on yourself. Sometimes you just have to do something that's fun and tastes amazing. You'll be better today... :)
  • Caspiana
    Options
    No, you didn't. if we all didn't 'mess up' sometimes life would be too boring. As long as you get back on the horse don't worry about it!!! This one meal is not going to dictate the rest of your life.
  • tonkabella
    tonkabella Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    1 day of stuffing your face does not make you a bad person nor does it make you gain weight.... constantly stuffing your face will put the weight back on.... but not one day. You will probably find that you weigh more tomorrow because of the fluid retention due to the additives in the food.... back on the wagon and the weight gain will drop straight off. I regularly have a whole day off and eat whatever I like ..... I've still lost 23lbs..... slowly maybe but it's still going off even with my days off which I thoroughly enjoy.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    One day a week I have an "I don't care" day and this is the day I have an alcoholic beverage and eat junk. Since being on this journey I have learned to really appreciate food and enjoy it. I am in the best shape I have been in since being an adult. No guilt here!
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    You had a great meal, full of flavor. Next day there will be bloating and as much a 3 - 6 pounds water weight to be shocked about and then, you know what? Life goes on. Things will normalize, your body will recover and your anger would have been in vain. Just jump back into your healthy lifestyle and move on.
    As far as being afraid of this becoming the 'norm' again... You have already shown that there is something different by the anger and frustration and true realization of what continued eating in this manner will do to you. The 'guilt' albeit uncomfortable, is actually a good thing because you don't want to feel this way again. This can help motivate you next time you are faced with a challenge like this. And you will be! And you may eat "like a pig" again. And have to go through all of this all over again in your heart and mind. Or, you may eat a little less, it's up to you and a host of other variables that may be in play that day.
    In order to change your lifestyle, it must be manageable for LIFE!. May the Gods help me if I tried to go on a 'diet' where I couldn't belly up to the trough at an all-you-can-eat buffet every once in a while.
    You got this!
  • josyjozy
    josyjozy Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Stop feeling guilty, and stop being angry at yourself. You ate food, that's all. Too much food perhaps, but it doesn't make you a bad person, and it doesn't make you a failure. You've lost 17 lbs, and that's a great achievement. You haven't undone that in one night, I promise. I bet you haven't gained any significant amount of fat, maybe 1 lb at the most. Probably a bit of water weight as well.

Most importantly, you haven't gone back to your old habits. One meal does not make a habit. If someone habitually eats masses of junk food and has one really healthy meal, how likely is it that they're suddenly become a health freak overnight? It's what you do most of the time that matters. Give yourself a break. Did you know that a lot of people struggle to stay "in control" when faced with buffets or all-you-can-eat scenarios? Those are massive temptations, especially when you can't be sure exactly how much you're eating, and how many calories are in each dish. So, now you know. Try to stay away from those places, at least for the time being! Some people try to never go to them. Other people just go and accept that they will end up overindulging, but it's ok because it's a one off. The lucky few can go there and still eat only exactly what their body needs!

So, dust yourself off, chalk it up to experience and get on with today. It doesn't matter how many times you fall, as long as you keep getting up again!

Great post and I totally agree with it.
  • tamba01
    tamba01 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I don't think you messed up. Before you would have eaten this and never thought twice about it. You are in a different mindset now and so I don't think you have to worry about getting back into old habits. Do Not Be Hard On Yourself. It's one meal, it's ok.
  • Jamie_Lauren
    Jamie_Lauren Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Feel guilty, cry a little, rock back and forth in the fetal position and wail about how big your thighs are....THEN forget about it!

Just the fact that you are worried about going back to your old ways shows progress. You know you did bad, but you will do better tomorrow. Keep going! :flowerforyou: