medication stopping weight loss?

Options
So I have been on this journey for almost 10 months now, and have only lost 30 lbs. That is an awesome loss, but according to my calorie intake, I should be losing 1-2lbs a week, but I haven't really lost much of anything in 2-3 months ( maybe a pound a month).

I am asthmatic, and last fall had a really hard time--bronchitis and asthma flares for 4 months straight. Finally in December we hit on a combination that has me in a good place--advair diskus 250/50, singulair 10mg, albuterol before exercising ( and for emergencies). Last night for giggles and grins I googled "can advair slow weight loss" and got a site where everyone has had weight gain or inability to lose weight while taking advair, singulair, albuterol , zyrtec ( just added zyrtec a few weeks ago until allergy season is 100% over), or any combination of the above!

Now I am considering stopping my singulair to see if my weight loss picks back up,

Has anyone had issues with asthma meds, or other meds slowing your weight loss when that is not supposed to be a side effect?

Replies

• Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    bump, I take zyrtec and zoloft...
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Hi Hun

First of all I want to say well done on your loss so far :)
    I currently take medication for depression and anxiety.
    I have been on the meds for just over one year and I have gained 28lbs, it was only a couple of weeks ago when I had my review with my doctor and he weighed me and said I have gained quite abit so he would like to see me lose at least 7lbs before Christmas.

This has given me the kick up the bum that I needed so I'm now joining a slimming class & will be taking part in aqua fit again.
    My doctor said the meds are a possible side effect has the do increase your appetite etc.

Stacey xx
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    If I'm not mistaken Advair contains steroids. Is that right? If so, I know steroids can be bad for weight loss. But it sounds like you're keeping at it and still losing, so that's great! In my opinion it's not a good idea to just stop a medication because of weight loss efforts. Talk to your doctor and see if there's another alternative, but don't just stop taking it. Some meds have to be tapered down and it might be helping you a lot more than you realize. You might endanger your health by stopping without consulting your doctor. Good luck and keep up the good work!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    If I'm not mistaken Advair contains steroids. Is that right? If so, I know steroids can be bad for weight loss. But it sounds like you're keeping at it and still losing, so that's great! In my opinion it's not a good idea to just stop a medication because of weight loss efforts. Talk to your doctor and see if there's another alternative, but don't just stop taking it. Some meds have to be tapered down and it might be helping you a lot more than you realize. You might endanger your health by stopping without consulting your doctor. Good luck and keep up the good work!

I'm planning on continuing the advair for now. It is definitely helping quite a bit--I have run out a time or two this year, and I can tell the difference. Right now I am contemplating reducing/eliminating the zyrtec and singulair one at a time to see if my weight loss picks back up. It shouldn't be this hard--my average TDEE is around 2500, and my calorie intake is around 1500. That means I *should* be able to lose 2lbs a week!
  • CherishQuick
    Options
    Congrats on your 30 pound loss. How old are you? I've crossed the 40 yard line and believe me the weight is hard to loose. Your asthma meds do have steroid components, however these meds are helping you to complete your exercise goals and stay healthy. If your health care covers it, I would sit down with a registered dietician to map out just how to get past your current plataue. I do not think zyrtec is causing any significant weight gain. Again, congrats and best of wishes for your success.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I think adding any medical condition to the equation will make weight loss an uphill battle. I don't know much about medications and the side effect, but I just wanted to congratulate you on your progress thus far!

You've been at this for 10 months and have seen some results. Keep at it, it's only helping your health in the long run!! :happy:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I'm planning on continuing the advair for now. It is definitely helping quite a bit--I have run out a time or two this year, and I can tell the difference. Right now I am contemplating reducing/eliminating the zyrtec and singulair one at a time to see if my weight loss picks back up. It shouldn't be this hard--my average TDEE is around 2500, and my calorie intake is around 1500. That means I *should* be able to lose 2lbs a week!

I don't know about zyrtec but it sounds dangerous to me to stop singulair. I guess it depends on the severity of your asthma. I'd still advise you to consult your doctor before you try stopping anything. Singulair's website says it has to be tapered, and there may be a specific way to do it.

Is there any particular reason you think those two meds are the culprit? I couldn't find anything about singulair causing increased appetite or weight gain. Just be safe, and good luck!
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I take singulair and zyrtec together, and I have not noticed a difference in my weight loss when I compare pre-meds and post-meds. Honestly, what I would do if I were you is make sure I am measuring all of my food correctly (get a food scale if you don't have one, they are wonderful!) and make sure your calorie burn at the gym is accurate (a real heart rate monitor with a chest strap). Also, have you adjusted you calorie intake since you've lost the 30 pounds (great job btw!!!)? It could be now that you've lost weight, you have a different calorie requirement. Also, have you changed up your gym/workout routine? Your body adapts remarkably fast to your workouts, and then they are no longer as challenging (bummer I know).

Just from personal experience, when I take away singulair, my lungs are not happy. I would rule out all other factors before discontinuing one of your medications. A plus of losing weight though, is that you may not need those meds (at least not all of them) once you reach your goal weight. Your weight can play a huge role on your symptoms. Whatever you decide, I wish you luck! Just make sure you have you doctors supervision if you do decide to discontinue one of your meds.
  • sarahrbraun
    Options
    I take singulair and zyrtec together, and I have not noticed a difference in my weight loss when I compare pre-meds and post-meds. Honestly, what I would do if I were you is make sure I am measuring all of my food correctly (get a food scale if you don't have one, they are wonderful!) and make sure your calorie burn at the gym is accurate (a real heart rate monitor with a chest strap). Also, have you adjusted you calorie intake since you've lost the 30 pounds (great job btw!!!)? It could be now that you've lost weight, you have a different calorie requirement. Also, have you changed up your gym/workout routine? Your body adapts remarkably fast to your workouts, and then they are no longer as challenging (bummer I know).

Just from personal experience, when I take away singulair, my lungs are not happy. I would rule out all other factors before discontinuing one of your medications. A plus of losing weight though, is that you may not need those meds (at least not all of them) once you reach your goal weight. Your weight can play a huge role on your symptoms. Whatever you decide, I wish you luck! Just make sure you have you doctors supervision if you do decide to discontinue one of your meds.

I started the meds before I began my journey--I think we hit on this combination around Thanksgiving. I only really had a good weight loss for about 2 months total. It took me 3 months to lose my first 7lbs, then I decided to go low carb ( I have a history of IR) and I lost 14lbs in 2 months...then it started tapering off 3-4lbs the 3rd month, then I was lucky to get 2lbs a month.

I measure my food 90% of the time--either weight or measuring cups. I did get a HRM with a chest strap 2 months ago, and I use it for my cardio. I wear my fitbit 24/7. I always use the treadmill, but I do hill intervals. As soon as the workout gets kinda easy, I up the incline level ( I'm on level 7, hills up to 5.6%, mostly back to back, a few random flat intervals). I also do strength, and I am increasing the weight as quickly as I can.

I have been regularly updating my info on MFP to make sure I am not eating too much.
  • carlee1212
    carlee1212 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi! I take get where you are coming from. I take lyrica 300mg for chronic pain. (Lyrica is for neuropathic pain.) It can make weight loss difficult, but at this point my doctor feels that I need it for now. I will listen to him because he has a better understanding than I do on this subject. Maybe ask your doctor. It might be possible that losing weight will help you more than the medicine, but I really don't know. Ask your doctor. :)
  • sarahrbraun
    Options
    Decided to do an experiment this week. I am talking half a singulair (5mg) and no zyrtec. If I am correct, Friday or Monday I should have a decent loss again.
  • sarahrbraun
    Options
    ugh! 3 days into this and my nose is running like a faucet...my inner ears ITCH....OMG it feels like my brain itches. Going to finish up the week of taking 1/2 a singlair, then going back to a whole one next week. Holding off on the zyrtec as long as I can.
  • sarahrbraun
    Options
    9 days into this, and I have lost a solid pound, despite it being TOM. AND I usually do NOT weigh in after 2 straight days of working out ( due to muscle repair), but I did this time, and showed a loss. It will be interesting to see what my weight is on Friday...
  • cassiepv
    cassiepv Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I started asking advair last year and gained 6 pounds immediately . It's definitely made weight loss harder . Google the possible side effects , weight gain is right up there .