TWINKIE DIET

Options
I read where a college professor lost 27 pounds in two months on eating nothing but Twinkies! This cannot be true can it? If it is, I should try it. I love sweets anyway.

Replies

• MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Brilliant! Let us know how it goes. Well, I guess you can only do that if it goes well. :laugh:
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I'm sure if you eat just one thing of anything you'll lose eventually. But Twinkies? Yuck.
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Only twinkies were eaten, but calories were counted. Yes, weight was lost, but I can only imagine how few twinkies you could eat in a day in order to lose weight. At 150 calories per cake, you would only be able to eat about 13 twinkies a day to stay just under 2000 calories. Not very filling.
  • Chigger56
    Chigger56 Posts: 105
    Options
    Mmmmm......twinkies.....
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Only twinkies were eaten, but calories were counted. Yes, weight was lost, but I can only imagine how few twinkies you could eat in a day in order to lose weight. At 150 calories per cake, you would only be able to eat about 13 twinkies a day to stay just under 2000 calories. Not very filling.
    This is true, it was an experiment to prove that cal deficit alone causes weight loss, not what you eat. It can be done with any food actually. I could eat nothing but French fries and have similar results by making sure I didn't eat over my daily cal goal.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    He supplemented with protein shakes and such to keep from having major nutritional problems. But it certainly proves the point that a calorie deficit is a calorie deficit.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
  • GmeB
    GmeB Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've actually heard of a guy that only ate Krispy Kreme doughnuts as a diet,and he lost like 80 some pounds. not for me,but damn!!
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Lol yes its true. The study was done to prove that calories in vs calories out is the basis of weight loss, no matter what you eat. But that diet will leave you feeling like total crap. And most people who's diet includes twinkies as a regular component are overweight because stuff like twinkies won't fill you & are addictive, so they'd eat way more calories than the guy in the study did.
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

"I wish I could say the outcomes are unhealthy. I wish I could say it's healthy. I'm not confident enough in doing that. That frustrates a lot of people. One side says it's irresponsible. It is unhealthy, but the data doesn't say that."
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    what's a twinkie?? sounds like a word for a penis... whatever you like bro...
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    While I am sure it works... I bet my migraines would be off the charts!

(the difference between weight loss and healthy is more pronounced in some)
  • aphid
    aphid Posts: 47
    Options
    i've never heard of twinkies but it's probably not healthy
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    This is what you do with twinkies stuff as many as you can in your mouth and when you can't put any more in your mouth then say your name. You will neer want to do it again. Cub Scout Skit
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    i've never heard of twinkies but it's probably not healthy

Twinkies are a delicious delight whos legacy will not be known for centuries to come
  • agirltoremember98
    Options
    It would probably work, but come on everyone knows that's not healthy.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options

That would be perfect, it could be under 20 bites.
  • dexter888
    Options
    He still ate some vegetables but yes a majority was through ONLY eating Twinkies & moderate excersize!!!!!!!

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Here is a similar story, about a girl who ate only chicken nuggets for 15 years and eventually collapsed and was hospitalized. Notice she does not appear to be overweight.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2092071/Stacey-Irvine-17-collapses-eating-McDonalds-chicken-nuggets-age-2.html

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2012/01/27/uk-teen-eats-chicken-nuggets-for-15-years-nothing-else/

It may work for weight loss but those proving weight loss can happen on only twinkies or krispy kreme or whatever (since it's JUST calories that matter) would be crazy to try to eat that way forever. I think a lot people who read those stories draw dangerous conclusions from it, my 2 cents.