Healthy food shop basics - help please

Options
Hi guys i would appreciate some help. I have decided i am not going to keep on living in my stupid little bubble pretending my diet and weight is ok and in order to lose weight, keep my body healthy and keep fit i have cleared out my kitchen fridge and drawers of all the crap and now I need to go out tommorow and do a healthy shop of the all basic healthy foods i need and was just wondering if any of you guys had any tips or an essentials food list you like to eat that have aided your healthy lifestyle and/or weight loss. Thanks guys :)

Replies

• jozzler
    jozzler Posts: 37
    Options
    Weetabix.! Breakfast, dinner, tea or snack. Filling and healthy at any time of day :)
  • PrimalNorth
    Options
    If it has a nutrition label it probrably aint all that nutritious.

Healthy food is obvious.

Just my opinion but forgoing all processed food (including wheatabunx) and eating real food only sure does help control the appetite, ensure you get all the nutrients you need, and saves money!
  • UncleRiotous
    Options
    In terms of stuff that fills you up that's low in calories then Weetabix, Ryvita and low fat yoghurt are all high on my list. I'd also recommend finding some kind of herbal tea that you like as it's 0 calorie and fills you up if you've got an urge to snack.

As far as general ingredients go I'll put a big shout out for courgette and marrow as they're both ridiculously low in calories and can be put into all kinds of things. The other thing that really surprised me recently was how low in calories eggs are, going the opposite way I was gobsmacked by how many calories are in chickpeas which I'd previously assumed were a great low calorie option.
  • lisab0864
    lisab0864 Posts: 154
    Options

Healthy food is obvious.

Just my opinion but forgoing all processed food (including wheatabunx) and eating real food only sure does help control the appetite, ensure you get all the nutrients you need, and saves money!

Definitely agree!!!
  • jozzler
    jozzler Posts: 37
    Options

Healthy food is obvious.

Definitely agree!!!

Hmmm, not so sure. So what about if i buy some eggs that come in a box with a nutritional label on? Or a bag of apples? Or a carton of milk? Or a tray of chicken breasts? Or a bag of brazil nuts? Everything has nutritional values, wether they come in a packet that has a nutritional label on or not.
  • dancinrascal
    dancinrascal Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    my shopping list!

-apples
    -sweet potatoes
    -canned pumpkin (used to mix in yogurt and oatmeal)
    -plain oatmeal
    -0% plain greek yogurt
    -grapes
    -bell pepper strips
    -baby carrots
    -snap peas
    -sliced deli turkey (look for low sodium/organic/nitrate free)
    -almond 100 calorie packs
    -almond butter
    -high fiber cereal from trader joe's
    -spaghetti squash
    -vegetables for roasting (eggplant, zucchini, carrots, butternut squash)
    -chicken breast
    -frozen kale
    -frozen mango chunks (good for sweet cravings)
    -trader joe's reduced guilt guacamole
    -spinach
    -tomatoes
    -lowfat salad dressing
    -balsamic vinegar
    -olive oil
    -green tea
  • samfday
    samfday Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I prefer to go organic when I can (I think it tastes better and I like to avoid chemicals where I can) but go with what suits your budget - I'm mostly vegetarian so you'd want to add meat if you like that but my staples are:

Fridge:
    Eggs
    Milk
    0% Fat greek yoghurt

Freezer:
    Oven Chips/Spiced Potato Wedges (less than 5% fat ones, Mccains are good in the UK)
    Bagged peas & sweetcorn

Cupboard:
    Tinned tomatoes
    Beans (kidney/haricot/pinto/black eye etc) - mostly bags of dried but some in cans for when i'm lazy
    Chickepas
    Split red lentils
    Green lentils
    Basmati & Wild Rice (any rice will do but I love this combination)
    Pasta (in many shapes & sizes)
    Arborio risotto rice
    Quinoa
    Cous Cous
    Corn Tortillas

Fruit: banana & apples as staples & I treat myself to something nice each week (melon/grapes/pears etc)

Vegetables: I get an organic box delivered each week with 8 different veggies in it, usually staples are potatoes/carrots/onions and then some more interesting stuff like courgettes/peppers/mushrooms and seasonal like squashes

Cereal: Granola is my personal favourite (Jordans super berry)

Also, I think spices & herbs are important for interesting meals, it would take ages to list them all but I have about 15-20 of each in jars in the cupboard!

For meals I tend to have granola & a banana for breakfast, homemade soup for lunch ( I make batches at the weekend and freeze them) and then for dinner I have a basic weekly plan of

Monday: Pasta
    Tuesday: Eggs
    Wednesday: Beans
    Thursday: Rice
    Friday: Quinoa/Cous Cous
    Saturday: Lentils
    Sunday:Seasonal (squash atm)

And I make a recipe based on my daily staple so I get variety but don't have to think too hard in the evenings!

For snacks I subscribe to Graze's low calorie plan which delivers me 4 little snack boxes each week (about 100-150kcal each) with a variety of nuts/seeds/dried fruit etc. I could buy these cheaper in bulk from the supermarket but for me it's worth paying a little more to get lots of variety.
  • Dollymix22
    Options
    Thanks for your input guys i've made a list and will go shopping tommorow and have added some of your suggestions. Thanks :)