1200 cals of chocolate

Options
Will eating 1200cals a day of healthy foods like fruit and veg etc cause me to loose weight faster than eating 1200 cals of unhealthy foods like chocolate and pizza?

Everyone goes on about calories but surely it's the type of cals too?

I know the obvious... Pizza and chocs every day isn't healthy but I'm only asking in regard to weight loss not health.

Replies

• cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Well from a mathematical stand point as long as you have a calorie deficit you should lose weight.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Will eating 1200cals a day of healthy foods like fruit and veg etc cause me to loose weight faster than eating 1200 cals of unhealthy foods like chocolate and pizza?

Everyone goes on about calories but surely it's the type of cals too?

I know the obvious... Pizza and chocs every day isn't healthy but I'm only asking in regard to weight loss not health.

perhaps, but you will feel and look like crap
  • new2canada
    new2canada Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I think you'd be a lot hungry eating 1200 cals of unhealthy food. A slice of pizza has over 200 cals per piece so you can only eat small amounts anyway to stay under 1200. It's fine to eat the odd unhealthy meal imo but not all the time or else you will put on weight...it's so hard to have the willpower to not go over the top with those kinds of foods.
  • dee_bee
    dee_bee Posts: 36
    Options
    You could eat 1200 cals of chocolate for breakfast and be starving throughout the day or you could choose to spend your cals throughout the day (and not be hungry) by eating lower calorie food. If you bring in proteins and whole grains you'll be fuller longer and over the day not eat so much.
  • rjacob1214
    rjacob1214 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You will still lose weight, but I believe that it would be more rapid with more nutritious food, because fiber keeps your food moving.

When we eat excessive fat, it can't be processed quickly so it tends to be stored.

There are also the undeniable health factors involved with eating a fatty, unhealthy diet, but You already know about those I'm sure.
  • Freidon
    Freidon Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Plus, without any protein, much of the weight you'll lose will be in muscle mass, which will cause your metabolism to slow down.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels said it's calories in calories out and that it didn't matter whether it were 1200 calories of chocolate or 1200 cals of healthy stuff. She said you'll not be very healthy and have a big ole stomachache after.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,878 Member
    Options
    I have used Optifast and it is shakes, bars and soup. I have drunk chocolat shakes and eaten chocolate bars all day and yes i lost weight but I am not sure that is entirely healthy even though there are added vitamins and protein. The first two ingredients in the shakes are water and sugar. The bars have high fructose corn syrup in them. If you spread them out over the day you are not hungry and you do lose weight because they are calorie restricted. However you don't learn to eat in a healthy way that you can maintain in the longterm.
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Your body prefers certain sources for it's calorie consumption over other sources. By denying it the sources it craves first, like bad carbs, you put fat closer to the top of the list of what our body will burn first.
    Long story short, yes, you will lose weight at a calorie deficit, however eating healthy will ensure that the weight you lose is more fat than lean body mass.
    *EDIT* All this being said, don't be afraid to have some chocolate every now and then. :)
  • Kaydana123
    Kaydana123 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yes, but the difference would be fairly small.

The idea that calories are calories and that's all there is to it is a myth, the digestion of proteins uses more energy than the digestion of fats and carbohydrates, and complex carbohydrates require more energy to digest than simple carbs.

Healthy foods also tend to require more effort in terms of chewing them too, as they tend to be less calorie dense. You'd have to chew more if you ate an apple than if you ate the equivalent number of calories as chocolate.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Strictly speaking from a point of weight loss (it DOES have a huge effect on health), the difference is essentially how much you'll get to eat. Pizza and chocolate are just fine - if you're okay with eating one meal a day. 1200 calories of healthy food generally goes a lot farther.
  • likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    While the thought is certainly tempting, it would not be sustainable in the long run.

For a healthy lifestyle you will want a diet with higher amounts of proteins, fiber, minerals and vitamins (than chocolate and pizza provide).

The key usually is - moderation.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I would be a willing participate in this study.