Rewarding for losing weight by eating more food?!

Options
This may seem absurb but I tend to reward my weight loss each week with eating foods that are horrible for me and taking a break from counting calories for the day. Why do I feel the need to do this?! It's frustrating. It doesn't seem to set me back any pounds thank goodness, but it's very unhealthy. I get that the occassional splurge is necessary but does anyone else tend to have this problem?!

Replies

• fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Never. I reward myself with a new hair cut or new clothes or go to the movies. I set a goal and when I reach my goal I go shopping . Never reward yourself with food. Your not a dog are you? LOL
  • OTlove1
    OTlove1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    That's very sensible idea Mommy (or are you a cat?!), if only I wasn't in graduate school working on my master's and had time and money to go shopping. But you're right finding another reward system would be best.
  • MissRae123
    MissRae123 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I find myself doing this a lot. Knowing that it's completely counterproductive. I'm trying to stick to tthings like a mani or new top instead of Wendy's or Starbucks. Two trips to Wendy's I can save that money and buy a new top or get my nails done. Groupon is my friend for that kind of thing when I don't have a lot of cash
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    You've lost 31 pounds and if it isn't harming anything, then don't fix what's not broken.

I eat what I want, when I want, as long as fits in my goals.. and I'm in the best shape of my life.
  • ohnoetry
    ohnoetry Posts: 129
    Options
    I used to do this ALL THE TIME in my many (many) attempts to lose weight. It doesn't work for me. The way I see it, I need to work on my relationship with food and do allow myself "bad" foods because otherwise I would go crazy.

I've used a similar approach now where I do reward myself, but it's with other things like manicures, a new DVD, etc. the rewards get bigger as I reach the bigger milestones (I'm three pounds away from a new pair of boots!).
  • Reiyu
    Reiyu Posts: 6
    Options
    Rewarding with food is not the way to go cuz it's almost like you finally put the last block on your tower only to have someone knock it down. Try thinking of a different way to reward yourself. Like seeing a movie or going for a walk to just enjoy how far you have come to the new you. Simple appreciation to yourself I think Is plenty :)
  • Be_EmbracE
    Be_EmbracE Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I try not to reward myself with food but I will usually have a cheat meal once per week ^.^
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm diligent with my calorie counting on weekdays so I can have wiggle room on weekends. I don't consider it rewarding myself with food. I consider it living a normal life.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I'll accept that this is a problem for you, but really - who doesn't occasionally have something that doesn't really fit into the plan? We're only human, and (insert food of choice) tastes good even though it doesn't contribute to weight loss or your health. Just keep things like that to a minimum.

Thrift stores are good places to find cheap little rewards. I bought a pair of shoes there yesterday for $5.00, and they look brand new. Score!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem with having a food/night out as a reward for weight lost. For me, it's not as crazy as eating back your exercise calories. But what do I know? You have to do what works for you.

When I'm celebrating a specific weight loss milestone, I wrap it up with a special day (birthday, anniversary) when we would normally go out for a special meal.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    This may seem absurb but I tend to reward my weight loss each week with eating foods that are horrible for me and taking a break from counting calories for the day. Why do I feel the need to do this?! It's frustrating. It doesn't seem to set me back any pounds thank goodness, but it's very unhealthy. I get that the occassional splurge is necessary but does anyone else tend to have this problem?!
    Why is it a problem if it doesn't set you back?
    If you think it is unhealthy, you could begin to make some small changes, like, choose foods that are a treat to you, but that have healthier ingredients.
    You don't have to change everything at once, just a pick one or two things to improve, and make improvements week by week.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I don't reward myself with food. Why? because I practice having small amounts of my favorite crappy foods every few days anyway. I basically tell myself, if 80% of what I've eaten that day is healthy (which it usually is) then I can have a tiny bit of something bad if I want it. But usually I don't even want it. I prefer the way healthy, yummy food makes me feel.

It can be an unhealthy mindset to see junk food as a "reward", because that's basically telling yourself that eating healthy is an obligation & not beneficial. When in actuality, healthy food is the reward, healthy food is what provides the benefit. Shift the way you think.
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I get my cravings out of the way on one day each week... usually Sunday. With the "crazy" eating plan I'm on, I can't have cheese and bread on the same day except for "Sunday funday," So, you'll see me eating pizza on many sundays. It looks bad, on the outside, but, I use to be able to eat half a large pizza in one evening... or at least 3 pieces, and having the last for breakfast the next day. Now, I've slowed myself down to eating 1 or 2 pieces on tuesday, and the others are still in the fridge still waiting for me the following Sunday if the rest of my family didn't eat them first.

I count my calories very carefully all week, and my goal is to average 1450-1550 cal/day before exercise for the week. I can do that, and have all my "fun" in one day most weeks.

I've been doing this since June, and I'm still loosing an average of 2 lbs/week, so it works for me.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing but I'm not really worried about it. I eat wholesome, home-cooked meals 90% of the time... If I do great all week, I don't feel bad about going to happy hour and eating a bit of bar food with my drinks. There are some things that are delicious, but really don't fit into a 1700 calorie day of balanced macronutrients. Its not the end of the world to treat yourself to things you used to love and eat all the time, as long as they are infrequent indulgences!
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options

There is a point of view out there that you should "reward" yourselves once in while tor being good and losing weight. The definition of reward is "ambiguous" and most just take it as "food".

To me a reward is a new workout pant kn a smaller size or s new lipstick or eyeliner. I am a big believer in guilt free rewards. Always remembering that I still have ways to go to reach goal keeps me from making food mistakes. Also after 7months of eating healthy, my stomach cant handle crap anyway. I don't drool at the thought of fried foods. I feel nauseated.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    That's very sensible idea Mommy (or are you a cat?!), if only I wasn't in graduate school working on my master's and had time and money to go shopping. But you're right finding another reward system would be best.
    I"m a full time college student myself and still find ways to eat properly and reward myself with non food items. I also have 3 children to chase after. Its doable. You just have to want to do it. Thats the first battle.
  • OTlove1
    OTlove1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone foe your sugggestions! Everyone's life circumstances are very different so to find what works best for me might be allowing my self some of these bad foods just in moderation as a reward!

Mommy good for you for being such a success with your life and weight loss plan! Yay! Again...cant assume what works for you bc of your lifestyle is suitable for me!