In need of weight room help.

Options
I have recently started going to the gym, and I have no idea what to do in the weight room. I ride the bike and do the elipticle, but I am a bit affraid of looking stupid in the weight room. What machines and exercises do you all recomend for a beginner? I am trying to live a healthier life, and am not looking to lose weight, but to sculpt and tone.

Replies

• acidglaze
    acidglaze Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Most gyms offer an introduction to the weight rooms where they will explain what the machines do, how to use them, and what muscles they target. I would ask whoever is at the front desk if there is someone that could help you familiarize yourself with the weight machines. Most are happy to help as it also avoids injuries and accidents.
  • hifinm
    hifinm Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Most Gyms will give you a free training session. Take advantage of that so you can learn how to properly use the machines. Even if they don't offer a free session, pay for one. It is worth it. You don't want to hurt yourself.
  • bluefan5591
    Options
    I actually did receive a personal training session. After a bodyfat and goal analysis he had me do lunges, kettle bells and floor ab work. All things I could do at home.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    check out starting strength and stronglifts.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com has quite a few workouts, and shows video on how to do them. If you have a smart phone, you can also download an app called Jefit that will also have some sample routines, and explanations on how to do certain exercises.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    It has always been my belief in using free weights instead of machines as they require you to use your core as well as other muscles to stabilise you in order to do your work out.
    I would strongly suggest you ask a trainer to draw you up a programme starting with basic weight training exercises and to do this programme with them so that you learn correct form. After you have mastered these and the weights (usually around 6 weeks) either up the weights or ask for another programme.
    Good luck!