Overweight kids

Options
I have to wonderful children ages 11 and 7. I am so worried about their health, the both are overweight and it seems no matter what I try it is not working. My oldest the 11 year old is Hunter and he weighs around 140 pounds and the reason I say around is because he does not want me in the room when he weighs. I don't buy alot of junk food such as chips and candy because I know if I buy it he will eat it. I know that he hide eating food from me. I do not say anything about his weight to him other than tell him he needs to make sure he is eating healthy things and needs to be more active because I do not want him to have health issues like my dad and mom who are both extremely over weight. I could not bear to watch my son go through the health issues that they have. I worry that he will have a heart attack or stroke due to his weight. Am I worrying for nothing??

Now my daughter Heaven is 7 and she is almost 5 foot tall and weighs around 120 solid as a rock, very active she eats healthy food but she can out eat an adult, its seems she never gets full. She wears my clothes. She is a very big girl for her age I worry about her also, she loves sports but she gets winded when she plays.

What can I do to help my children. When we cook we do not fry any foods, we grill and bake almost everything we eat. I'm afraid to push them too much on the subject because I do not want them to think they are fat and be ashamed. I'm sure that other kids probably make fun them for their sizes. \

Any advice

Replies

• chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    do you have a ymca near you that the whole family could join? Its affordable because the rates go by your income. they have a lot of stuff for kids and teens as well as moms and dads.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    First, if you havent.. i would have them to the doctor to make sure everything is okay.

Then, I would talk to them face to face. Tell them its your JOB as a mother to make sure they are healthy, and you are concerned with their eating and exercise. NEVER say "their weight"..

YOU buy the food, right? So buy it. Healthy only. Pack lunches.. schedule snacks. ONLY buy fruit for snacking on and other good foods and dont have anything in the house that can be grabbed to eat. If you cant make a meal out of it, it shouldnt be there, UNLESS its healthy. Not only for them, but the whole family!!

Dont preach, but ask them to help you by measuring your food for you onto your plate... then remember to say how full you are once you are finished.. you are what they are watching, remember that!

Everyone deserves a break.. so choose one day to relax. Let the kids pick whatever they want to eat, and fix it! ONE DAY cannot sabotage their diets.. that is the only day Soda is allowed in the house.. buy one 20 ounce bottle for each.. and buy one bag of chips for that day. If it doesnt get finished, toss it.

Whatever you do, make sure you talk to a doctor and have them follow your childrens care. Its much different putting a child on a diet than an adult! They need so much to keep growing, without gaining.

Good luck! <3
  • stephiegirl1215
    Options
    I don't have kids myself yet but I've thought about this issue a lot as far as what I'd want to do to keep my kids healthy (I was overweight as a teen but not as much as I'd thought I was at the time). I think little things over time work well for kids from what I've heard and researched. It sounds like the quality of food isn't the issue but do they eat huge portions or drink soda? You could always switch to diet pop and encourage more water with dinner or something. Also for the portions you could try just cutting back on their portion sizes by just a little bit week by week (like one less spoonful, forkful, etc) until they're eating what you'd judge to be a healthier size. Also, when I was a teen I loved exercise but wasn't too good at it. However I did a LOT of stuff with my mom and even though I ended up gaining more weight after I moved out, I always valued the time we spent working out. We did spin classes, went on walks together (fun cause we could chat too) and later joined a women's gym to workout with machines. Don't underestimate family activities. Lastly I would say, and delicately, try to educate them as much as you feel comfortable about the importance of being healthy and active. Spin it in such a way that you're not saying they need to lose weight, but just let them know that proper health is important to you and because you love them so much you what them to know all this great information. Teach them what calories are, and maybe even have them help you in the kitchen if they're so inclined. I used to cook with my dad and those are some of my fondest memories, though I'd like it better now if we'd done more healthy recipes. Just teach them everything you can about how food fuels us and it's equally important to burn our fuel properly.

Good luck, just keep doing what you're doing and slowly bring in any small changes you want and you should be golden over time!
  • lnd2011
    lnd2011 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    First, if you havent.. i would have them to the doctor to make sure everything is okay.

Then, I would talk to them face to face. Tell them its your JOB as a mother to make sure they are healthy, and you are concerned with their eating and exercise. NEVER say "their weight"..

YOU buy the food, right? So buy it. Healthy only. Pack lunches.. schedule snacks. ONLY buy fruit for snacking on and other good foods and dont have anything in the house that can be grabbed to eat. If you cant make a meal out of it, it shouldnt be there, UNLESS its healthy. Not only for them, but the whole family!!

Dont preach, but ask them to help you by measuring your food for you onto your plate... then remember to say how full you are once you are finished.. you are what they are watching, remember that!

Everyone deserves a break.. so choose one day to relax. Let the kids pick whatever they want to eat, and fix it! ONE DAY cannot sabotage their diets.. that is the only day Soda is allowed in the house.. buy one 20 ounce bottle for each.. and buy one bag of chips for that day. If it doesnt get finished, toss it.

Whatever you do, make sure you talk to a doctor and have them follow your childrens care. Its much different putting a child on a diet than an adult! They need so much to keep growing, without gaining.

Good luck! <3

Thanks for the advice I measure all of my food and so does my husband we started in March I believe watching everything we eat and I don't buy Soda or chips. They do drink alot of Kool-aid though. My son will go to the exercise room and run on treadmill or sometimes put a exercise DVD in and he will stick with it for about a week and then he stops.

Thanks so much for the good advice
  • lnd2011
    Options
    I don't have kids myself yet but I've thought about this issue a lot as far as what I'd want to do to keep my kids healthy (I was overweight as a teen but not as much as I'd thought I was at the time). I think little things over time work well for kids from what I've heard and researched. It sounds like the quality of food isn't the issue but do they eat huge portions or drink soda? You could always switch to diet pop and encourage more water with dinner or something. Also for the portions you could try just cutting back on their portion sizes by just a little bit week by week (like one less spoonful, forkful, etc) until they're eating what you'd judge to be a healthier size. Also, when I was a teen I loved exercise but wasn't too good at it. However I did a LOT of stuff with my mom and even though I ended up gaining more weight after I moved out, I always valued the time we spent working out. We did spin classes, went on walks together (fun cause we could chat too) and later joined a women's gym to workout with machines. Don't underestimate family activities. Lastly I would say, and delicately, try to educate them as much as you feel comfortable about the importance of being healthy and active. Spin it in such a way that you're not saying they need to lose weight, but just let them know that proper health is important to you and because you love them so much you what them to know all this great information. Teach them what calories are, and maybe even have them help you in the kitchen if they're so inclined. I used to cook with my dad and those are some of my fondest memories, though I'd like it better now if we'd done more healthy recipes. Just teach them everything you can about how food fuels us and it's equally important to burn our fuel properly.

Good luck, just keep doing what you're doing and slowly bring in any small changes you want and you should be golden over time!

Thanks stephiegirl, It is so hard for me to know what to say to them I do not want them to feel bad about themselves, I don't want them to feel as I don't love them for who they are but I want so much for them to be healthy.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids, but I will say this: be very carful in what you say to them....I still remember the day my self confidence and self worth was taken away from me by a family member....I was 9. And I've NEVER regained it....I struggle with it everyday of my life. Even now. Losing the weight wasn't enough...I'm not obese, I'm just outside of my weight range and my bf% is in the normal range, and because of comments made to me 15 years ago I don't think I will ever feel as though I look good.
  • jojoof4
    jojoof4 Posts: 120
    Options
    My youngest daughter is overweight but eats very well balanced meals, while my 5 year old prefers sweets and is a rail. I'm struggling for solutions myself. We drink Crystal Light instead of Kool Aid to decrease calories, but I haven't heard much good about artificial sweeteners either. Good luck!
  • fatgirlslimagain
    fatgirlslimagain Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    This is such a difficult topic. I would recommend reading Tosca Reno's book for kids. Its all about clean eating. Sugar is the main culprit. It is hidden in so many things too.

Best thing you can do is to try to make sure all their meals are packed with real food only that you have prepared yourself rather than any packaged food and you will see the weight come off.

When my daughter was young (now 21 and was always lean) I would make sure I always had a supply of real food ready to go so when she got home from school it was there ready. I would cut up veggies and put it on the table with dips made myself or a platter of vegies and cold cuts such as left over roast chicken. Also I would cut up a selection of fruit like strawberries, melon etc. If it was in the fridge not cut up she would snuff her nose at it but as soon as I put it on the table all cut up she would graze on it. (fruit is high sugar so not too much)

I would trade bread in sandwiches for whole grain wraps and pack them with raw veggies. Incorporate more raw food and veggies. There are lots of books on making yummy raw food. Toscas book has lots of ideas.

Another thing to do is increase their activity. Give them chores without it feeling like a chore. Make it fun and rewarding. Its surprising how many calories you can burn with housework. Organise games that get them off the couch like hide and seek with a time limit so they run about using objects you have hidden and make a fun outcome like a token reward. (just don't make the reward food lol) Also try and incorporate them into your exercise. Go for walks together. Play ball games, play tag, simon says (this is a good one because you can use things like simon says jump in the air, touch the ground and jump up again etc). Get your kids to skip instead of waking - it makes it fun if you do it too.

Its just about breaking and changin habits. Good luck

Hope this helps
  • fatgirlslimagain
    fatgirlslimagain Posts: 51 Member
    Options

They do drink alot of Kool-aid though.

Sugar and artifical sweetners are toxins to the body. When they are present the body stores them in fat cells.

They shuld learn to drink water.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options

Good luck! <3

Thanks for the advice I measure all of my food and so does my husband we started in March I believe watching everything we eat and I don't buy Soda or chips. They do drink alot of Kool-aid though. My son will go to the exercise room and run on treadmill or sometimes put a exercise DVD in and he will stick with it for about a week and then he stops.

Thanks so much for the good advice

A good alternative to Kool-aid is crystal light or MIO.
  • _lizzie_
    _lizzie_ Posts: 130
    Options
    I don't have kids, but I will say this: be very carful in what you say to them....I still remember the day my self confidence and self worth was taken away from me by a family member....I was 9. And I've NEVER regained it....I struggle with it everyday of my life. Even now. Losing the weight wasn't enough...I'm not obese, I'm just outside of my weight range and my bf% is in the normal range, and because of comments made to me 15 years ago I don't think I will ever feel as though I look good.

Ditto. My mom and aunts were so harsh to me over being fat when I was a kid (like 140-50lbs at 11!), they literally scolded me every time they saw me for being fat or when buying me new clothes because I was too big for the old ones. I dont think I will ever recover. Even now some days I swear Im as big as a house! I wish my parents would have limited my tv and computer time when I was a kid because I think thats what made me fat. I got home, plopped down in front of the tv or computer til bed time. Also they didn't cook healthy but sounds like you have that part down. Also, make it fun..make hiking or ultimate frisbee a common family activity. If you have winter sports, that is also a really fun way to get moving. I have a skii pass now and I think its one of the reasons I stay in shape in the winter months. If your not near any snowy mountains, maybe your near a lake and can do water skiing or a beach and can surf or body board. Just make them do something they wont realize is exercise, that way you can spare their feelings too. If you tell them they just need to go for a walk or come to the gym with you, they might catch on.
  • lnd2011
    Options

Ditto. My mom and aunts were so harsh to me over being fat when I was a kid (like 140-50lbs at 11!), they literally scolded me every time they saw me for being fat or when buying me new clothes because I was too big for the old ones. I dont think I will ever recover. Even now some days I swear Im as big as a house! I wish my parents would have limited my tv and computer time when I was a kid because I think thats what made me fat. I got home, plopped down in front of the tv or computer til bed time. Also they didn't cook healthy but sounds like you have that part down. Also, make it fun..make hiking or ultimate frisbee a common family activity. If you have winter sports, that is also a really fun way to get moving. I have a skii pass now and I think its one of the reasons I stay in shape in the winter months. If your not near any snowy mountains, maybe your near a lake and can do water skiing or a beach and can surf or body board. Just make them do something they wont realize is exercise, that way you can spare their feelings too. If you tell them they just need to go for a walk or come to the gym with you, they might catch on.
    Exactly why I am asking for advice I do not ever want them to lose their self confidence or self worth, and I know scolding them would only make it worse. I hate when I hear a parent telling their child they are fat or chubby. My kids are beautiful kids and I want them to know they are as well as trying to get them on a healthier path. My son is so picky about what he eats, but my daughter loves fruit and veggies.
  • lnd2011
    Options
    This is such a difficult topic. I would recommend reading Tosca Reno's book for kids. Its all about clean eating. Sugar is the main culprit. It is hidden in so many things too.

Best thing you can do is to try to make sure all their meals are packed with real food only that you have prepared yourself rather than any packaged food and you will see the weight come off.

When my daughter was young (now 21 and was always lean) I would make sure I always had a supply of real food ready to go so when she got home from school it was there ready. I would cut up veggies and put it on the table with dips made myself or a platter of vegies and cold cuts such as left over roast chicken. Also I would cut up a selection of fruit like strawberries, melon etc. If it was in the fridge not cut up she would snuff her nose at it but as soon as I put it on the table all cut up she would graze on it. (fruit is high sugar so not too much)

I would trade bread in sandwiches for whole grain wraps and pack them with raw veggies. Incorporate more raw food and veggies. There are lots of books on making yummy raw food. Toscas book has lots of ideas.

Another thing to do is increase their activity. Give them chores without it feeling like a chore. Make it fun and rewarding. Its surprising how many calories you can burn with housework. Organise games that get them off the couch like hide and seek with a time limit so they run about using objects you have hidden and make a fun outcome like a token reward. (just don't make the reward food lol) Also try and incorporate them into your exercise. Go for walks together. Play ball games, play tag, simon says (this is a good one because you can use things like simon says jump in the air, touch the ground and jump up again etc). Get your kids to skip instead of waking - it makes it fun if you do it too.

Its just about breaking and changin habits. Good luck

Hope this helps
    Thanks I will check this book out I need to help them now without them realizing what I am trying to do