I came in last in my race this weekend - and loved! NSV

Options
AsellusReborn
AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
One of the best things I have ever done for myself is teach myself to run. I was the girl who couldn't run, I wasn't built for it, even when I was overly thin. (Which I am obviously not now, LOL) I had no cardiovascular fitness so running was impossible for me - I didn't run the mile in high school. So teaching myself to run was an amazing journey of self empowerment and proving that my hard limits weren't so hard after all.

But one of my biggest fears - as I am definitely a slow, slow runner lol - was coming in last in a race. My first 2 races were big - a few thousand people - and while I was in the bottom third-ish, I wasn't last. My first 5K on 9/13 I was 1936 of 2501 - my second on 9/23 was 1844 of 2312, and my third 5K was 266 of 371.

But this weekend was my first 10K. It was supposed to be 2 weeks ago but it was cancelled due to weather, so it was smaller than it would have been originally - but it was a whopping 48 people in the 5K and 21 (yes, twenty-one!) in the 10K. I came in at a solid 21, 10 minutes behind number 20 - but I'm not upset like I thought I would be. I was sort of waiting for the excitement to die down and me to get upset at coming in last, but I'm actually really happy.

Like I said - I'm a slow runner. My first 5K was a 13:00 pace, my second a 12:51 pace, my third an 11:54 pace. My long runs are usually a 13, 13 1/2 pace. My pace for this weekend was 12:26. So not only was I a good chunk faster than my first two races only about a month ago - but I paced myself consistently (my splits were just about dead even!) and I -finished-! 4 months ago, when I just started my weightloss journey, I did not dream of running - at all. I didn't start the C25K program until 7/31. Me running a mile would have been met with disbelief - much less 6.2. I have come so much further than I ever thought I was, even if I never get faster or lose any more weight. I am healthier and in better shape than I have been since...ever...even if I'm not the thinnest I've ever been.

And you know what? I got a finisher's medal. It's a win!

Replies

• jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I think that is AWESOME and I am on a similar journey. Congratulations to you!!! And keep on running!!!:flowerforyou:
  • mlwatts2
    mlwatts2 Posts: 247
    Options
    Celebrate the improvement!! GO YOU!!!
  • cckellympls
    cckellympls Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I love this post! Thanks! I am a slow runner and i am doing the C2 5K training right now. I don't have a race in mind to run but i want to be able to run.....race or not. Who cares what your place was! I am glad you are celebrating your success!!! You are running and you are improving your own time. That is awesome!!! Keep up the fantastic work and cheers to your personal journey!!! When i get on that treadmill tomorrow and start week 7 of my training i will be thinking of you!!!
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    You deserve more than a finisher's medal. You deserve a Parade!
    Super well done. If I had one I would award you "The Silver Sneaker Award"!
    Great job!
  • NicoleNeverman
    Options
    Good on you! That is so great to hear. I just started to C25K program, just starting week 2 today. I hope I have as much success with it as you have :smile:
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    Thank you~!!! :) Good luck on your journey - it is amazing!

Thank you, mlwatts! :)

Corinne, there is nothing wrong with slow - we're running, and that's the important part! :)

Oooh, I love the idea of the silver sneaker! :D

Good luck with the c25k program - it will do great things for you; you'll be amazed at what you can do with it :)
  • MGMum
    MGMum Posts: 29
    Options
    Way to go Heather! It's awesome you're doing so many races! I'm finding it tough to get out for my normal runs, let alone a race! LOL
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    Way to go Heather! It's awesome you're doing so many races! I'm finding it tough to get out for my normal runs, let alone a race! LOL

Thank you! Lol, races are fun! I only have one more this year - I have one on my birthday in a few weeks as a way to celebrate a day I usually dread. Then no more until my half marathon in...January I think it was!
  • PatriceMG
    PatriceMG Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I started c25k but didn't finish it in time for my first 5k. A color run last month. Finished, but had to walk a few times. At a fast pace tho. I was happy to finish. Got back to the c25k this week and hope to finish it before my next run. A mud run. I plan on running the whole thing. The planned future races help to keep me motivated! Neither of these are timed so I don't know my pace. A 10k is awesome! I hope to do one sometime in the future! great NSV! Congrats!
  • aStrongerSteph
    aStrongerSteph Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Awesome accomplishment!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Awesome!! You have found the REAL Motivation for Running -- The Pure Joy of it!!
    I have that same feeling for Walking. You are a Winner in My Book just because you Finished and -- More Importantly!! -- You ENJOYED IT!!!

:flowerforyou: :drinker: Congratulations:heart::happy:
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Great job!!
  • meggolego
    Options
    Congrats! That is awesome! I just signed up for my 2nd 5k, it's on Nov 18!

I used to run cross country in middle school and came in dead last every. single. race. (except once, who knew there was someone slower than me?!). It was so embarrassing. I didn't run after that season. I started C25k this past spring and now i'm addicted to running! I'm hoping to do a half-marathon next year, just need to start training!

I'm to the point where I'm always on the lookout for new running clothes, without feeling like everyone around me is judging me buying those clothes. Running is definitely the best high!!
  • Cheeta_HH
    Cheeta_HH Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Great post! Congratulations on your 10K! You should definitely be proud of your accomplishment and your healthy attitude! I can't wait to hear about your next race.
  • gargisingh
    gargisingh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    It is win- total win! And, I am so glad that you are proud of it! I can totally relate to not being a runner ever as a kid, until now. I do not remember a single race in which I was not last during my school days. And, last like really last. I would get booed too. When I started running as an adult (and oh! the courage it took to fight that inertia and pain!) I started even slower than you. I took more than 6 hours to run my first marathon. But I did it and I got a finisher's medal too.
    I can totally resonate with your pride right now! Awesome! Heartiest congratulations! :flowerforyou:
  • sarahmaren
    Options
    You're awesome! Good grief if you're a slow runner there is no hope for me! :) Congrats on a great finish no matter what!
  • Rabbit914
    Rabbit914 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    You are getting progressively better and even in you didn't come in first you're coming in first in your own race and that's awesome. I ran my first 5K this last weekend and my only goal for myself was to run in the entire thing without stopping and I did that. So i don't compare myself to others, but know that I accomplished MY goal and I'm psyched! Congrats to you and good luck in all your future races and future goals!
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    But you didn't come in last.... there was a bunch of people sitting on the couch that day who you left choking on your dust!!! You should be very proud of how hard you worked to get across that finish line. Excellent job.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    That's an awesome improvement on your time - way to go!!!
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    This is the best NSV i've seen in a long time!! BIG CONGrATS to you!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!