Feeling a bit down.

Options
I've been using MFP for about a month now and I also got a FitBit about a month ago. I want to get down to 150 then try for 130. I am a 5'5" woman 45 years old. I was pushing 180 and had enough. Until I hit 30 years old I never weighed more than 120. So far I've lost a little over 7 pounds. But it seems the last week my body has been stuck at 172 give or take a few ounces. I stepped on the scale this morning and it read 173.1. I've cried about this. Nearly every day I am logging 1300 calories or less of food. And I pretty much cook every day so I am watching the types of foods I eat. I exercise at least 6 days a week. I've been doing the Shaun T Beachbody Rockin Body workout set and sweating for 30 to 45 minutes each day. It is a really good cardio workout. On Sundays I tend to get on our Tony Little Gazelle for a few hours each night while watching TV. So, my FitBit says I am burning typically around 2500 calories a day. So why why why am I not losing weight anymore? Why is my body stuck at this point? The math says I should be losing and I am getting very dejected. Any suggestions will be greatly welcomed. Thanks! Monique

Replies

• dixiebelle31
    Options
    No suggestions? Anything I should be doing differently?
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Just one week, just one pound. Relax; one pound gain probably is NOT from fat. I'd place my bet on water weight fluctuation, or even your bowel contents if you haven't been regular.

Are you eating 1300 total, or netting 1300?
  • kayduro
    kayduro Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm...I'm new here so probably not the best source of info but it sounds to me like you need to maybe eat more. Do you eat back your exercise calories? Can you open your diary so we can have a look and help you tweak it?
  • kayladean
    kayladean Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've been having the same problems. I have been on MFP about 5 weeks. So far I'm down 7 pounds. I try to eat clean at least 85% of the time and fit in 4-6 wirkouts each week. I was getting really stressed,thinking that I was not doing something right But after I sat down and really thought about it....7 pounds is nothing to frown about. Keep on doing what you're doing, keep a positive outlook, and "just keep swimming"! Good luck!! :happy:
  • dixiebelle31
    Options
    Thank you all for some replies. I am eating typically 1300 or less. I am not adding in the extra for the exercise because I thought that would be counter active to what I am doing. The FitBit site says I should be burning at least 1000 calories more than what I eat in order to lose 2 pounds a week. So, I try to stay within their graph. If I added eating extra calories I've "earned" through exercise, wouldn't I just stay the same weight?
    I've opened my diary. I didn't realize it was set to friends only. I use emeals.com for meal planning and have just switched to a low carb diet. So I will be reducing a lot of carbs and trying to also keep the fat intake minimal.
    Thanks for ALL the help.
  • dixiebelle31
    Options
    I've been having the same problems. I have been on MFP about 5 weeks. So far I'm down 7 pounds. I try to eat clean at least 85% of the time and fit in 4-6 wirkouts each week. I was getting really stressed,thinking that I was not doing something right But after I sat down and really thought about it....7 pounds is nothing to frown about. Keep on doing what you're doing, keep a positive outlook, and "just keep swimming"! Good luck!! :happy:

You are right, of course, but when the scale seems to keep staying the same and you know you are working your best, it just gets so dang frustrating. Thanks!
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    No suggestions? Anything I should be doing differently?

Trust me, I know you want it to come off yesterday. But just keep with it - remember - it didn't come on overnight and it won't come off overnight either. Just stick with your program girl. You can do it.
  • dixiebelle31
    Options
    Just one week, just one pound. Relax; one pound gain probably is NOT from fat. I'd place my bet on water weight fluctuation, or even your bowel contents if you haven't been regular.

Are you eating 1300 total, or netting 1300?

I've been really regular, and I try and weigh after my first "movement" in the morning. My hormones have been fluctuating a lot due to that lovely womanly change we tend to hit in our 40s. It's evil evil! :)
  • notmac
    notmac Posts: 89
    Options
    When we are a bit older (ugh - I'm 47 for 2 more weeks), Its just harder, not fair, but the facts are the facts. I try to stay around my recommended and "eat back" my calories. Change your goal, try for 1 pound a week. It is not how fast you get to your goal weight, but that you are progressing to it. I have my goal for one pound a week, some weeks, I have hit it, others not, others closer to 2 pounds, but with the changes I have made, it has come off. I started at 172, and have dropped 22 pounds, mainly just walking and Bob Harper's Weight Loss Yoga for exercising. Us "older" (young) girls can do it, we just have to do more than the young chick's.
  • Helen_Luvnlife
    Helen_Luvnlife Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I jump up and down all the time. But usually I will jump up and then drop good. Watch your sodium it could cause fluid retention. Drink lots of water. 12-16 cups a day. And give yourself time. I do think you need to increase your calories a little with that much exercise. And are you exercising every day? You should have at leas 1 rest day a wek.
  • Rogue_Minx
    Rogue_Minx Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like water weight or you're overdoing it with your exercise. Burning 2500 calories a day but only eating barely 1300? I feel like you're sabotaging yourself. I won't nitpick your exercise but I will say something that I feel like other people haven't.

Drink more than a gallon of water a day. Initially, you'll feel bloated and you'll be in and out of the bathroom a few times an hour but the ONLY way to cut water weight (without pills and caffeine) is to drink PLENTY of water. I know that a gallon sounds extreme and more sounds like murder but trust me, it's good for you. I drink a gallon a day AT LEAST and it keeps my whole body moving smoothly. Nothing gets stopped up and I don't retain water weight.

GIve it a try. Feel free to add me if you'd like to keep in touch. :smile:
  • hippiemere01
    Options
    I Love that you said "just keep Swimming". I know the feeling of being stuck while working your butt off and that just made my day :D
  • kayladean
    kayladean Posts: 16 Member
    Options

You are right, of course, but when the scale seems to keep staying the same and you know you are working your best, it just gets so dang frustrating. Thanks!

I have learned that the scale is the devil :devil: I would get on almost every morning, and then cry :sad: It became really hard to keep on going. So, now I only measure. It seems to work better for me. 5 weeks = 6.2 inches lost so far!! Maybe try measuring instead of the evil scale.
  • mdonovan
    Options
    Last week I went through the same thing and was disappointed when I barely dropped a pound. This week, however, if things stay consistent I should be down 3 lbs by the time I do my official weigh-in. I didn't do anything different, I'm just chalking it up to water weight. I know it's frustrating and discouraging, but keep up with what you're doing and you'll see and feel the changes.
  • norris12
    Options
    Relax - I quickly lost 20 lbs in a month and then nothing, for 3 weeks! I was a bit frustrated too but kept going. This week 3 lbs lost! I think our bodies go through phases and even though we are 'starving' and should be losing because lord knows, it's there to lose - it doesn't always happen. Many times throughout the week my weight can change 2-3 lbs + or -. As women, our hormones mess with our weight and retention of water. Stay focused and stay on course - it will come off! Also, aside from the scale, are you measuring your waist/hips? I started doing this because I could tell my clothes were much looser, even though the scale did not show it.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    You're putting way too much thought into these numbers. You have to relax and give it time. Seven pounds in a month is great progress; a lot of people here would be thrilled with those results.

You have to realize that weight loss is not a linear process. It stops and starts, sometimes the weight goes up and other times it goes down. Get comfortable with "eventually." If you eat right and maintain a deficit, you will eventually see the results you want. It just isn't going to happen on your terms.

Your body runs on a different timeline than you do. From your perspective, a month is a really long time; to a body capable of living a hundred years, it's next to nothing. Our bodies are built to resist change; you have to give enough time for it to recognize that the changes are permanent and adapt accordingly.

If you want it, then it shouldn't matter how fast it happens. Relax, stick to your plan, and wait for the results. If it's worth it to you, you won't care how long it took when you see that goal number on the scale.
  • dixiebelle31
    Options
    Ok I just looked over my food diary for the past week or so... and some days I've been under 1000 calories. And working out 7 days. The Shaun T Rockin Body has different workouts that he combines in variation and says to rest on Sundays but I haven't been. In my mind I think "eat less, exercise more and it will come off faster." Reading everything you guys/gals are saying is completely different than what I have been doing. So, I should make sure I get those 1200 - 1300 calories in and rest at least one day? It just didn't make sense to me that if I earn extra calories because of exercise that I should eat more. Sounded like if you burn 2000 calories but eat 2000 calories you will stay the same as you have been.
    I pretty much only drink water but not nearly a gallon a day. I'll try and do more. I have been taking a caffeine shot (Stok) in the morning because I seem to have developed some sort of asthma/wheezing thing over the past 6 months. I don't want to start using an inhaler. So, I've read that caffeine is a natural bronchial dilator so I do the Stok to help clear the wheezing first thing in the morning. Very little calories and not quite as much caffeine as a lot of other things. I just wouldn't be able to make it through my workout without it.
    You all have been VERY helpful. Thank you.
  • dixiebelle31
    Options
    I think I expect it faster because 2 years ago I did Nutrisystem for 2 months and lost 22 pounds. But, in 2 years I gained it back. This time I wanted to learn to do it the right way as a lifestyle change and not a diet. I want to learn how to eat properly with my own food (not prepackaged portions) and exercise. So, I just thought it would be faster like the Nutrisystem. I am learning new tools and I thank you all for the positive words.
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Also you may be putting on muscle mass from your exercise. I put on 10 pounds of muscles mass and lost a total of 20 pounds. That means I've lost 30 pounds of fat. Look at your body fat% and your measurements as well. You should see some changes there even if the scale doesn't move.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I think I expect it faster because 2 years ago I did Nutrisystem for 2 months and lost 22 pounds. But, in 2 years I gained it back. This time I wanted to learn to do it the right way as a lifestyle change and not a diet. I want to learn how to eat properly with my own food (not prepackaged portions) and exercise. So, I just thought it would be faster like the Nutrisystem. I am learning new tools and I thank you all for the positive words.

Quite the opposite. Eat properly and you will lose slower...which is the RIGHT way to do it. If you lose a pound...or even less...a week, as long as its consistent, you are doing it right. As you said, this IS a lifestyle change...you will be doing this for the rest of your life, so don't worry about a timetable. You have plenty of time. :)