The scales tell me one thing, the mirror another!

Options
The scales tell me one thing, but the mirror tells me another... Why do i look like I've not lost any weight!?! I have been dieting for a little over 30 days now and I'm not seeing any physical changes to my body, it's a real motivation knock.Please help explain why?

Replies

• MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Personally, my brain has not catch up with my scale or my clothes. I've gone from a size 26 to an 18, People tell me often they see a big difference, but my mirror still does not agree:huh:

I've read many posts to this affect, I think it's somewhat normal.
  • acctime2change
    Options
    I completely agree, thanks for enlightening me! Ps, great loss! Keep up the great work!!
  • owl_who
    Options
    Have you seen this website?

http://www.mybodygallery.com/

It's really a good reminder of how much one weight can look so different on different people.
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    You rarely see it in yourself.

I've been doing this for 8 weeks now. I can see and feel the muscle gain but not the weight loss. The only thing that alludes me to the fact that its happening are the loose clothes, increased fitness and people telling me. I cant see it myself but im happy to take the small wins and carry on.

As long as you're doing something about it then you're winning. the moment you stop is the moment you lose the battle
  • mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    It takes some time. I didn't see physical changes until I hit around 10lbs (but then I'm a guy). There's also things like visceral fat and other things which could make a difference. Also depends on how much you have to lose - if your body fat % is low to start off with and you have an unrealistic goal, it might be that you are eating away at muscle or something. Make sure you check all these things.

Once I hit 15 lbs, the changes started being quite obvious and I've already gone down two jeans sizes and now have to buy a new pair AGAIN - but this time I'll just wait for everything to settle, because it's been quite a waste already the first pair I bought...
  • davidrolfe79
    davidrolfe79 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I find clothes to be the best indicator for me. I've had to throw some stuff away and buy smaller sizes, shirts are much looser etc.

Do you not find the same?
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    This is why I started a photo album with monthly progress photos and post it on my facebook. My friends are able to point out differences that I can't see and I'm able to look back a month or two and can see what changed. It does take a while though so keep at it! :D
  • SydneyBristowe
    Options
    We see oursleves in the mirror everyday and the gradual changes that come with this journey just aren;t that visable. Plus there's the "fat day" effect - where your weight and size are exactly the same as the previous day, but something has changes psychologically so you think you're loads bigger.

Did you take your measurements? Its a sure fire way to know that you are making a difference rather than relying on your sight! I recommend the Rosemary Connelly Magic Measure as you put tags in to show where you started and move other smaller tags along as you loose inches. Its a great reminder of how far you've come - especially on days when the scale appears to be giving you bad news too
  • Ivy_leaves
    Ivy_leaves Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Trust the mirror. (:
  • elebel82
    elebel82 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    LIES! The mirror only ever lies! Check it in how loose your clothes are, or take a photo of yourself and compare it to one you took at the start of your journey. That's where you'll see the difference!
  • acctime2change
    Options
    Hmm thank you for the replies, I may start taking photographs every weigh in.
  • rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Are you taking measurements at all? I find that helps me more than just the numbers on the scale - even though I love seeing those numbers get smaller! Measurements help me identify where the changes are occuring and how quickly too.
  • thebig_trg
    thebig_trg Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    For me it's the opposite: I see changes in the mirror as well as notice my clothes fitting better, but the damn scale doesn't budge. I've gained and lost the same 2-3 lbs for like 3 months! I am a lot stronger however, so I just figure it's muscle gain.
  • ksmiley412
    ksmiley412 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I know I wish I would have measured when I started I can feel the difference in my clothes and friends are telling me they can see it but when I look at pictures of me took on Saturday I do not see a change. I hate pictures :(