Going to the gym tomorrow...

Options
So! I am going to the gym tomorrow for the first time in long time, my husband will be joining me. However, I am really nervous about it because I feel weird being so overweight and going to the gym. I really want to be able to use the lap pool, I used to be an avid swimmer on a swim team for years when I was a teenager but the thought of being around all the good looking in swim suits is starting to feel like a deterrent the night before I am supposed to go. I also am afraid to look straight silly trying to use the machine when I am so big, or even taking a run with all the jiggling and what not!

My husband, who is more of a workout buff then me and knows a lot more will have no problem showing me HOW to use the equipment, which is nice, so that's not really the problem. I am more concerned about the looks from other people and feeling self conscience. Now, I know the general rule is, who gives a crap what others think, but the fact is I do. I shouldn't, but I do.

My question to all you gym users: do you ever see someone who is obviously overweight at the gym and wonder why the heck are they there or bothering to be there? Is it generally true the gym tends to be for the in shape people and not so much over weight? For anyone overweight and going to the gym now, do you ever feel this way, and if so, how the heck did you get past it?

I am going to go, regardless of feeling insanely self conscience because my health depends on it at this point but I hate the fact that I feel so weird walking in there.

Also, totally new to using the message boards so hope I did it in the right place, and if not, my apologies!

Replies

• jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Anytime I see someone overweight at the gym (including myself) I think 'good for them' and am usually impressed at how hard they're working. go for it I know you'll feel fantastic for doing your best x
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I definitely see people who are obviously overweight at the gym and think how great it is that they are trying. People are harsh and judgmental but please don't let that stand in your way. Hopefully you will stick with it and look back and realize that taking that first step was a wonderful decision, the first of many you will make along the way :) Good luck!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been a regular gym user for years and have been to a lot of different gyms. I find that some are more friendly than others, although this shouldn't matter, but just as a note. I've always been towards the upper end of a healthy weight to slightly overweight but not as heavy as a lot of people on here. I can tell you that when I see very overweight or obese people at the gym working out a few things go through my mind.

1. That person's got 40kgs on me and they're here working out, if they can do it so can I. I struggle some days with motivation to work out so I find it inspiring to see overweight people there because if I'm finding it hard I can't even imagine how hard it is for them.
    2. I want to go over and give them a pat on the back and tell them not go give up because it gets easier and what a great job they're doing for just being there.
    3. Sometimes I want to give them some tips or advice if they're technique is lacking or I think they should be working harder or differently.

So some people may stare but these people are rude and not worth the time it takes to worry about them. Just get into it and one day you can be one of the fit healthy people. You won't regret it.

Oh and I find that some music helps if you just want to tune everyone out
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    i think its great when someone wants to get in shape, big or small. i was nervous going to the gym the first time too, and if anyone is mean it's because they are uncomfortable with themselves and immature
  • imaginaryplaces
    imaginaryplaces Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My question to all you gym users: do you ever see someone who is obviously overweight at the gym and wonder why the heck are they there or bothering to be there? Is it generally true the gym tends to be for the in shape people and not so much over weight? For anyone overweight and going to the gym now, do you ever feel this way, and if so, how the heck did you get past it?

First of all, the odds are good that there will be other overweight people at the gym. There certainly are at my gym - I used to be one of them (when I started going to the gym, I weighed 80 lbs more than I do now and was totally out of shape).

I think you'd be surprised at the number of fit-looking people at the gym who have not always been fit and/or have been overweight. So there will probably be other people there who can relate to you and are silently cheering you on. When I see overweight and/or unfit folks at my gym (which is quite normal), I know how hard it can be and I'm happy to see them there.

Finally, I think must people at the gym are absorbed in their workout and don't really pay that much attention to others around them.

So, I know it's hard to get started, but it's so worth it. Try not to worry about what others may or may not be thinking. Good luck!

ETA: I used to swim at my local YMCA and was always surprised at the range of ages, body types and fitness levels of other swimmers - they were certainly not all young hard bodies! I think a lot depends on the facility and, if possible, it's worth hunting for one that provides an atmosphere open and supportive to all fitness levels.
  • Michaelsdin
    Options
    People at gyms can be very harsh, but some can be very helpful. I went to a gym a couple years ago with a free 7 day pass went about 4 times during that 7 days I met this dude who didn't have to take his time to teach me good techniques but he seen me doing my workout in a wrong way and told me i could get hurt. He taught me the right form of doing certain things. sadly I couldn't afford the gym and haven't been able to for years but i will never forget that. We are now friends and he still trys to get me to go to the gym with him when he gets free passes.
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym and I have a lot to lose, (over 200lbs to lose). Personally I don't care what others think however i have had a few people tell me how great it is to see me in the gym and that they wish others would take things into their own hands to get healthy

Prior to starting at the gym I did wonder the same thing and have been to many different gyms. I have found that it depends on the gym you go to. The least judgement that I have ever received was going to the one I go to now. Which is anytime fitness
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Feel proud, I can't swim hardly at all. Just remember you are doing this for you and you are doing what you need to do to get healthy.
  • mznortiz
    mznortiz Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    i will be there. i get to watch supernatural. and get in an hour of cardio!
  • Jeanlk4
    Jeanlk4 Posts: 18
    Options
    mznortiz, supernatural and working out- now that's a fabulous idea!

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone. It's nice to hear what other gym goers say. I hadn't really considered the fact that if I stay a gym user and healthy eater that eventually I will be the in fit gym user and can give support to someone like me....

Ahhh, we will see. Here's to hoping!
  • veggieluver2
    veggieluver2 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Ditto this! Especially, when I see them jogging on the treadmill and I'm huffing and puffing!

1. That person's got 40kgs on me and they're here working out, if they can do it so can I. I struggle some days with motivation to work out so I find it inspiring to see overweight people there because if I'm finding it hard I can't even imagine how hard it is for them.
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    When I see someone overweight I don't judge because I know that I do not know how long ago they started, and that it could be the beginning of them turning their lives around.

Or I consider that maybe they were larger once, and that they've improved compared to what they were, and now they're getting there

People really shouldn't judge - they don't know the stage of someone's journey.
    I don't have a perfect "gym" body yet, but I AM getting there. I hope people at the gym know that I am still in my journey and not at maintenance yet!
    Most people at the gym would be understanding and won't judge (at least they shouldn't judge!)
    Good luck :)
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    When I went to the gym, I saw more overweight people there than people who were in top-notch shape. Anybody gives you the stink eye, give it right back. We all go to the gym for the same reason. If you are clueless on the machines or weights, just ask somebody. I'm sure they wouldn't hesitate to give you a pointer or two.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    No one will look at you and think "what the heck is SHE doing here?" That makes no sense. Obviously you are there to get healthier. Duh.
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I see overweight people at the gym all the time and feel proud of them for taking control and reclaiming themselves. And, I can say from my own experience having been an overweight guy in the gym, few of the athletic people frown on the overweight people. Quite the opposite. In my experience they were more then encouraging in their glances and equally willing to help explain the equipment if I was doing something wrong.

For the most part, people in the gym are in their own bubble, doing their thing and listening to whatever is on their music player, phone, whatever.

Channel your energy into working hard towards your goal. Have fun with it. Rock it even. You're gonna do great!! :happy:
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    No one will look at you and think "what the heck is SHE doing here?" That makes no sense. Obviously you are there to get healthier. Duh.

yep
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I admire overweight people at my gym - I know how hard it is to get there feeling that others are judgemental which I don't think is hardly ever the case.
  • rachelerwin
    rachelerwin Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am one of those overweight people at the gym. I was very nervous the first time I went but I kept going anyway and I am glad I did because I have now lost over 100 pounds. At the gym I go to there are people of all shapes and sizes and I have never had anyone look down on me. In fact I have had people alot smaller than me say that I am an inspiration to them. We are all there for the same reason, to get healthy. Best wishes on your journey to a healthier you.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'm the type of person who wouldn't think twice. I wouldn't really even notice that they were really overweight unless someone pointed it out to me. And then, I would probably do the "who the hell cares?" kind of deal. If anything, more power to em. I mean, isn't that what people go to the gym for a lot of the time; to lose weight? You have to start somewhere.

Honestly, the only 2 things that make me mad at the gym are
    1: When people don't clean off their machines and,
    2: When people swarm on Mondays, and don't show up for the rest of the week... I obviously don't know the exactly individuals, but for some reason it really annoys me. Yes, I understand maybe they go at different times, etc. I just hate how dang busy it is on Mondays (and Fridays, too). So, I generally avoid Monday gym days, especially in the evening. I will only go on Monday's around 1-2, or after 8pm. :/ It's a weird quirk, sorry lol
  • Game8
    Game8 Posts: 442
    Options
    I actually feel respect when I see overweight people doing their thing at the gym not minding what others think, because I know it takes a lot of courage and determination to do.