Is running that effective? versus other cardio?

Options
Up until now I have pretty much stuck to walking, swimming, biking (rarely now that i've moved... had to sell my bike too) and the elliptical for my cardio....

My recruiter has recommended I start running more as it will help shed the inches faster. I've never been a great long-distance runner (ran a 5k my sophomore year of high school in 26 minutes (best time I ever did! haven't come close since), but it's been a good 7 or 8 years since then) and I very limited to where I can run.

I have over the past month been trying to incorporate running into my workouts, however I noticed that I tire-out faster on treadmills then running outside ( I've only been able to run outside 3 times in the past month though due to weather--constant rain/drizzle for the past 3 weeks--so I only have the elliptical to work with. )

I was wondering if anyone has noticed a more significant change in their body when they do primarily/mostly running, versus cardio via elliptical/laps in a pool? :flowerforyou:

I don't have any problems with endurance (I can do a high level resistance & incline on the elliptical for 1.5 hrs straight before fatigue starts to set in--even at varied intervals/remaining at same level whole way through) and I frequently walk for miles at a time at 3.5-4 mph without problem. But its relatively low-impact compared to running.

:smile: Just curious! Any advice or if you could share your experience that would be nice! :happy:

I'm 5' 3" ... 23 years old ... 190lbs ... hourglass-shape ... currently sitting at 38% body fat and 117 pounds of lean body mass ( http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/lbm_calculator.htm ) I've graduated college and am currently living with my mum until I go off to boot camp (which depends on when/how fast I can drop another 3 inches)

Replies

• Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have access to a treadmill, elliptical and small pool... all of which are in the apartment Rec building. I live in the heart of a huge city near the hospital and downtown area so running more than block without having to stop for traffic lights is impossible and the college (about 5miles away) doesn't have a track to run on and it's few trails are more suitable to hiking then running. (Its only sports are tennis, swim team and a rowing team...no soccer/track type teams) and I live in a 2nd story apartment with an apartment below ours and above...:frown:
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I found that I leaned out more when I started running. I lost weight but my body fat was still higher than I wanted it to be so I took up running and lost that extra fat that I couldn't get rid of with diet. I find the elliptical much easier than the treadmill and the treadmill much easier than running outside. My first choice is to run outside if I possibly can.
  • Tempe729
    Options
    I love the elliptical and can get a good sweat worked up within a few minutes I just worry it's doing more toning/muscle-building (adding slightly to the already present inches rather then shaving them off)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you're going to boot camp then you need to run. It will help you lose the weight but even if it didn't you need to run anyway.

Get your body strong for running now so you don't get injured in boot camp. It will also be a whole lot easier if physical training isn't like a session from hell every morning.
  • leanmeanmom
    leanmeanmom Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post. I haven't done much exercise. Getting more fat on my body in the last few months. Never been a runner, and at 48 hoping not to hurt myself but honestly I think I've been way too lazy anyway. :embarassed: So it's time for me to start running. I did try a little last week during one of my walks. But only 30 seconds every 4 min of walking. Pray for me. I need to stop this fat from increasing any further and exercise is key. I really only take in about 1200 cal a day and lots of water. Also in menopause for last 4 years, when I have put on weight in cycles. HELP!!!
  • LetsDoThis103
    Options
    For me, running has been the most effective at helping me to lose weight. I've always been really active (well, for the last 8 years or so since I started working out!) Everyone is different, but for me, the most effective workout is by far, running (and outside is better than inside, because I notice more toning going on due to hills, etc.), followed by the stair climber, and weight training. I tend to avoid the elliptical, I don't really see results from using it, though people at the gym seem to love it (they ellipticals are always popular!)
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    If you're going to boot camp then you need to run. It will help you lose the weight but even if it didn't you need to run anyway.

Get your body strong for running now so you don't get injured in boot camp. It will also be a whole lot easier if physical training isn't like a session from hell every morning.

This

you will run in the rain in the cold, before the sun comes up after the sun goes down.

Run run run
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I find I can breathe rythmically when I am running (about 30 - 45 minutes) but if I exercise to Insanity's Pure Cardio my breathng and heart rate go above aerobic and I sweat buckets, so I see running as more sustainable over a longer period than more intense exercises which I could possibly not keep up with long term.

I wonder which one burns more calories? running at a moderate pace for 30 minutes or trying to keep up with the plyometrics and circuit training type movements of Insanity and having to jog on the spot for a while to let my heart rate and breathing settle back to where I can continue again.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options

No matter what shape you are in, it's hell! :)

Just run. It's a blast and good for you!
  • fab_fit33
    Options
    I started working out about two months ago. I started with the treadmill doing intervals of power walking on 4.0 and running for two min on 5. After my 45 min workout I would only burn like under 300 cal maybe 250. I didn't understand why this was the case. I spoke to a trainer who told me I didn't have to run I could just hike. My home gym treadmill can only go up to 15% incline but the gym where I have a membership goes up to 30 incline! In the beginning I would do 35min 15% incline and 3.5-3.7mph burned about 480 calories. Yesterday I went to the other gym did 45min 22.5-25% incline and 3.5-3.8mph burned 825 calories!
  • Tempe729
    Options
    I timed my last 1.5 mile run at around 13.5 minutes... Average treadmill speed is 4.0 mph walking/cooldown with running at 7-7.5 mph...(when I workout outside, running, I usually have the same pace... sometimes I get up to 8 mph on sprints when doing intervals though) I mainly did/do the elliptical to burn off calories.
  • Mokey41
    Options
    I timed my last 1.5 mile run at around 13.5 minutes... Average treadmill speed is 4.0 mph walking/cooldown with running at 7-7.5 mph...(when I workout outside, running, I usually have the same pace... sometimes I get up to 8 mph on sprints when doing intervals though) I mainly did/do the elliptical to burn off calories.

If you can run at that pace then hit the roads! Best work out you'll get.
  • Tempe729
    Options
    I find I can breathe rythmically when I am running (about 30 - 45 minutes) but if I exercise to Insanity's Pure Cardio my breathng and heart rate go above aerobic and I sweat buckets, so I see running as more sustainable over a longer period than more intense exercises which I could possibly not keep up with long term.

I wonder which one burns more calories? running at a moderate pace for 30 minutes or trying to keep up with the plyometrics and circuit training type movements of Insanity and having to jog on the spot for a while to let my heart rate and breathing settle back to where I can continue again.

I'm not too sure... I can only keep up the fast pace for a bit.... but I could jog (average 5-6mph) forever it feels like... I just hate the area i'm in.. and being Washington state... Autumn=Rain ... already gotten sick from working out in the rain... kinda wary on doing so again since it's taken me 3 days to get well enough to leave the house to workout
  • clee369
    clee369 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Get a job
  • Mokey41
    Options

I'm not too sure... I can only keep up the fast pace for a bit.... but I could jog (average 5-6mph) forever it feels like... I just hate the area i'm in.. and being Washington state... Autumn=Rain ... already gotten sick from working out in the rain... kinda wary on doing so again since it's taken me 3 days to get well enough to leave the house to workout

It feels like you could do it forever but can you do it forever? Hit the treadmill and keep running and don't stop at 1.5 miles. Basic training will be running, running and more running. They won't let you crap out at 1.5 miles. Put your treadmill on a small incline, crank it up and keep going to fail.
  • Tempe729
    Options
    Get a job

Had one while finishing my degrees. (bachelor degree in music education, minor in english).

Navy will be my job :tongue:
  • NavyWife8396
    NavyWife8396 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've used the elliptical a lot and was my primary means of cardio exercise for the first few months. I had lost almost 25 pounds when I started running. And since then I've lost 10 more pounds and I look slimmer than before and I don't think it's just the 10 pounds I lost. When I lost my first 10 pounds, I didn't notice much of a difference. But I really think running does slim you down.
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Running and swimming are generally considered to be the highest calorie burn activities you can do, but like anything else intensity is a huge factor. You'll burn more calories on an intense elliptical workout than a half-assed run. All things being equal though, running is one of the best cardio activities there are for calorie burn. I also strengths joints and connective tissue, and is a great for your cardiovascular system. Also, as other have already pointed out, if you join the military you're going to be running a ton. May as well get used to it.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Running and swimming are generally considered to be the highest calorie burn activities you can do, but like anything else intensity is a huge factor. You'll burn more calories on an intense elliptical workout than a half-assed run.
    Agree. Also the most effective exercise will be the one you can stick with and enjoy at least a little. I get bored on machines but can run for hours, so for me running will always burn the most calories, simply because I will push myself to an intense level and will stick with it for longer.
  • Tempe729
    Options
    Running and swimming are generally considered to be the highest calorie burn activities you can do, but like anything else intensity is a huge factor. You'll burn more calories on an intense elliptical workout than a half-assed run.
    Agree. Also the most effective exercise will be the one you can stick with and enjoy at least a little. I get bored on machines but can run for hours, so for me running will always burn the most calories, simply because I will push myself to an intense level and will stick with it for longer.

Yeah running/working out on machines does get boring even with good music or movie to watch... Just wish I didn't live where I am now.. Kinda miss college. Awesome workout facility and plenty of trails and places to run/walk.