Anyone with hypothyroid (low thyroid) and losing weight?

Options
Anyone over 50 with low thyroid that has had luck losing weight? I have low thyroid, workout 5 days a week for 2 hrs a day, watch calories ans still haven't had any luck losing weight. I haven't gained but I need to lose at least 30 lbs. HELP!!! I need some support, some friends for support.

Replies

• clwasmer
    clwasmer Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    :drinker: hi nice to meet you! You sound like I feel lol.
  • ♥seoid♥
    ♥seoid♥ Posts: 476
    Options
    it's very hard. are you taking meds?
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Yes, but I take Synthroad every day!!!! It took a while to get the amount correct and it requires you see a doctor and have blood work done. But worth it. Also helped in many other facets too.
  • LindaHGreen
    LindaHGreen Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am over 50 and have had the same problem for several years; exercise, good diet, no weight gain and no weight loss. I take several meds, including synthroid, and it doesn't help. I've changed my approach and I'm making slow but steady progress. I exercise HARD 5 - 6 days a week and I track everything I put in my mouth. I try to burn at least 400 calories during my workout and stick to 1300 calories or less every day. Its hard, but I've lost a few pounds for the first time in about 3 years. Best of luck to you! I'd be happy to be your friend.
  • LindaHGreen
    LindaHGreen Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'd like to be your friend. We can keep each other motivated.
    Linda
  • KAG5150
    KAG5150 Posts: 15
    Options
    I am in my 30's and was diagnosed with a low functioning thyroid. I have a heck of a time losing weight. It seems some can just eat right and lose. Some can just exercise and lose. I have found I have to do both and do both full force. Basically very little cheating. One thing with you is you might be taking in too little calories for all the exercise. If you take in too little it will have the opposite effect on you and you will either gain or maintain. Make sure you are taking in the all of the calories that it says on here. You will probably gain a little at first but then you should level out (your body will get used to having the extra calories and not "starving") and begin losing. Also I began incorporating more protein in my diet. Instead of my nightly weight watchers ice cream bar, I replaced those calories with a protein smoothie. I am not sure but it seems to have helped me. My endocrinologist recommended this. But do not add calories with the protein smoothie (unless you are already way under your calorie goal) or you will gain weight; just make sure to replace some of the calories with these calories. Hope this helps,

Karil
  • anthrochix
    anthrochix Posts: 264
    Options
    I'm only 36 and have "borderline" levels, so am not getting treatment. I'm interested to see any responses as well. Any such thing as a thyroid "diet"? Any supplements that help? Thanks for posting.:happy:
  • hema
    hema Posts: 19
    Options
    Wow, Nice to see other with the same issue. I'm on med have been for years gained alot of weight right after my RAI therapy which was years ago and then of course menopause came, which doesn't help. Right now I'm really eating homemade nothing processed if processed it has to have only real food in it. If I can't say it or I won't have it to cook with I don't buy it. just read " Food Rules an eater manual" . I walk ro go to the gym for 2 hrs at least 5 days a week, keep my calories at 1,200. Maybe keeping track here will really help. and friends too. I'll be here a couple times a day I'm on FB a few times a day too. Thanks eveyone. Keep in touch.:happy:
  • clwasmer
    clwasmer Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hello! Took Grandchildren home (love them) but can't type for long, they want to help.I was always able to eat whatever I wanted and then one day (it seemed) I gained 22 lbs, My Hair was falling out, soo.. tired and Doc. said thyroid and things havent been the same since. Than 51 years old hit and lost my uterus and now it seems like my middle is here to stay.This is such a wonderful motivating site though I am sure it will be melting off in no time!!IDoes anyone take the Generic form of synthroid?This is what I take and I have heard some folks do well and some insist on the real deal.
  • hema
    hema Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Anyone who wants to add me as a friend just send the request.

Deb
  • lovetodance
    Options
    Yes, I too am hypothyroid and have been successful (very slowly) at losing weight. I have set my calorie goal to 1200 and I try to exercise from 30 minutes to an hour everyday...sometimes on weekends I fudge a little and rest.

I have only lost 6 pounds, but have lost 3 inches from my waist and 1 inch from my hips (that doesn't seem to budge)

I have begun eating oatmeal for breakfast with spenda blend brown sugar, spray butter, and 1/4 cup of blackberries or blueberries. I never used to eat breakfast and have found that I am not near as hungry in the evenings.

Weight loss can is possible but I have realized that starvation is not the answer...just eating healthy and watching calories...and or course exercise.