Why are we Anti Diets But Swear But Fad Workouts????

Options

Replies

• TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    There are no "fad " workouts......as long as your working out and doing what you like..then yay!! You will succeed. People have a wide variety of things they like to do for workouts hence, all the different types of workouts, ways to workout, places to workout, activities to do and so on and so on. Most, if not all, of these so called " fad " workouts were built more less out of the reasoning that everyone wants variety in their programs and thats mainly what these "fad " programs give. Some are more intense, some use weights, some use nothing more than body weight, some throw big kettle balls in the air and some jump around and wiggle there booties to stupid music. Diets however, are fads........anybody even know that the Atkins diet came out originally in the '70's??? yep and then made its rounds once again 10 years or so ago. I have Dr. Atikins original book that he republish 10 years ago and its the exact same book!! Fact is, a well balanced diet with all sources of food macro -nutrients is still the best long term solution and that, is NOT a "fad".
  • kuzurichan
    Options
    Hahaha, this makes so little sense it's hilarious.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Exercise can be maintained over the long term if you work at it. Can you do the same workout video for the rest of your life? No, that would be boring and you would stall your own progress. But you can use videos as a stepping stone to up your fitness level. I've done 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30 multiple times, and my fitness level is MUCH better because of it. Plus with workout videos, when you finish or get bored with one, you can always buy another. I like working out in the gym to, but for resistance training, I like to have someone telling me what to do and when, and I can't afford a personal trainer, so workout DVDs fit the bill. I don't think it's fair to call them a fad when they help so many people and your fitness is so greatly improved by them.
  • tracypk
    tracypk Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    OP if you're going to make a point about an exercise program being a fad pick one that make sense. Insanity and P90X are not fads. The shaker weight and thighmaster are. I would say that even the 10 minute workouts aren't fads because someone will buy it and get moving. I'm going to make an assumption here and say that your premise for saying the exercise programs are fads is because the infomercials make people think that if they buy the program they will have a super sexy body. Which is true IF you actually do the workout and you stick with it until you reach your goal. That being said, I have done insanity and it does work. I have not found that recently I can actually stick to doing a whole workout. I lost my stamina. So I have switched to a workout that I can do. I will do insanity again. I LOVE IT!

I get what you are saying, but at the same time what these videos do for you is good. You have to actually do them, that's the catch.

What fad diets do for you is restrict and I wouldn't even say that all of them are fads either. If someone does well restricting carbs (Atkins), it works. Weightloss itself is the restriction of calories. Whatever works, works. As the "fads" come and go people hang onto what works.

(You may want to proof read your posts "But Fad Workouts" Huh?)
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    This topic is nonsensical. Fad diets aren't even comparable to what the OP is calling "fad workouts."

A fad diet is usually an extreme dietary restriction with strict rules that is unsustainable in the long term but promises overnight results.

A fad workout as the OP describes it (P90X and the like) is nothing more than just a new way of delivering the exercise instructions that you'd be following anyway. Whether you grab some weights and do P90X at home or head to the gym and lift the weights there, you're still doing exactly the same thing.

There are fad exercise products (Thighmaster, AbCircle, etc.) that are more in line with fad diets in that they promise instantaneous results for minimal effort and don't deliver, but that's not what the OP mentioned.
  • daphnemoon
    daphnemoon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    What a ridiculous thread.

I go to the gym regularly to exercise classes but will be doing Insanity in two weeks' time.

As far as I remember there are no 'levels' in the way you are referring to in ANY of my gym classes, so your point of comparison is irrelevant. You can't compare them and I've no idea why you have such a chip on your shoulder about home workouts. It's different strokes and all that. You do what you enjoy and let others get on with what they enjoy. End of.
  • newmom312
    newmom312 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've been using exercise videos for years and don't see them as a fad. It's what fits in my schedule. When I go to the gym, I tend to do the same circuit over and over. I like the variety and feel that I'm getting "pushed" more when following a video. I do like classes at the gyms, but again, it doesn't fit my schedule. The best exercise is the one you get up and do.
  • newmom312
    newmom312 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Well said!
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    How are Insanity & P90x fads? Lol.. clearly they work.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    my point is just like with diets there is a point where you have to come off of those programs and either find the next new fad program or start them over again...
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    my point is just like with diets there is a point where you have to come off of those programs and either find the next new fad program or start them over again...
    They're what YOU make them out to be. If you only do, say, the 30 day shred once and never work out again after that, then you've made a fad program out of the 30DS. But if you use that as a starting point of a healthy, active lifestyle, that is all kinds of awesome.

Here's the thing. A fad diet is unhealthy -- not just because the results don't last, but because it is unhealthy BY NATURE. HCG for instance. Consuming only 500 calories a day? You can't tell me that's not healthy. But P90x and Insanity? Is there anything inherently unhealthy about them? No (as long as you avoid injurying yourself). Therefore they are not fads.

Inefficient and/or unhealthy = fad
    Efficient and healthy = not a fad, just a legit variation of a healthy lifestyle.
  • Melionfire
    Melionfire Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I tried the gym and I have done videos and I opted for the videos and bying an elliptical. I found the process of getting to the gym, figuring out what to do and getting back too time consuming. I don't have to look cute I can wear my pjs in my living room and sweat my *kitten* off. Plus The videos were relatively cheap and I still do the ones I bought ten years ago. I get bored fast so a two month program is perfect for me. I think a fad ecercise are the machines you see where the host says you will lose a tone of weight in three minutes a day. Little do they forget to mention that you have change your eating habits and fit in cardio into your daily routine for it to actually work. There is no ab machine that will give you a six pach in three minutes a day unless you were already very thin. You have to lose the fat in order to get there and this takes hard work and healthy eating. Insanity and P90x never say it is easy in fact they tell you the oposite. They say it's going to be some of the hardest workouts you will do and they even give you a balanced eating plan to go with it. You will see the results if you stick to it and work very hard. Yes people quit these programs every day but how many people buy a membership to the gym only to go a couple of times. At least when the year is up you can still opt to try the videos again without charge. I have several videos from beachbody, Jillian micheals ect... I love coming home or waking up and picking the video I'm in the mood for. I make sure I get cardio in every day and do a toning workout 3 times a week. It is simple, easy and I never had to leave the house.
  • cpettigrew
    cpettigrew Posts: 168 Member
    Options

You have failed to create a valid argument.
  • emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I only use things like 30ds because I don't have money for much, especially a gym costing 600euros! I tried exercising at home but I didn't have a clue where to start or what to do, so I turned to the internet for advice.

I don't think they are a fad, because I see it as yeah it may only last a month, but the few days I've done of it has broken me back into exercising and I plan on it being very regular now. There is a huge difference between a fad diet and fad exercise, you can do harm with a fad diet, never harm with a fad exercise plan. It can only help. Whether you have the power to keep doing exercise or not is down to willpower. The way I see it, doing 30days of something and then moving on or repeating it is still a LOT better than what I used to do. (Nothing.)
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I own all of Jillian Michaels' DVDs and rotate them out on a nightly basis. I do one hour per night, 5 days a week.

I've been doing this for two years, and have the six pack to prove it works.

I will never own a gym membership again. Not only do I not have to leave my house, but it also saves me on monthly fees.

I can go straight from sweating to the tub when I'm finished.
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options

You still haven't said anything to justify the idea the "you have to come off of those programs;" you seem to be basing your argument on something you pulled out of the air. And if someone has to start over again but does it with increased weight or reps, how is that any different from any exercise plan?

You seem totally caught up on the idea that doing exercises in the gym is great, but doing the exact same exercises in your living room with the guidance of a DVD is somehow a "fad." Doesn't work that way.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    What you're missing is that these programs aren't necessarily a one-time deal. P90X, for example, has about a dozen workouts. You do the exact same workouts from start to finish, but the program determines the order you do them in. When you get to the end of the 90 days, you may have worked through the schedule, but it does not make the activities any less useful or effective.

It's no different than doing it from memory at the gym. In the beginning it's harder because you aren't used to it; it doesn't mean you stop doing it over time when you get better at it. An effective exercise is an effective exercise. It doesn't matter what format it comes to you in, be it a video or book or personal trainer.
  • MissPeppers
    MissPeppers Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I've never tried P90X nor 30 DS but they are cardio workouts, right? I'd agree that what makes people move is not a fad, and I work out at home regularly - which is brilliant. I have been through a pure cardio regime before though, and I do know that it's not sustainable to keep on doing harder and harder workouts to burn more kcals without building some muscle in the process. Didn't work for me, anyways. I just got stressed and worn out, and as soon as I took a break from the workouts I looked about the same as before I started.

I would agree if "fad" workouts would be like the tiny dumbbells which Jillian Michaels is promoting (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Jillian-Michaels-6-Ultimate-Power-Dumbbells-and-Storage-Tray-Set/15188971) are "fad" if you expect to really change your body long-term using them. Women need heavier weights than 3-8 lbs for a real change, and those pink tiny sweet ones don't even look good in pictures - just a waste of money. I also agree if i.e. "fad" workouts incorporate a lot of crunches to flatten the stomach or spot reducing while using a set of "special moves" or equipment.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    just keep the crossfit/IF/paleo cult away from me...
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I'm getting really bored of the people on this site who think their way is the only way. :grumble:

Most people on any fitness/diet site:
    Anything you are eating that I am not eating? It's wrong.
    Anything you are doing that I am not doing? It's wrong.

Sorry I keep posting it but it's true. I am very happy when a person finds what works for them. But much like religion, don't be pushy about it.
    Exactly!!!! The worst advice you can give someone is unsolicited advice! Do your thing. If its working for you, then awesome! Don't tell everyone that your way works and they should do it.