High Calorie Exercise Alternatives - Please Read

Options
Just wondering if anyone knows any high calorie burning exercises that doesn't put a lot of pressure on the knees?

I usually walk at a fast pace on the treadmill for around an hour (which included a warm up and cool down) and I may occasionally burst into a short jog but over the last few weeks I have been having some problems with my knee which I think could be an old injury which I have aggravated again. I've tried going at a slower pace but I've found it too slow and not much of an improvement when it comes to stopping the pain.

If anyone knows of any exercise alternatives I'd love to know of them and give them a try. I think I need to give my knee a rest for a week of two and then slowly get back into it but I don't want to stop exercising altogether.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    swim laps.. maybe rowing i dont know how much pressure that would put on the knees. but lap swimming is probably best
  • sweettalkinggirl
    Options
    Thanks meshashesha for your reply! Swimming laps is a great idea. Just need to see if I can get down to the pool after work :) I have done rowing (on the rowing machines in the gym) before but never lasted long with the constant knee bending :)
  • SashThompson
    SashThompson Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    The exercise bikes are good when youve got knee injuries if you keep the load slightly lower, also the cross-trainer/elliptical is good because there is no impact on the knees. Anything in the water will be fine too, swimming, water jogging etc :)
  • sweettalkinggirl
    Options
    Thanks Sash! We have an exercise bike here at home so I'll try and give that a go again :)
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I recently had really bad soreness/tenderness in my thigh and knee. I couldn't do the treadmill at all but was able to rock out on the arc trainer and burned some serious calories
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    You need to work on your hip abductors to kill the knee pain. That was my mistake, I didn't work on them at all & I was in heaps of pain. Do that & I guarantee your knee pain will go.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I have 2 bad knees and have been dealing with this for over a year. Exercise bike .. little resistance.. or none would be best. Stop if you feel it in the knee because you don't want to aggravate it. I also will get on the Elliptical and go with NO resistance for up to 15 mins.
    I am doing Yoga, Swimming and crossfit with a trainer to ensure that I am not using my knees too much. Weight training will help you to lose weight and to tone.
    Good luck! I hope you feel better soon!
  • Kamalka
    Kamalka Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Thanks meshashesha for your reply! Swimming laps is a great idea. Just need to see if I can get down to the pool after work :) I have done rowing (on the rowing machines in the gym) before but never lasted long with the constant knee bending :)

They are usually opened from 7.30 (I used to go there at the opening, swim 40 min, come back home for breakfast by 8.30 and leave to my job) until 7PM. Best solution to me when I hurt my knee or my back. Best of all are the good feelings and body changes. I always say that the most difficult is to get there for the first time, then addiction operates.
  • Fit_Forever25
    Fit_Forever25 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have bad knee from last 3 years but I do only those exercises which do not include lots of jumping or running. Actually I just cant do running because of my left knee.
    But I would say lots of stationary bike, elliptical trainer and strength training including cardio which is related to upper body more than the lower
    kick boxing workouts, abs and upper body workouts and some standing cardios I do a lot of Jillian DVDs as well. And of course Swimming..
    Hope it will help.
  • CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    All good suggestions here. I don't have a lot to add, but I wanted to share my ortho's advice; "The best thing you can do, is to strengthen all the muscles around the knee." Makes sense, build those muscles, and it should take some stress off the knee. The other thing I have to be careful of, is to have really good form in whatever exercise I do (I like the stationary bike and elliptical.) My knees cannot twist, I have to make sure to keep the the joint laterally stable.
  • sweettalkinggirl
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies! I will try out as many suggestions as I can, once I try them all I'll let you know which one I found the best for my knee :)
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    All good suggestions here. I don't have a lot to add, but I wanted to share my ortho's advice; "The best thing you can do, is to strengthen all the muscles around the knee." Makes sense, build those muscles, and it should take some stress off the knee. The other thing I have to be careful of, is to have really good form in whatever exercise I do (I like the stationary bike and elliptical.) My knees cannot twist, I have to make sure to keep the the joint laterally stable.

Yes, and the horrifically bad advice of strengthening one set of muscles around the knee as another poster suggested could either be exactly what you need, or will make the issue ten times worse.

Obviously the best thing would be to see if you need a referral to physiotherapy. I've no idea if you have a muscle imbalance, joint inflammation, weak ligaments or tendons or what.