Healthy food or not?

Options
Now we all know things like sugar isn't the best for us and we all have heard the bad rap that carbs and fats have gotten as well as sodium. Well I wanna know what is all of your opinions on what makes a food a healthy choice or a better choice then something else. Like do you choose the meal with lower carbs but slightly higher calories sodium and fat or vise versa? Things like that? Bottom line is what gives you the green light that it is a healhty food and the right choice?

** I get the no processed foods, as close to all natural as possible. I am asking more of when looking at things like the amount of whats in foods. Carbs, fats, sodium, sugar ect. :p

Replies

• SummerLovesPhil
    SummerLovesPhil Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    My general rule is, if mold won't eat it, I won't either. To translate, highly processed foods just aren't healthy in my book. I try to eat as close to nature as possible.
  • Amanda82691
    Amanda82691 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    My general rule is, if mold won't eat it, I won't either. To translate, highly processed foods just aren't healthy in my book. I try to eat as close to nature as possible.

I get that but are you saying you have no limits on how much sugar, carbs and fats your eating?
  • CamillaBeaumont
    CamillaBeaumont Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I choose homemade over processed and pre-packaged foods whenever possible. When I'm looking at pre-packaged foods in the grocery store, I choose the ones that less sodium, less additives, no artificial sweeteners, more organic ingredients. I don't really pay attention to the macros in my food diary when deciding what to eat, as long as I am under my calorie goal. That may change as I get closer to my end goal but for now it is working for me.
  • SummerLovesPhil
    SummerLovesPhil Posts: 242 Member
    Options

I get that but are you saying you have no limits on how much sugar, carbs and fats your eating?

In terms of numbers? No, not really. Unprocessed foods are mostly low in sugar anway, and don't contain nasties like HFCS, so that problem handles itself. I don't eat trans-fats ever and mostly steer clear of vegetable oils, so the fats I get are pretty good and I don't worry about them.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Good question.

I consider things healthy by their nutrient to calorie ratio. For example, if something is 100 calories, has 5 grams of fiber and 10 grams of protein, then I'd eat that rather than something of equal calorie count with more fat & sugar, and less protein & fiber.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I have minimum daily requirements for protein, fat and fiber. At least 105 (I shoot for 120 and up) grams of protein, and at least 39 grams of fat (I try to make most of that come from healthy sources, like EVOO). Once I have met the requirements, the rest can be anything -- more protein, more fat, or just a whole lot of carb including sugar.

The problem though, is that sugary foods have zero filling power. To make sure I stay full, I don't eat a lot of sugary foods. I don't have a big sweet tooth anyway.
  • Amanda82691
    Options
    Good question.

I consider things healthy by their nutrient to calorie ratio. For example, if something is 100 calories, has 5 grams of fiber and 10 grams of protein, then I'd eat that rather than something of equal calorie count with more fat & sugar, and less protein & fiber.

You have a similar tactic as I do. I do eat as close to natural as possible but sometimes that just doesn't happen lol. I do the whole comparison thing and if a number just seems too high I try to find an alternitive. Especially sodium I hate eating high sodium it makes me super tired and bloated.lol
  • Amanda82691
    Options
    I have minimum daily requirements for protein, fat and fiber. At least 105 (I shoot for 120 and up) grams of protein, and at least 39 grams of fat (I try to make most of that come from healthy sources, like EVOO). Once I have met the requirements, the rest can be anything -- more protein, more fat, or just a whole lot of carb including sugar.

The problem though, is that sugary foods have zero filling power. To make sure I stay full, I don't eat a lot of sugary foods. I don't have a big sweet tooth anyway.

Yes yes, you are very right. sugary goods aren't good. I try to keep my sugar to all natural sugars like the one's in fruits and veggies :p
  • thathockeychick23
    Options
    I tend to stick to natural sugars and foods that are low in sodium, unless I'm eating something I shouldn't be doing. I have a thing for McDonalds. Bad I know. Other than that, I tend to not pay much attention to fat or carbs. Most of the foods I eat are all natural and I stick to foods with the good fat. And I regularly eat fruits and veggies that I grow myself.
  • Thick2Fit1991
    Options
    My rule is. I don't shop in the middle 6 isles of any store. I tend to stick to the surrounding walls of the store which are usually bakery, dairy, protiens, then fruits and vegetables. Also if it comes in a package inside of a box chances are it isn't good for you, and if you buy frozen veggies or fruits and they dont taste like fresh veggies or fruits when you thaw them out chances are they arent that good for you. My only exception is: Salad dressings, Jams and Peanut Butter as well as Cereal.