Arch Support!

Options
I want to begin running! But the last time I attempted it, I badly damaged my arch to the point where I couldn't walk.! Any suggestions on how to prevent this in the future?

Replies

• yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I would suggest looking for a reputable shoe store, preferable one that knows about sports shoes.

Here in MD, we have "Charm City Run" and that is where I went to get properly fitted for my running shoes.

I broke my ankle a few years ago and still have a plate and screws in my right foot. They tested my gait
    and based on the results, had me try on 4-5 pairs. And a bonus: they were not pricey- I paid more for my
    past pair at Footlocker than I did these shoes.

Also, you may want to look into insoles too.

Good Luck!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Yes, get fitted at a running store. If you have collapsed or low arches, you'll likely need a stability shoe.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    The proper pair of shoes makes a huge difference, and I'd recommend a pair of orthotic inserts. They can be a little pricey, but after suffering from plantar faciitis for the better part of a decade, the inserts & Active Release Therapy (ART) helped me get my pain, weight & lack of energy under control & now I'm getting ready to run a 10K next month, which is something I'd never thought possible even 8 months ago.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a job for Barefoot Running Man!

Find and read a copy of "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall, and look into a pair of Vibram FiveFingers shoes.

If you're serious about making this a long-term change, then I believe the best thing you can do is strengthen the feet you were born with - not try to find the best way to prop them up.

Strong feet are MUCH less prone to injury.
  • nayrairam
    Options
    This sounds like a job for Barefoot Running Man!

Find and read a copy of "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall, and look into a pair of Vibram FiveFingers shoes.

If you're serious about making this a long-term change, then I believe the best thing you can do is strengthen the feet you were born with - not try to find the best way to prop them up.

Strong feet are MUCH less prone to injury.

Wow, that is a good book. I just went on Amazon and read the first few pages! I'm going to see if I can get it at my local library.