Which Heart Rate Monitor and how useful is it really?

I'm trying to work out if I should get a HR monitor and if so which one I should get. They seem to range from £30 upto £300. Do the more expensive ones actually help you loose more weight and get fitter? What's everbodies experiences with HR monitors. What features are useful?

Replies

• thektturner
    thektturner Posts: 228 Member
    I have the Polar FT7 and I love it. It was the cheapest one I could find which would calculate calories burned. But this one is only for actual workouts, not one that you wear all day, if that's what you are looking for.
    This calculates heart rate and after you use it a bit, it defines your "fat burning" and "cardio" zones. It also keeps a tally of time spent exercising, calories burned.
    As an FYI - there is no difference between the Men's and Women's models except the men's is less ugly. Exact same product, different colors.
  • I use the FitBit and it is very motivating. The new ones update without a cradle, but even so it provides feedback and challenges. It is positive motivation...and has a sleep monitor setting. Although it is a bit pricey, it is cheaper than high blood pressure medicine every month--so I consider it money well spent. (You can even have friendly competitions with others.) I use it to add steps to my day, so I can add years to my life. :)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    A HRM won't help you lose weight. It will tell you how hard you work when you exercise and how many calories you burn but there's no magic about it for weight loss. The more expensive models are usually GPS enabled for mapping out running or cycling and giving you your pace and cadence numbers.

For just basic use a Polar FT4 or FT7 will do the job just fine. Just don't go cheaper and get one without a chest strap. Also HRM's are only meant to be worn for exercise that gets your HR up. They aren't accurate to wear all the time like a FitBit or BodyBugg.
  • Weezoh
    Weezoh Posts: 171 Member

As an FYI - there is no difference between the Men's and Women's models except the men's is less ugly. Exact same product, different colors.

Re: the FT7 I just bought one of these for myself and one for my wife

The women's band is narrower and somewhat shorter - but the watch itself is the same size as the men's. A woman can easily use a man's though because the band is constructed with continuous holes.

ETA: context
  • dreilingda
    dreilingda Posts: 122 Member
    A HRM won't help you lose weight. It will tell you how hard you work when you exercise and how many calories you burn but there's no magic about it for weight loss. The more expensive models are usually GPS enabled for mapping out running or cycling and giving you your pace and cadence numbers.

For just basic use a Polar FT4 or FT7 will do the job just fine. Just don't go cheaper and get one without a chest strap. Also HRM's are only meant to be worn for exercise that gets your HR up. They aren't accurate to wear all the time like a FitBit or BodyBugg.

This is great advice. If you want more specific reccomendations, post what type of workouts you plan on doing and if you have any training goals. Also, list your max budget.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    I have an old RS200 that I've had for forever and I love it. I've had metabolic testing done so I know *exactly* where my heart rate zones are and it's programmed into the watch. I like it because I get accurate calorie counts, and since I know what heart rate zone I'm in I can make my workout more effective for my time spent.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    I use the Polar FT4 and I really like it. I was always estimating my cal burns from running outside, and found that I was burning more cals than the estimate, which made me transition into running outside more. At the gym, I found that the MET calculations based on weight were ranging me over 100 cals more per 30 mins of exercise than what my body was burning based on my heart rate. The HRM has also encouraged me to keep my heart rate elevated while lifting, and to push myself harder at the gym. I like it. It's been a useful training tool.
  • finchase
    finchase Posts: 174
    I use an FT7 and find that it gives me all the features I need. While it is true that it will not really help you lose more weight, I nonetheless found it very enlightening to see a more accurate presentation of how many calories I was really burning versus how many calories whatever machine I was using estimated. Generally, the machine estimated about 1/3 to 1/2 more calories than the HRM. The consequence of that was that it motivated me to work longer and harder at my exercise to improve my burns. So, in that respect, it has helped me lose weight.
  • Another vote for Polar FT7. It is ridiculously easy to use.
  • Dr_sparky
    Dr_sparky Posts: 52 Member

This is great advice. If you want more specific reccomendations, post what type of workouts you plan on doing and if you have any training goals. Also, list your max budget.

I've just started training for a 130mile cycleride which involves a training schedule that slowly increases my distance. I'm also trying to get back upto swimming 3km. I also need to do some hill training. However my main goal at the moment is losing weight, so I want something that can tell me when I'm exercising effectively for weight loss. I'm not sure what my budget is... but I suppose definately less than £200 and hopefully less than £100 but willing to go higher if its actually going to help. I had a HR monitor 8 years ago that only told me HR and cals and wonderig if spending the extra money is worth it for the GPS models and the other extra features.
  • Kap10
    Kap10 Posts: 229 Member
    Looks like the FT7 has it, I love mine. It monitors how many calories I am using during exercise and what I should be doing simply to burn. It helps me lose weight because it gives me a focus also much more accurate than MFP figures for exercise, which in their nature have to be generic.

Did not realise that it does your training zone, but then I have only had it 8 months.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,654 Member

My husband has had the Polar FT7 for over a year and is very pleased with it. I just bought the FT4 and used it yesterday for the first time. Figured out that the number that MFP gave me for how many calories I burn in an hour on the bike is is TWICE as much as I am actually burning. That explains a lot.

The Fitbit seems to be good for those who walk, but doesn't give an accurate burn for cycling or other activities. It also doesn't measure your heart rate, so I'm not sure HOW it gives you an accurate calorie burn just based on the number of steps you take.

If you are going to use a HRM, be sure you get one with a chest strap for an accurate HR and calorie burn. You can find the Polar ones on Ebay for around $50, which is half what you would pay in the stores.

BTW, the features on my husband's FT7 and my FT4 look exactly the same. The FT4 was a little less on Ebay, so I went with that one. The ladies watch has a slimmer band. Everything else is the same.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Nothing will make you lose weight and get fitter except you. That being said, I have a Pyle heart rate monitor with a chest strap. It has a clock, stop watch with calorie tracker, and of course the heart rate. I use the stop watch function to time my run/walk intervals. I like having a closer approximation of how many calories I'm burning, and knowing when my heart rate is getting to high or low. Mine was less than $30 on Amazon, and it's even pink. :smile:
  • I have a Mio watch. It calculates your burn based on your weight and heart rate. You can input your target calories for the day and you can add what you eat (value only). You set the timer to start when you exercise and do heart rate sometime in middle of it. Calculates how many calories burn and keeps a running total. It retails for $59.99 (CAN) but I bought my for $25. I'm sure other ones are good. For me i like this one because I just put it on and go.
  • Kap10
    Kap10 Posts: 229 Member
    Think I got mine from Amazon at £70
  • Polar is the most accurate from what I'v read/heard....Bodybug also has a good reputation but are considerably more expensive than the basic Polar models. I also have the Polar FT7- very user friendly and accurate. Follow the instrucions about rinsing it after each use. Also- I've found it works better with electrode gel as opposed to water. (u can get the gel cheap frm amazon/ebay)

The HR monitor is a useful tool for tracking you calorie burn during exercise. Most of these sites over-estimate the calories burned with activity...which can really tank weight loss if yo want to eat back some of those calories. It also helped me see which dvd's, machines and routines give me more calorie burn for my time!

Good Luck!!
  • I have a Polar FT4. Love it. New from Amazon I paid around $60. I also have a FitBit, which I also love. Unfortunately FB, as mentioned previously, isn't good for logging weightlifting..... which is why I purchased the HRM. FB is a good motivator for when I'm at work (or any other place where I can't actually work out) as it motivates me to walk more. But I wanted an accurate number as much as possible for calories burned, so I got the HRM. Between the 2 of them, I'm pretty happy. :)
  • dreilingda
    dreilingda Posts: 122 Member
    I've just started training for a 130mile cycleride which involves a training schedule that slowly increases my distance. I'm also trying to get back upto swimming 3km. I also need to do some hill training. However my main goal at the moment is losing weight, so I want something that can tell me when I'm exercising effectively for weight loss. I'm not sure what my budget is... but I suppose definately less than £200 and hopefully less than £100 but willing to go higher if its actually going to help. I had a HR monitor 8 years ago that only told me HR and cals and wonderig if spending the extra money is worth it for the GPS models and the other extra features.

Based on your goals, I would say stick with a Polar product because their products seem to be the best when it comes to HR training and multi-sport activities. I narrowed down watches that might be good for you and it seems like the RS300x might be a good choice for your budget, but you would also need to purchase the GPS add on for it. The only polar product currently that has built in GPS is the RC3 GPS but it would not be good for swimming. You could of course just not get one with GPS and use a smart phone app but it will be less accurate. Polar's website has a great product finder. I would start there and then read some reviews on Amazon, etc. to make your final decision.
  • Depending on the exercise you are doing they can help loose weight a lot. Mainly for fatburn or Aerobic heart rate zones. If you have an Iphone 4S or Iphone 5; You can use the new Polar H7 or Wahoo BlueHR (£60) and they don't require adapters. Both link with the main apps for sporting the exercise zone you are best suited to work at depending on your goals. The apps are amazing, especially if you use runkeeper or mapmyride(fitness/run etc).

Although nothing helps like the exercise and correct diet, this would be one of my main tools i recommend for monitoring and tracking your progress.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    A HRM won't help you lose weight. It will tell you how hard you work when you exercise and how many calories you burn but there's no magic about it for weight loss.

This answer came in early, and I'm quoting it because it's the most relevant, sensible statement you're ever going to hear about weight loss and HRMs.

You are training for a long distance race, so you already have a training program that will help you get fit. That, eating in a calorie deficit is all that you need. HRMs do not lose weight for you, they don't speed up weight loss, they don't make your exercise routine more efficient. They don't do anything. Yet so many people, people that I respect, ;people on my FL that I know work out hard, list their exercises as "Running with HRM" as if that's different from, you know, "Running".

Save your money, eat properly, and train hard for your race. Honestly, I've seen HRMs slow weight loss more than speed it up (fat burning zone, anyone?)