I SWEAR EXERCISE MAKES ME GAIN WEIGHT!!

Options
2»

Replies

• suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i always gain if i do lots of exercise over a sustained period. Its disheartening. I think its probably muscle though.

People do go to the gym to bulk up and gain weight as well as to lose weight though
  • Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of good advice here! I have the same problem, but not to the extent that you do. I love to run, but when I take a break from it, I lose weight, and starting back up always makes me gain up to 4 or 5 pounds!

Definitely make sure you're not rewarding yourself with too much junk food. I found it helpful to drink a glass of low fat milk after a workout. The nutrients help to replenish your muscles and the protein and calcium help to build lean muscle mass and burn fat.

Because of small mistakes in recording calories, and the sometimes overestimated calorie burn, I try to leave 100 calories at the end of the day as long as my net is over 1200.

Another thing I've heard is good for this is to cut out ALL processed foods for a week, and if you can go organic that's even better. Don't let your sodium intake exceed recommended levels, and really push the water and green tea. This helps your body to let go of any built up water weight from exercise and also allows your liver to work more efficiently so you can burn the fat quickly with your exercise!

Take your measurements along with watching the scale and see how these things work for you! Good Luck!
  • Bviera
    Bviera Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    This is true for me as well. But it's fluid retention in one's muscles. http://www.livestrong.com/article/351391-water-retention-in-muscles-after-exercise/

Also, the machines and MFP overestimate the calories I burn during exercise. My body is very efficient in that I rarely burn more then 2-300 calories per workout session. The machines/MFP say I burned 500-600, but if I ate that, I'd be eliminating my deficit. So I now wear a Fitbit and leave a cushion of 100 or so, of the actual burned.

I was just about to post the same article. Whenever we start a new exercise program, our muscles retain water to recover from the "beating" we just gave them. It's normal to gain a few pounds of water retention from our muscles for a few weeks. That's why whenever we start exercising, we HAVE to stick to it. Besides, exercise does a lot more for us than just help us lose weight. It's good for our heart, for lowering cholesterol, and for making us feel better overall (among a few things). I can't stress how important it is to exercise!
  • MayberryMama
    Options
    Good point about the measurements - since I started doing turbo I have definitely lost inches. So that is a good sign. But I swear I feel like my clothes are tighter after a week of hard workouts. Maybe I am storing water in there - the question is, how do I get it out?? GO AWAY WATER!!
  • Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Tons of water, watch your sodium very carefully and get rid of anything processed! It does work. :-)
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    How much water are you actually drinking? If you are not drinking enough, your body will hold on to every single drop it can, and you will have bloating/swelling/water weight gain. Sounds crazy I know, but the more water you drink, the less water you will retain.
  • maserati185
    maserati185 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Just want to say... HELLO OUT THERE... I have experienced exactly what you speak of. My focus when I eat is lower carbs/low sugar. I lost from 177lbs to 160lbs. doing a total of ONE HOUR of exercise that whole time (AND I ate plenty).

Then... I started feeling like getting active because of being smaller, so I started doing just that. Immediately, my scales stopped going down. I've tried changing up things but I canNOT drop on the scales.

Now, on the flip side, I can tell by pictures and smaller pants that I want to fit in that I am losing overall. I know it is SO frustrating... but as another post had said... If you're not gaining fat... does it really matter? I don't think so. I bet you are gaining muscle and/or retaining water or something else that the body does to affect the scales... and it's no biggy.

But just to further support what you are saying... I ran 17 miles total last week, ate as I was supposed to, and didn't lose a single pound. In fact, I gained one. But my leg muscles are lookin good! ;)
  • MayberryMama
    Options
    You guys are all so helpful, I appreciate you so much! I will try everything and if nothing else, at least I can say I am taking good care of myself regardless of what the scales say. I am eating my subway salad and drinking my 7th bottle of water and then it's off to Turbo - gonna keep on trucking.
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem! Which is why I rarely stuck to any exercise, because it seemed like it had adverse results on my weight (I understand the health benefits, but I need something tangible to motivate me).

I finally saw a thread on here about holding on to water the first few weeks (similar to what was posted here), so that's given me motivation to keep going. I also started exercising consistently, then taking a couple days off. The balance seemed to produce results better than trying to do something every day at first.

And I know most people say it's muscle weight, but there is no way anyone is gaining two or three pounds of muscle from doing the elliptical for 45 minutes every other day. That makes sense after a while, but not in the initial stages.
  • Pinkkpanthur
    Options
    Ok ... I have a very similar problem EXCEPT that I don't really believe in counting calories, so I don't monitor my food intake as closely as you do. However, I am vegetarian and I always try to step up the lean proteins and fruits and veggies as opposed to breads and dairy when I work out.

Last time I embarked on a serious exercise plan, I gained almost 10 lbs! My friends said I looked like I was thinner, but I got so frustrated that I decided to see what would happen if I stopped exercising. I lost 8 of those pounds in less than a month. And I'm fairly certain it wasn't muscle because I could barely get my pants on anymore.

So I did some research .... When you work out, your body releases a hormone that increases your appetite. But in an effort NOT to lose fat, since your body now thinks it will need all those extra calories to fuel the activities you're involved in, this hormone increases appetite ABOVE your body's actual needs. This is even more true of women than men. It's documented. So it isn't that you're doing anything wrong especially, it's just that even if you're eating a generally healthy amount of calories, your body is programmed not to let go of that fat due to increased calorie needs. That's my understanding anyway.

That being said, the ONLY thing that's worked for me is doing very low key exercise, like walking and yoga, which keeps me from being totally lethargic but I'm still managing to lose. Hope you figure out what works for you!
  • Hadunka
    Hadunka Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Overestimating of burnt calories...values ​​given here are quite exaggerated
  • Hadunka
    Hadunka Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It's normal to gain a few pounds (like 4 or less) simply because water will be stored in your muscles along with glycogen when you work them.

Beyond that, it's your eating plan. Many people overestimate the calories burned through exercise and then overeat, thinking they're simply replacing the calories they burned in the gym when they are infact exceeding them. The other problem is that many people 'reward' themselves for hard workouts with essentially junk food that they wouldn't dare touch were they not working out.

Could either of those problems apply to your situation?

Exactly what I was going to post. MFP does overestimate calories for certain exercises too. I found I wasn't losing very much one week where I did a lot of swimming which I'd entered as "breaststroke, general". The week after I entered it at "laps, light / moderate effort" (as I wasn't really pushing myself to do the hour's swim) and it came out as less calories burnt, and lo and behold, I lost more weight. Also it didn't *feel* like I'd done nearly 600 calories worth of exercise, 400 felt much more accurate in comparison with the exercises I do at the gym where there are Polar HRMs built within the machines.
    Exactly. I know I can not burn during 60 minutes swimming more than 500 kcal!! The same value I burn on Elliptical and there is a big difference. I guess I can burn during swimming about 350 kcal
  • BabyJago
    BabyJago Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    While I have been exercising regularly for 20 years now, I've noticed that when I need to lose a few pounds, I'm better off just counting calories and eating to my desired weight reduction.

In simple terms, I think exercise 1) makes you hungrier; and 2) makes you feel you can actually eat more (I think we all over-estimate how much our workouts burn).

I know a lot of people who are heavier than they should be and/or downright overweight who exercise regularly and it does not make that much of a difference.

Using this tool, when I exercise, I almost never eat my exercise deficit. For weight loss, counting calories works best.
  • ashumeow
    ashumeow Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    maybe bone weight =P I am sure exercise burns fat and carbs =)
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I wish I could lose weight by not working out :)

Um..you can. Weight loss is 90% diet. Lots of people have lost significant amounts without exercise. Exercise will help shape your body and give you better health. If your goal is just to lose a bunch of weight you have no need to work out. If you wish to be muscular/toned/athletic when you reach your goal weight then you will - simple.
  • petechiae
    petechiae Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump to read later.
  • p1sweet
    p1sweet Posts: 2
    Options
    I walked with a small bit of running tossed in with arm & ab crunch type movements, every day for 6 weeks (avg. 35 min. each day but some days I would go for an hour) with big plans & very strong self discipline. I finally stopped at the 6 week mark because I was approaching my previous goal weight which took me forever to reach. I was terrified that I would go over & I could see no end in sight.
    I was eating very healthy, very little bread or no cereals, fruit & veggies everyday, meat or protein everyday, nuts, advocado, salmon, all healthy. Small portions too, as juicing previously had shrunk my stomach way down. I weighed everyday so I felt accountable everyday, not just on the day I weighed in.
    I was so discouraged not only from the scales' numbers but my clothes that I had finally gotten small enough to fit into, had now become very tight & hard to wear.
    I've since stopped walking or exercising & just eat small portions & avoid carbs. I'm hovering just below that previous goal weight so I'm terrified about what to do next!?!
    I feel pretty hopeless...