Dissociative Identity Disorder Weight Loss??

Options
Hi everyone... I'm a 32 (almost 33) year old female, and I desperately need to lose weight. This fact is exponentially complicated by the fact that I also have Dissociative Identity Disorder (Multiple Personality Disorder is what it used to be called). I was diagnosed over a year ago, but have struggled with it for many years. I am a vegetarian, personally, yet several of my "people" will eat meat, and will buy other things that I personally would never eat or indulge in. The last three years especially have been hard, as I have lost my job and become disabled because of this disorder, mostly. I am the heaviest I have ever been in my life; I actually estimated my beginning weight to join this site, as I do not own a scale, and am too depressed to get one right now. I just want to start having "all of us" have some accountability for what goes into this body... and the ones I can communicate with have agreed to let me know what has been eaten. I will be in charge of exercise... we have been essentially sedentary for a year... I don't even walk my dogs right now, which is a travesty. I *believe* that I weigh close to 300 pounds right now, and I am not quite 5'2" tall. I am going to buy a scale soon... it is a challenge that I need to accomplish :( I have tried to get a couple of friends to do this with me, for the support, but so far none have taken me up on it. I really could use some support and help; I love that this site is free, as I can't afford anything else, but I really need some ongoing support and encouragement. Thanks for hearing me out; I wish all of you well in your weight loss and fitness goals!

Replies

• glahlstedt
    glahlstedt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Welcome! So proud of you for taking the 1st step to making a better you! I too, have mental illness(clinical depression) but, please do not let your diagnosis define who you are. Mental illness is so tough, but again, you can take control of tour weight! I'm pleased that you came to MFP. This is a honest place that you will not be judged. So, with that said, just do your best! Good luck!!
  • MercurialScribes
    Options
    Thanks so much! I also suffer from clinical depression, as well as generalized anxiety disorder, but the DID is the main thing that is keeping me from losing weight at the present time. I try not to let my "disorders" define me whatsoever, but it is more difficult with DID than with most. That being said, some of my "people" are excited to start exercising and such, so that is a good thing! I am really hoping that, with a combination of things, including this site, that I will begin to lose weight, as I have gained a significant amount recently, after being "stagnant" for years. That was really the turning point for me; I needed new clothing because I "suddenly grew out of" almost everything :( It's a horrible feeling to have to go up a size... only this time, going up a size didn't even cut it! That's when I knew I had to do something... thankfully, most of my "people" are on board, so I hope we will be successful! Thanks so much for the warm welcome; it is very appreciated!
  • Sivafae
    Options
    I too am looking for friends with psychiatric disorders to lose weight with. I think the extra bit of "color" in our lives makes it hard to manage. But we can do this!

I have, and have had, severe anxiety and some depersonalization. I am actually going to be diagnosed again soon.

Let's be friends.
  • Sivafae
    Options
    I hope you don't mind I used the term color. It was not my intention to trivialize. It was more to say that we are not our diagnosis. We are so much more than that. And that was my attempt to acknowledge that.

I think one of the harder issues we have to deal with is the medication. Sure it is helpful, goodness I think it saved my life, but the weight gain is terrible to deal with. Hopefully with support all things will be possible.

Cheers!
  • MercurialScribes
    Options
    Oh no, not at all, I just didn't know how to find this thread again until now, LOL! Oops. Still learning how to navigate the site and all of that. Yes, we all are much more than our diagnoses... I also have major depressive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, and then there are other things thrown around throughout the years, until I got the diagnosis of DID anyway. Medications can be a big one... I'm currently off almost all of my medications though, after losing my job and insurance, but I'm in a position where I can hopefully get back on track with that soon, as I have been doing miserably without them, and actually have gained MORE weight not being on them! I do admit that in college, when I first started using just an anti-depressant, I gained 60 pounds, and then it just kept going... but now, without anything except one medication, I tend to stress eat, as well as my people being more out of control and eating a crapload of gross food and drink. I need to get myself back on them, and then judge how they effect my weight, because I've certainly gained a lot in the last six months, and it wasn't the medication :/
  • sherri2304
    Options
    i too have a mental illness i have borderline pd feel free too add me any of u :) support is the best medicine :)
  • hadlam83
    hadlam83 Posts: 140
    Options
    Good on you for being able to be honest about who you are and what you're going through and the challenges it may bring you on your weight loss journey. I wish I was as brave as you :)

Good luck on your journey, if you need an extra friend for motivation feel free to add me :)
  • Shellsmiley
    Shellsmiley Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Wow, it takes a lot of guts to be so honest about everything! Congratulations for taking the first step to getting where you want to be and become who you want to become. :bigsmile: I haven't been diagnosed with anything, but I do have clinical depression... I don't know if that counts?

Anywho, I have been on here since Sept this year and LOVE it!! Hopefully you will too!

ADD ME if you would like! I love new friends, supporting and having great conversations with! :flowerforyou:

- Shelley
  • MercurialScribes
    Options
    Thanks Shelley:) I wanted to enter this with complete honesty, and, although this step is seriously kinda tiny (still haven't been able to change my eating habits yet, or do any "real" exercise) it's a step. Of course clinical depression "counts" ... everyone has their own personal struggles... I also have depression/anxiety/etc, but I wanted to discuss the DID because that is most likely to directly effect my progress, as well as one or more of them may actually post on here or interact with people, so I wanted people who "friend" me to be aware of that, right off the bat :) I did add you, and thanks very much!

-G
  • icedlime
    icedlime Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, I realize this post was a while ago, but I can competely relate. I have DID as well, diagnosed about 2-3 years ago and it definitely wrecks havoc on trying to lose weight.