Measuring food - spoons specifically

Options
Hello all, just new here, and I have a question. I'm struggling a bit with measurements etc.
I'm thinking specifically of peanut butter (or margarine or almond butter, whatever) when it says "1 tablespoon" does it mean level across the top - if so then :( or does it mean sort of scoped out and whatever fits on the spoon.

I wouldn't worry so much about these things for some other foods, but peanut butter is pretty high calories so I want to make sure I'm entering correctly. I don't worry about my calorie count being off 50 cal (I[ estimating quite a bit of stuff already) but I wouldn't want to be out 150 cals!!

So to sum up: level with top of spoon or heaping?

Thanks!

Replies

• moreORless50
    moreORless50 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    level across the top, most things are flat spoonfulls unless it states heaped
  • orangelobster
    Options
    ^^^^ thanks. However, this means that peanut butter etc is going to wreck havoc on my plans...:(
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    If you have a food scale, you can weigh out the PB. 1 tablespoon is about 13 g, at least that's what my PB jar says.
  • joshkilborn
    joshkilborn Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have some stuff called PB2 and it's awesome! It's basically roasted peanuts that have been pressed to squeeze the oil out of them and ground to a powder. I add milk to it and it's just like peanut butter but with 45 calories for 2 tbsp. They also have a chocolate version that's great! Amazon sells it and some local places if you're lucky. Try it out!
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Are you using actual measuring spoons? Because regular spoons vary hugely.
  • orangelobster
    Options
    @athenasurrend
    hmmm,. I never thought of that. Thanks
  • orangelobster
    Options
    I have some stuff called PB2 and it's awesome! It's basically roasted peanuts that have been pressed to squeeze the oil out of them and ground to a powder. I add milk to it and it's just like peanut butter but with 45 calories for 2 tbsp. They also have a chocolate version that's great! Amazon sells it and some local places if you're lucky. Try it out!

I will look for that, thanks. I suspect that my "obsession" with peanut butter is the desire for fat in my diet. It's not just the taste it's the sort of oily, fatty, salty stuff which I crave. It is my weakness (apparently) so I'm not sure that a "fatless" (for lack of a better word) peanut butter will be satisfying enough.
  • orangelobster
    Options
    If you have a food scale, you can weigh out the PB. 1 tablespoon is about 13 g, at least that's what my PB jar says.

I do have a food scale...somewhere....I should probably employ it I'm thinking.