Night shift friendly foods

Options
I'm for the most part a stay at home mom, but do work occasionally. Picked up 5 night shifts starting tommorow night. Usually on nights we eat like crap. People bring in snack foods, usually stop at Tim Hortons and pick up an XL double double with a bagel and cream cheese. Argh. Now I'm dairy and gluten free and watching calories. What are some good night shift foods that are easy to digest?

Thanks!

Replies

• _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I usually have a cliff bar, a piece of fruit, and if i'm extra hungry during my shift, a PB&J sandwich.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I work in nursing. Busy busy busy so I will be hungry. ;)
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    i'm a nurse too :smile: i'm usually too busy to think about food, but the hunger pangs get to me at about 1 or 2 am.
  • Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    You won't have time to snack it seems so something hearty like a stew and some bread. Since I sit on graveyards I like cherry tomatos, grapes etc. Anything I can snack on because I usually eat because I'm bored. Not becasue I am hungry.
  • Michaelsdin
    Options
    i work swing for 3-4days then a graveyard 1-2 days, i find eating at night does not work for me I don't eat cause im usually sleeping, but i try to get something down so ill eat fruits and vengies to snack on for a "lunch" i would usually eat something to give me more energy cause around 0130-0400 i feel so sluggish. so ill eat a salad with some chicken and berrys strawberry/blue berry mix. snack of celary and garlic hummus and carrots. maybe a apple or 2 no banana has a natural sleep agent lol.
  • marliinos
    marliinos Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I also work in hospital and during the night. I'm not that hungry but when I'am I eat a breakfast. Fruits (a lot), yogurt, toast, cereale. A soup is also a good thing, not to heavy. For me the tricks is I keep in mind that its just a work shift with one meal and healthy snacks.