50-100 LB WT LOSS

Options
JUST CURIOUS, HAS THE SUCCESS STORIES OF WT LOSS 50-100LBS WEIGHT LOSS BEEN FROM DIET AND EXERCISE ALONE OR FROM GASTRIC SURGERY??? JUST ASKING BECAUSE I WAS JUST DENIED APPROVAL FOR LAP BAND PROCEDURE AND THIS IS MY BACK UP PLAN... NEED TO LOSE 85LBS APPROX, HAVE ALREADY LOST 10LBS, BUT NEED SOME ISTATS ON SUCCESS WITHOUT SURGERY.

Replies

• pipinana
    pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
    Options
    =) oh there are PLENTY on here! And you come to the right place!!!! I'm just at 29.8 lost right now, but my final goal will be 50 lbs lost. YOU CAN SO DO THIS W/O SURGERY! Believe in yourself, and make it happen! Good luck!!!!! =)
  • freedMan
    freedMan Posts: 68
    Options
    Im at 40lns lost right now with my goal weight loss just under 80lbs. I would say its successful, but requires discipline and hard work. Its easy when you can't eat more food and harder when its you making the choice, not your stomach size. It's a cheaper alternative as well with longer lasting benefits because its a lifestyle change!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    No surgery here! :happy:

Edit: That is to say -- the thought never crossed my mind. My guess is that I have somewhere between 100-120 pounds to lose in total. I've changed my lifestyle by eating healthy REAL food and moving more. Found exercise I love (running and biking) and made up my mind that I was going to do this. And I'm doing it. It's actually pretty simple for me. So simple that I'm almost angry at myself for not figuring all this out sooner.
  • carp68
    carp68 Posts: 42
    Options
    It's true--I owe it all to diet and exercise. It can be done--you can do it, too. Hang in there!
  • guidosgal
    guidosgal Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    43 LBs from changing my eating habits and doing some exercise. You can do it it just takes time and you have to make it a lifestyle choice and not a diet :bigsmile:
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Be glad you were turned down for the surgery. That's not going to change your lifestyle. If you want to lose the weight, you have got to change your lifestyle. Not everything at once, but the more you change the more results you'll see. You'll find tons of support and others who have had the same results you are looking for right here. This should have been your first option, because then that silly surgery wouldn't have ever needed to be an option. You can do this. You will do this. We'll all help you do this. LET'S DO THIS!!!
  • DaveyGravy
    DaveyGravy Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Mine has been purely from exercise and changes to my diet. There was no way I would have even considered any form of surgery, that isn't for me. All it takes is hard work and dedication to your goals. Nothing else is needed. If you ever need advice, then there's a wealth of knowledge and support on these forums and more around the net.
  • fluffyfeathers
    fluffyfeathers Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    THANKS EVERYONE I FEEL ENCOURAGED THIS TIME TO DO IT, AND I FEEL EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A GOOD GOD REASON
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I'm right at 50 pounds lost and surgery has never crossed my mind! It can be very difficult at times, but it is very possible! Like previous posters said, you need to do this to change your lifestyle so you can maintain those results. You will be so much healthier! I feel SO much better since I lost the weight, and I don't know that I would feel this good if I would have done it with surgery. We're all here to help when you need it. You can do it!
  • cdickey
    cdickey Posts: 230
    Options
    Diet and excercise here. My SIL had lapband done and when she had it done I started on this site. We have both done well but I'm glad I didn't have to go to the extreme of having surgery. Not that I didn't think about it, I did. I just wanted to see if there was a better/less invasive way and I found it on this site.
  • sleitner
    sleitner Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hello and congratulations on your head start to being healthy. MFP is all about life-style change not “diet”. I had to recognize and accept that last May when I knew enough was enough. So far, I have lost 52 lbs with a total goal of 85 lbs to lose. I plan to be down 60 lbs by this May which would be a year. Initially is was all about losing weight because I hated going clothes shopping, taking my kids to the local swimming pool, etc. but now it’s about being healthy and fit. Which is both about food choices and exercise…the “true” way. Anything else is just a quick fix. YOU can do it!!!
  • 86ftj
    86ftj Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you all for this thread it really has given me more hope than ever, i have around 50lbs to lose and stated on this site just 4 days ago, its wonderfully enmcouraging to seethat it can be done!
  • waterlibby
    waterlibby Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have thought about surgery before. It scares me for many reasons.
    I want to be able to do this. I was thin before.
    How did you guys do it?
    Where did you find the strength?
  • jclguru
    jclguru Posts: 123
    Options
    I basically just stopped going to McDonalds...you know you go there to often when they have
    a menu selection named after you...and said bye-bye to Pepsi. Won't give up my mayonaise though.

I also exercise at least 2 hours a day and try to burn in the neighborhood of 1800 calories from that
    exercise.

Been doing it since last May.

Doug
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    How did you guys do it?
    Where did you find the strength?

No real strength required.
    Just determination. And knowledge.
    It's not difficult for me at all anymore but I had to figure out a lot of stuff to get to this point. Since I never learned healthy eating and exercise habits as a child, I had to teach them all to myself as an adult. I don't deprive myself of anything I really want, I don't do exercise I don't enjoy doing (but I tend to be able to find a reason to enjoy almost any of it). And most importantly, I don't give up.

I guess if you need strength, think about the fact that your health is EVERYTHING. If you don't care about it, why bother caring about anything else? That may seem like a negative outlook, but it sure is realistic.
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    Heathy Lifestyle and Exercise Here Too!!!!!:flowerforyou: It can be done!!!!!!!!!!!

After being told at 17 that if I did not lose the weight and get my blood pressure under control I was going to be put on medication within a year, I guess I knew I had to. I had a whole list of health problem related to obesity that a normal 17 year old should not even have to worry about. I guess getting control of my life for the first time ever and being able to live and have fun without having to worry about health problems was motivation enough for me.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!