Fitbits

Options
What are these?

Are the accurate? Are they worth buying?

I am looking for something in addition to my HRM that gives me an accurate idea of how many calories I burn in a typical day with NO exercise , in addition somewhere to track work outs, calories burned etc...

I've seen a lot of talk about fitbits on here can someone explain to me what they are, what they do and if it's worth getting one? If not what do you suggest instead? How do they track your calories?

I do have an HRM but of course only use that for cardio-intensive activities, mainly running since that is my exercise of choice. Thanks in advance !

Replies

• pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    bumping becasue I have some of the same questions.
  • shewearsfunnyhat
    shewearsfunnyhat Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Fitbit's main function is a pedometer. It is a fairly accurate pedometer. If you get the ultra then you can also track your sleep. It tracks basic activity level but I dont think it will track anything that your HRM is not tracking.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I have one and like it a lot. It track steps, flights of stairs, sleep and also just how much you are burning for normal bodily functions so total calories burned througout the day for everthing you do or your body is doing even if you were in a coma.

I check what my calories burned yesterday are and deduct a percentage (10% for me right now as I'm close to goal) and that is how much I eat today. You open an account with Fitbit and it graphs it all for you. You can link it up to MFP where you log your food and then it syncs the information over to Fitbit.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I have one and like it a lot. It track steps, flights of stairs, sleep and also just how much you are burning for normal bodily functions so total calories burned througout the day for everthing you do or your body is doing even if you were in a coma.

I check what my calories burned yesterday are and deduct a percentage (10% for me right now as I'm close to goal) and that is how much I eat today. You open an account with Fitbit and it graphs it all for you. You can link it up to MFP where you log your food and then it syncs the information over to Fitbit.

What device does all this? I want to make sure I get the right one if I end up ordering it online!

I feel like I burn more calories then I think in a typical day and this will help me meet my calorie goals for easily. I'm looking for something that tracks more then just work outs. My HRM is just for cardio. I'm interested in something more versatile, and the fitbit seems like it might be the answer.

Also would it work for Strength Training? May I ask how it tracks your calories? Like your HRM uses your HR obviously but I was unsure what fitbit uses. Thanks !
  • YcatsFursworth
    YcatsFursworth Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna be getting a FitBit Zip when I reach 200 lbs as a mini gift to me. I wanna figure out how much I'm burning in a day. I think if I do this and keep an eye on it the day of and remember what I was the day before and say I'm a bit lower, I'll run the steps a few times just to keep it going up each day....

Hopefully over time it will help me to become more active and push myself to more hights instead of on days off from work sitting around quite so much
  • mockchoc
    Options

What device does all this? I want to make sure I get the right one if I end up ordering it online!

I feel like I burn more calories then I think in a typical day and this will help me meet my calorie goals for easily. I'm looking for something that tracks more then just work outs. My HRM is just for cardio. I'm interested in something more versatile, and the fitbit seems like it might be the answer.

Also would it work for Strength Training? May I ask how it tracks your calories? Like your HRM uses your HR obviously but I was unsure what fitbit uses. Thanks !

I have the Fitbit Ultra and the newer Fitbit One does the same except it sycns even if you aren't near your basestation which Ultra doesn't. I believe that is correct. The website will tell you more. I know that the Fitbit Zip doesn't track sleep and I'm not sure if it does stairs? It is the cheaper one.

I believe they aren't great for strength training and you log those yourself.

You punch in all your data on your Fitbit account on their website and that is how it tracks how much you burn plus whatever steps you take are picked up by it.
  • mockchoc
    Options
    Oh and for the OP running isn't tracked perfectly with it I believe but if you work out your stride for it you can make it more accurate.
  • Hey__Im__Krista
    Options
    What are these?

Are the accurate? Are they worth buying?

I am looking for something in addition to my HRM that gives me an accurate idea of how many calories I burn in a typical day with NO exercise , in addition somewhere to track work outs, calories burned etc...

I've seen a lot of talk about fitbits on here can someone explain to me what they are, what they do and if it's worth getting one? If not what do you suggest instead? How do they track your calories?

I do have an HRM but of course only use that for cardio-intensive activities, mainly running since that is my exercise of choice. Thanks in advance !

Sent mine back. worthless garbage
  • emmie0622
    emmie0622 Posts: 167 Member
    Options

I have the Fitbit Ultra and the newer Fitbit One does the same except it sycns even if you aren't near your basestation which Ultra doesn't. I believe that is correct. The website will tell you more. I know that the Fitbit Zip doesn't track sleep and I'm not sure if it does stairs? It is the cheaper one.

I believe they aren't great for strength training and you log those yourself.

You punch in all your data on your Fitbit account on their website and that is how it tracks how much you burn plus whatever steps you take are picked up by it.

FITBIT ZIP DOES NOT TRACK STAIRS - I just learned that this week myself. I have Ultra and love it - it definitely gets me moving more. Definitely doing better than before I had it.
  • majordlite
    majordlite Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

Wow, helpful comment there.

Not sure what this poster was looking for, but if you're looking for something that tracks calories burned, steps, miles, stairs, activity tracking for a certain timeframe, your sleep patterns, etc., then the Fitbit Ultra (and One) is for you. I LOVE mine, especially since it syncs automatically with my MFP info. For instance, yesterday, I worked like a fiend getting ready for a Halloween party--climbed 37 sets of stairs, burned 2,300 calories, walked over 8 miles around the house, 15,000+ steps (all tracked on Fitbit)...and Fitbit gave me an extra 700 calories over what my normal profile would be. It rolled right over to my MFP food diary automatically and adjusted my goal Now, is it EXACTLY correct on steps or calories? Not sure, but it's been close enough for me to have lost 29.5 lbs in the last few months.
  • majordlite
    majordlite Posts: 266 Member
    Options

Wow, helpful comment there. Sorry for the double post, can't seem to get the quote thing to work here. :-)

Not sure what this poster was looking for, but if you're looking for something that tracks calories burned, steps, miles, stairs, activity tracking for a certain timeframe, your sleep patterns, etc., then the Fitbit Ultra (and One) is for you. I LOVE mine, especially since it syncs automatically with my MFP info. For instance, yesterday, I worked like a fiend getting ready for a Halloween party--climbed 37 sets of stairs, burned 2,300 calories, walked over 8 miles around the house, 15,000+ steps (all tracked on Fitbit)...and Fitbit gave me an extra 700 calories over what my normal profile would be. It rolled right over to my MFP food diary automatically and adjusted my goal Now, is it EXACTLY correct on steps or calories? Not sure, but it's been close enough for me to have lost 29.5 lbs in the last few months.
  • sizco18
    sizco18 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    i'm also wondering about this was wondering if i got one would the cals burned from the device actually be posted on MFP automatically
  • shewearsfunnyhat
    shewearsfunnyhat Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    i'm also wondering about this was wondering if i got one would the cals burned from the device actually be posted on MFP automatically

Its not quite automatic. You do have to go to the check in page (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/measurements/check_in) and save changes. But other then that, its pretty smooth. I just started to use the zip today so I am still learning how to use it. But, I have found no problems in linking the two accounts. I do like the fact that it helps me figure out my activity level on a day to day basis.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I think I want one. Dear Santa...
  • saudade108
    Options
    I want one too! They aren't very expensive for all it does, IMO!
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    If you do a search you will find lots of info about them.
  • mockchoc
    Options
    There are some issues going on with syncing apparently that is annoying some but it doesn't worry me with the way I calculate what I'm allowed to eat.