Insanity Snack Ideas for Work

Options
I'm nearly on week 3 of Insanity andd really enjoying it. My problem, when I'm at work is meals 2 and 4 (morning and afternoon snacks). I work in a customer facing role, and in the past I snacked on cereal bars (Special K, Alpen, etc) as I'm handling cash all day and it's a bit more hygenic than eating fruit, nuts, anything I have to directly touch with my hands.
Just finding these too sweet now, not nutritious enough or filling. I tried making my own protein bars but they fell to bits. Any ideas/recipes would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    can you live without snacks and just have larger breakfast/lunch?
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    1) I would avoid all cereal bars as they are high in sugar, use refined and processed wheat flour.

2) The only decent supermarket brought bar is a brand I've found called 9Bar, it's a little high in sugar, but much better in terms of overall ingredients (it's just nuts/seeds and honey/sugar). The healthiest flavours are Pumpkin and Peanut - just my opinion. If you can't find these, then second I would go for Eat Natural peanuts, almonds and hazelnuts bar.

3) When I'm at work and need a snack, I usually take one of those tiny food bags and stuff it with nuts and seeds (20g-40g) and put it in my pocket. If you can't find a little food bag, just put the nuts in your trouser pocket (make sure they're something like peanuts or almonds etc that are big enough not to get stuck to the bottom of your pocket). Take a two minute break and go to the staff room, drink some water and eat from the little packet, or (don't think bad of me!), go to the toilet to take a leak and just eat the packet there and then. I know nuts/seeds can get a little expensive, but if you go to Holland and Barret they sometimes have good deals. Otherwise I just get salted peanuts from Sainsbury's or Tesco etc and wash the salt away thoroughly - really cheap option!

4) If your staff room has cupboards for storage, keep a Tupperware container and put a protein powder in it, keep a shaker nearby and just drink 20g of it on your break - it takes 1 minute!

Easy protein bar:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/727658-4-ingredient-no-bake-protein-bars-pic

EDIT: Feel free to add me or message me for Insanity advice :)
  • StarcrazyAngel
    Options
    @dmerc: The program I'm on means I have to eat every 3 hours. I have breakfast at 7:15 and lunch can be anything between 11:30am and 2:30pm so snacks are a must.

@EatLikeAnAthlete: Thanks for your tips. They were really useful. I bought the nutty and pumpkin 9Bars to try and also the peanut ball from a brand called bounce. So far I've only tried the Bounce and it really filled me, 14g of protein, all natural ingredients and much tastier than Special K/Alpen bars.
    I started taking a peeled satsuma in a tupperware and some almonds. The almonds get eaten (very quickly) in the kitchen when I sneak a few minutes upstairs for a toilet break and the satsuma I have at my desk when I go back down. I have to be really quick just in case we get a queue. I will try making the protein shake next week and maybe that recipe for the bar next week.
  • JayStu
    JayStu Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    If you are able to use utensils such as a spoon, you could try the yogurt, diced apple, honey recipe from the insanity menu, if 300 calories fits into your daily allowance.
  • myssetareh
    Options
    @starcrazyangel..hey gal..i am defo gonna try making the protein cookies they sound yumm. also with snacks i love mini ritz and cheese strings lots of protein. also the bounce protein bar is delicious i'll try some others and let u know:)
  • kitten719
    Options
    For breakfast I eat kashi cereal with flax seeds, almond milk and 1/2 banana. For 1st snack at work I eat yogurt and protein bar. Lunch I have salad with chicken breast, pecans/ cucumbers/apples. 3rd snack I have the other 1/2 of the banana and 1/2 almond butter/ jam sandwich, for supper I switch it up everyday. When doing work out before going to work, I eat my protein bar right after work out and so then my 1st snack is just my yogurt. I am on week 7 of the Insanity program and have lost 10 lbs and lots of inches. (I wish I measured along the way) and feeling great! I'm down to 125 lbs!