My deadlifts arent geting better...help?

I've been lifting sine August. I do stronglifts and I've gone up 5lbs a week most weeks since starting except for the last three weeks. No improvement. Do I just keep trying and eventually I will go up? Is there anything I can do?

Replies

• clee369
    clee369 Posts: 101 Member
    Get a job
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    In all seriousness, try eating more. You need a calorie surplus to add weight on the bar once your neuromuscular system has adapted. I am doing this now and it seems to be working. Not a crazy surplus but a surplus nonetheless. I should add that this assumes grip strength is not an issue.
  • _lizzie_
    _lizzie_ Posts: 130
    Get a job

what?
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    How much are you lifting?
    Where do you feel like you're failing? Grip? Can't get it up?
    Get us a video of the form.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    You need a calorie surplus to add weight on the bar once your neuromuscular system has adapted.

^^this isn't true.

Stalls happen, and they're more frequent as the weight gets heavier. Just keep pushing, you'll add weight to the bar eventually.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    I've been lifting sine August. I do stronglifts and I've gone up 5lbs a week most weeks since starting except for the last three weeks. No improvement. Do I just keep trying and eventually I will go up? Is there anything I can do?

I do not do SL but I seem to recall that if you stall three times in a row you should deload, restart from there and work on form. Check out Mark Rippetoe's videos.
  • _lizzie_

Im doing 125lbs. I cant even lift it. It wont even budge. Its like those last 5lbs might as well be a thousand.
  • _lizzie_

I do not do SL but I seem to recall that if you stall three times in a row you should deload, restart from there and work on form. Check out Mark Rippetoe's videos.

I think your right about deloading...kind of makes me a bit sad to go back. I guess I have to do something.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    what's holding you back? your grip or your posterior chain?

if it's your grip (which happens to me) you might need a take a deadlift break for a week maybe do some farmer's walks with dumbbells..

if you've stalled because of other muscles, i find i will stall on all other exercises as well. when that happens i take a week off lifting and will eat at my maintenance. the next week i'm back at it and find that i start progressing again

the other option is to look for the 1.25 pound weight plates. if you cant go up by 5 pounds, maybe you can do 2.5?
  • _lizzie_
    In all seriousness, try eating more. You need a calorie surplus to add weight on the bar once your neuromuscular system has adapted. I am doing this now and it seems to be working. Not a crazy surplus but a surplus nonetheless. I should add that this assumes grip strength is not an issue.

How!? I eat the kitchen :laugh: ! I guess I could add some shakes...my boyfriend does the whey protein stuffs but I dont usually partake. I eat from 1500-2000 calories...just eat until Im stuffed really. Mostly venison and veggies cooked in tallow or butter. Sometimes we have curries. Dont worry about it really... should I eat more than that?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member

I think your right about deloading...kind of makes me a bit sad to go back. I guess I have to do something.
    Stronglifts calls for a 10% deload after 3 consecutive stalls.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member

Im doing 125lbs. I cant even lift it. It wont even budge. Its like those last 5lbs might as well be a thousand.

At 125lbs, I'd put a wager that this is a form issue. Let's get this video.
  • _lizzie_
    I cant do one right now...I did my workout before posting this and also Im about to do some of that eating we talked about earlier haha, but I will post one later.
  • _lizzie_
    Form check video link. I lifted only 95 for the video since I already worked out today.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoE9hEvoY7I&feature=youtu.be

Just ignore the PJs :embarassed: !
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Form check video link. I lifted only 95 for the video since I already worked out today.

There are a bunch of folks better at doing form checks than me but the main thing that I see is that you are a bit 'loose' in the torso. You should be pushing your chest (and butt) out more and engaging your core and lats more so you back is more rigid. At a heavier weight it looks like your back would round.

ETA: you do not look like you have much hip thrust either.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Last time I deloaded for a week, I came back and crushed all my PRs by a lot!
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    deload
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Try taking a break or going back to a lighter weight. I was stalling majorly on my squats for like 2-3 weeks stuck on a weight. I took a week off of working out and I came back and was able to knock out all reps easily. Probably could have done an extra rep or two.
  • ifyouknew
    ifyouknew Posts: 68 Member
    You could try de-loading or taking a week off. The other thing to look at is if you're lifting too frequently. I try to do my lifts on days when I haven't done a ton of cardio, and sometimes this means I end up lifting just 2 days after my previous weight lifting session. It's always a lot harder on those days then if I had left 3 days between workouts.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member

You are too much on top of the bar..........Look where her shoulders are compared to the bar

http://youtu.be/MX8jgCFXYTU