Short person cardio?

Options
Ok so I am 4 foot 8, with a short stride. When I am on the treadmill, 2.5 is a fast walk and 3.5-4.0 I am running. My friend that I work out with is taller, and when she is next to me on the treadmill, I notice we are walking the same pace, same steps, yet she is on 4.0. When she starts running, she is on 5 or 6mph, which is sprinting for me!

My question is, if we are taking the same amount of steps, even though she is going "faster" than me on the treadmill, when he treadmill hits a mile, did I go a mile too, even if my treadmill says I haven't because my speed is lower? Is there a more accurate way to track how miles based on stride length compared to what the treadmill says?

I just get unmotivated sometimes because we both do our "mile" since she is walking 4.0 leisurely and I am walking 3.0 power walk, she gets done in a better time, when we in fact our taking the same amount of steps.

Help?!

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Yup sucks to be short but the treadmill is measuring distance by the belt revolutions and with you going at a slower speed it's going to take longer to cover the same distance. I'm 5'2" and my daughter is almost 6'. When I run on the road with her I can match her step for step but she's pulling away from me because her stride is a good 6" longer than mine so she gains on me with every step.
  • Shawnuhhbauss
    Shawnuhhbauss Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Short people problems =[ I feel you here, Robbys steps are like 2-3 of mine!!