Weighing more than I did when I was 9 months pregnant

Options
I had my kids back in my early 20's. I gained 60lbs with each kid putting me at an astonishing 200lbs. I was flabbergasted at the time but I had an excuse I had an entire human being in my belly and I lost the weight 6 months after each baby. Now I am 42 years old and weigh even more than I ever have. I weigh 212 and I don't have an excuse that there is a little human growing inside me. At 38 I had a hysterectomy and it seems like I really started putting on the pounds. I've never really exercised before but I joined a gym and my first day is tomorrow. I'm setting my first month goal and it's not to lose so many pounds or to lose so many inches...my goal is to be able to make it to the gym 4 times a week for a month. That is my biggest obsticle EXERCISE and my biggest FEAR!! I've never joined a message board before but I need to stay focused and I need support A LOT of support and hopefully I can be of some encouragement to someone out there.

Replies

• angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Good goal, but don't beat yourself up if you slip. Weight loss is a journey with ups and downs. I ended up cancelling my gym membership and I have my own treadmill now and tons of dvd's that I do. I made plenty excuses as to why I couldn't go to the gym, I still haven't found a good enough excuse as to why I can't do a dvd in the morning.
  • maarowak
    Options
    My mom has the same issue haha, the lost all the weight from me and my sister and now is heavier. Joining the gym is a great step, I'm trying to convince her to do so.
    Remember how great you'll feel after you're done, exercise is good for your health, it makes you happier and it even makes your skin better!

I hope you can keep up with your goal!

Cheers!
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Welcome... I think your goal of making it to the gym is a great one. Don't focus so much on losing, focus on what it takes to get healthy and maintain weight loss. Eat right and exercise. Just make sure that your goal of making it to the gym also includes exercise when you get there (just kidding, but you would be surprised). :wink: Best of luck to you. You can do this, just make the commitment and stay focused.
  • SWiel84
    SWiel84 Posts: 43
    Options
    good luck and best wishes! i hope your first day goes well!
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Been there done that. I went up to about 180 at most in my 3 pregnancies. But in my 40's things got seriously out of control and I was up to 220 for awhile. Perimenopause, high stress levels, depression, terrible eating habits, severe knee injury, plantar fasciitis in both feet, repeated bouts of blood clots in my legs, no exercise beyond tapping on a keyboard... it was bad.

But I turned it around lost the weight, improved my health, and if you're willing to do what it takes you will succeed too. It's worth it!!!

Best wishes for you =)
  • finding_sammi
    Options
    I'm 43 and also weigh more now than I ever have pregnant. I've tried stacks of times to get into healthy eating and exercise, but after being totally hardcore initially, so far I've always burned myself out after a few months...

I've decided that I'm sick of yoyo-ing and tomorrow will be my first day of eating healthily and adding exercise into my week... no more starving and bingeing!!

Feel free to add me for mutual support
  • venturaroo
    venturaroo Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm still losing the baby fat and my daughter is almost 16! Great first goal. You can do it! Please feel free to add me. We need all the support we can get!
  • castell5
    castell5 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    The first time I got too fat, I went up to 161 and realized that I was fatter now, then after I had my first baby and I didn't just have a baby. So I took it down to 128. That was about 10 years ago. By 2008, I was 135 which was still ok, but by April of this year, I was 177 lbs.. that was not ok. I got myself up and started dieting and exercising and this time, I am going to keep it OFF! This time, with this site, I am going to do it. There is just no excuse for me to let myself get that big again, not when I am only 5 ft 3 inches.
    Good luck to you! Diet + Exercise + Willpower = Success.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    RAMBLE WARNING : Same here with weighing more than I did at 9mths pregnant !! It's so weird b/c my boys are 16yrs apart (yeah I know..lol) and with BOTH of them I was a nice weight for my height of 5'2" at the beginning, during and even AFTER having them. Yay for me - not so much - Both times I also ballooned up once they were each around 1 1/2 yrs old or so - I am not sure why!?! I was 165lbs when I was 9mths along with my 19yr old and left the hospital at 122lbs. The second time around I was 144lbs at 9mths and left at around 130 but I blew up to 185 the first time & 177 this time - UGH!!! Now I am down to 162 FINALLY but I am still almost 20lbs OVER when I was 9mths. My son is almost 4 and it is TIME for this FAT to GO !!!:explode:

Sorry, I just had to get that ALL out finally...lol:blushing:

BTW, Welcome to MFP - Friend me if you like :flowerforyou:

You CAN do it !!!!
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a similar story to mine because I was 120 lbs when I got pregnant each time. Gained 70 lbs each time, putting me at 190. But the 2nd pregnancy was way different and did not find out for another 12 years that I have Narcolepsy and sleep apnea. So I gained and gained and gained. My youngest is now 18 and I was at 243 when I began here. I don't know where I will end up, but the first 100 lbs is mandatory. Then I'll reassess whether to go lower. I lost my appendix right after my first child and my gallbladder right after the last. Decided I'd better not have any more because I was out of disposable organs. hehe The other day, I hit 199 for the first time in what seems forever.
  • roxalexa
    Options
    199!!! THAT IS AWESOME!! Good luck and keep up the losing!
  • roxalexa
    Options
    THANK YOU EVERYONE for all your kind words and encouragement. I think I'm gonna cry a little :sad: :love:
  • Brewster1215
    Brewster1215 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I just joined a gym this past week (today marks my 7th day here) and while I was sore as heck yesterday after working out, I feel great today and can't wait to get back!
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    You can start with diet...add walking and slowly move to harder exercise. Diet is the way to lose the weight. I had to stop eating sugar, and diet soda. I also go very easy on carbs. I eat some fruits, but my body just doesn't do well eating bread, pasta, or potatoes now that I'm getting older.

Good luck : )
  • xoxoial
    Options
    Darn those pregnancies - gotta love the babies, but no so much the post-baby bod. I've also gained a lot SINCE I gave birth to my second - you are definitely not alone in that. I just joined this site this morning and am already loving it. I think this will be a great way for me to be accountable to myself. So go us!!!
  • c_porcayo
    Options
    I know the feeling. My heaviest not pregnant was 155lbs. With my son I gained over 50lbs mainly because I over ate and believed everyone when they said, ahw you were tiny don't worry it will all go away after baby :noway: didn't happen. and now I am heavier than I was full term with my daughter. When I got pregnant with her I was 137lbs, I lost about 15lbs before I gained any an full term was 149lbs. I am currently 152lbs which to many isn't a lot but given I am big boned, only have fat in my tummy and back area and I am only 5ft 2" its a issue! So I am here to support you and I know the struggle! Im going to add you :) Stay strong mamas!
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I had my kids back in my early 20's. I gained 60lbs with each kid putting me at an astonishing 200lbs. I was flabbergasted at the time but I had an excuse I had an entire human being in my belly and I lost the weight 6 months after each baby. Now I am 42 years old and weigh even more than I ever have. I weigh 212 and I don't have an excuse that there is a little human growing inside me. At 38 I had a hysterectomy and it seems like I really started putting on the pounds. I've never really exercised before but I joined a gym and my first day is tomorrow. I'm setting my first month goal and it's not to lose so many pounds or to lose so many inches...my goal is to be able to make it to the gym 4 times a week for a month. That is my biggest obsticle EXERCISE and my biggest FEAR!! I've never joined a message board before but I need to stay focused and I need support A LOT of support and hopefully I can be of some encouragement to someone out there.

Im right with you girlie!
    I'm 42 as well. Had my kids at 25 and 28. Gained 40 pounds each time and took it off within 6 months. They were big babies too...8 1/2 and 9 1/2 pounds! Ended at 170 and got back to 130. I'm about 5-7 pounds heavier right now than the day they were born! UGH!!!:sad:

I'd say I've had a problem with gaining for the last 8 years or so. I've yo-yo'ed a lot!!! If you want to add me as a buddy that would be great!