How much is a glass of water

rkascak
rkascak Posts: 224 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I was wondering how many ounces of water are recommended a day?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    8x 8Oz (8X 250 ml = 1 cup)
  • i've been told 64 ounces. A small cup is 8 ounces. Try drinking water everytime you see a water fountain and always drinking water with meals and snacks.
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    I was wondering how many ounces of water are recommended a day?
    64 ounces is the commonly recommended minimum.
  • 64 fluid oz a day are recommended.
    This translates to eight 8-oz glasses or two 32-oz water bottles.
    Or three and a scosch 20-oz water bottles.
    Or about 1.89L.

As I understand it, there is some debate that water included in food could contribute for some of this, but most of us are not at risk for drowning via drinking water, so why not shoot for the full 64?
  • amwood83
    amwood83 Posts: 16
    There's an ongoing debate about that...some scientists think that you should have eight 8-oz glasses=64 ozs :)...but other scientists think that people are drinking too much water and it's affecting their iodide levels. And people will have iodide definicincies (the stuff found in salt...a severe lack of it causes goiters).

I think as long as you're in America, you probably won't have a lack of anything. Since we're a blessed country...but I personally try to drink as much water as I can remember which probably averages to about 40 ozs/day. I think I should drink more, but sometimes I get sick of peeing frequently...
  • jquintinjr
    jquintinjr Posts: 191
    * no such thing as a "small cup" a cup is a cup. 8oz
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    There's an ongoing debate about that...some scientists think that you should have eight 8-oz glasses=64 ozs :)...but other scientists think that people are drinking too much water and it's affecting their iodide levels. And people will have iodide definicincies (the stuff found in salt...a severe lack of it causes goiters).

I think as long as you're in America, you probably won't have a lack of anything. Since we're a blessed country...but I personally try to drink as much water as I can remember which probably averages to about 40 ozs/day. I think I should drink more, but sometimes I get sick of peeing frequently...
    You only have to pee so much if you pound the water. If you take it slowly, sip it all day then you won't go as often. Like a potted plant, if you pour the water on it then it runs out the bottom. If you trickle it over the plant, it all gets absorbed and your plant grows. :drinker:
  • BComley
    BComley Posts: 2
    It all depends on what else you are consuming during the day. You have to have a balance of water and sodium. To much sodium makes you retain water. However, in certain climates you need that. Too much water lowers your salt level in your blood and can cause some health issues.

It used to be recommended to drink 80 oz a day. If you are drinking coffee or other drinks that dehydrate you, you need to make up for that. I will go through periods of drinking a gallon of water a day just to flush my body.
  • mszSHOGAN
    mszSHOGAN Posts: 2,277 Member
    I agree with pretty much everything that was stated above. Drinking "enough" water is definitely something you need to train yourself for. I used to hate water but now it's all I drink. Well except for a cup of coffee in the morning. I average between 9-12 glasses I consume each day. Once you get in the habit of it and your body is used to it you'll know when you need to drink some.
  • emilyfh
    emilyfh Posts: 291 Member
    64 ounces or as much as you can drink before you start hearing and feeling the water slush when you walk. :laugh:
  • amwood83
    amwood83 Posts: 16
    Thanks for the tip! I am a "chugger" ;)
  • madmama
    madmama Posts: 123 Member
    How much water to drink, here is a calculation to determine how much is enough for you.

Your body weight in pounds divided in half equals the total amount of ounces of water you should consume in a day.

For example if you weigh 150 lbs you should consume 75 ounces of water. This would be between 9 and 10 8 ounce servings.

Also remember that water content is high in most fruits and vegies.
  • madmama
    madmama Posts: 123 Member
    The calculation I mentioned above is from the article, copy and paste the link below, and comes from the Canadian Dietitians Association or Canada Food Guide, I can't remember which.

http://www.canadianliving.com/health/nutrition/water_how_much_should_you_drink_every_day.php?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=bootcamp_10Feb2010
This discussion has been closed.