is there such a thing as too much water??

Options
gisii
gisii Posts: 74 Member
sometimes i feel soo full from it i wonder if i may be overdoing the whole water thing??

Replies

• EmilyStrick
    EmilyStrick Posts: 267
    Options
    only if you're not peeing!
  • penash
    penash Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is such a thing as too much water. If you drink too much water, you induce a state know as hyponatremia, which can be potentially fatal. This is a state in which you've drank so much water that you've flushed out all of the electrolytes (sodium or potassium) from your body. Mind you, it takes A LOT of water to reach this state. See the link below for more detailed information.

http://www.alpharubicon.com/med/watertox.html
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    YES.

In fact, in 2007 a woman died in the Hold your wee for a Wii contest, while attempting to be the contestant to drink the most water without peeing.

The amount of water you need depends on your individual person. For example - if you eat a lot of water-rich foods you may need less. If you eat a lot of salty foods you need more. If you sweat more than some because you exercise a lot or live in a hot climate you need more to restore what your body has lost.

There is some advice from the Mayo Clinic on the correct amount based on the "average" person, but their general rule is:

" if you drink enough fluid so that you rarely feel thirsty and produce 1.5 liters (6.3 cups) or more of colorless or slightly yellow urine a day, your fluid intake is probably adequate."

It's really rare to go over to a dangerous level like the Wii chick, but if you drink more than your body needs for long enough you can start reducing the amount of electrolytes in your system.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    That's the magic of water - it's a natural hunger suppressant!!

As long as you're drinking at least half your weight in ounces, then you're ok. If you work out or take in too much sodium, you'll want to drink even more to replenish what you lose to the two. But if being full is the only side affect, then you're fine!

But, it can, it unhealthy excess amounts be bad for you. To quote from a website online (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication):
    Water intoxication (also known as hyper-hydration or water poisoning) is a potentially fatal disturbance in brain functions that results when the normal balance of electrolytes in the body is pushed outside of safe limits by over-consumption of water. Normal, healthy (physically, nutritionally and mentally) individuals have little reason to worry about accidentally consuming too much water. Nearly all deaths related to water intoxication in normal individuals have resulted either from water drinking contests, in which individuals attempt to consume high amounts of water, or long bouts of intensive exercise during which electrolytes are not properly replenished, yet excessive amounts of fluid are still consumed

Here's another article that explains it pretty well (http://health.howstuffworks.com/water-intoxication.htm):
    At its most basic, water intoxication occurs when a person drinks so much water that the other nutrients in the body become diluted to the point that they can no longer do their jobs. ... Symptoms of water intoxication actually look a lot like the symptoms of alcohol intoxication, including nausea, altered mental state, and vomiting. Other symptoms include headaches, muscle weakness and convulsions. In severe cases of water intoxication, coma and death come fairly quickly as a result of brain swelling. The condition is quite rare in the general population, but in distance athletics, it's a known risk and is often avoided by drinking sports drinks instead of water during training and events.
  • Kalamitykate
    Kalamitykate Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If you're drinking excessively and not maintaining adequate levels of electrolytes/nutrients it can cause hyponatremia which is potentially deadly. It's not super common but is seen in Grand Canyon or desert hikers. It also caused the death of a woman participating in a "Wee for Wii" water drinking competition in California a few years ago. The good news is if you keep your electrolyte levels up and don't go completely overboard on water you should be OK.

EDIT - Looks like a couple other folks posted at the same time. Great minds think alike :smile:
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    Absolutely. A couple years ago my wife went in for surgery -- female stuff. My wife drinks a lot of water. My duaghter and I went in to visit her that evening and she was a little incoherent, but I assumed it was the pain medication. We left. About an hour later the hospital called. Asking a lot of questions. Alcohol? Drug use, etc. My wife does neither.

To make a long story short, I asked if I should get back to the hospital. Yes. She slipped into a coma that evening. Doctor couldn't figure it out. It was finally determined that she has consumed so much water that she had depleted her body of nutrients and electrolytes. Much like a long distance runner might.

She remained in a coma for 3 days, but with intraveneous replacment of electolytes, etc. she recovered.

Worst week of my life.
  • StephanieJ82
    Options
    Absolutely. A couple years ago my wife went in for surgery -- female stuff. My wife drinks a lot of water. My duaghter and I went in to visit her that evening and she was a little incoherent, but I assumed it was the pain medication. We left. About an hour later the hospital called. Asking a lot of questions. Alcohol? Drug use, etc. My wife does neither.

To make a long story short, I asked if I should get back to the hospital. Yes. She slipped into a coma that evening. Doctor couldn't figure it out. It was finally determined that she has consumed so much water that she had depleted her body of nutrients and electrolytes. Much like a long distance runner might.

She remained in a coma for 3 days, but with intraveneous replacment of electolytes, etc. she recovered.

Worst week of my life.

WOW Thats horrible. I am happy everything turned out ok. I had no idea that could happen.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Seriously guys, if you're going to get hyponatremia, you a) have to have a kidney problem OR b) you drink gallons and gallons of water in a very short amount of time. Your kidneys can handle a lot, so feel free to drink a lot per day. I drink over a gallon a day. Those people that die due to "water intoxication" have consumed like 4 gallons in 30 minutes (I remember a frat initiation ended like this). Of course there are always exceptions, but the majority can handle lots of water per day.

Why I know this: I'm a medical student.
  • Kalamitykate
    Kalamitykate Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Vallandingham, What a scary experience for you and your family. It's great to hear she recovered well.

Courtney, While you're correct that it is rare, it is a concern for folks engaged in intense athletic activities. I've worked as a backcountry ranger/EMT at Grand Canyon, Zion and Yosemite and have treated cases at all of those parks. In the Grand Canyon they treat more than one a week throughout the summer. The article excerpted below also claims that 10-15% of marathoners suffer some level of water intoxication. So, while it's rare it shouldn't be completely dismissed. Anyone involved in strenuous physical activity, or considering training for marathons or extended hikes in hot environments should be aware of how to prevent it and alert for symptoms.

http://www.revolutionhealth.com/conditions/first-aid-safety/first-aid-treatment/hyponatremia/
    "Water intoxication (called hyponatremia) — once rare — is occurring more frequently as more recreational walkers, runners, cyclists and orienteering enthusiasts conquer marathons, 24-hour mountain bike races and other long-distance events. At greatest risk are those pounding the pavement for more than four hours and, in the process, drinking so much water and sports drink that they dangerously dilute the sodium concentration in their blood, jeopardizing vital body functions, Siegel says.

"It's a real problem and it's more dangerous than dehydration," he says. "We're seeing [varying degrees] of water intoxication in 10 to 15 percent of marathon participants." Several runners have died from hyponatremia in recent years, said he adds, including a 22-year old fitness trainer and first-time marathoner who died after completing the London Marathon in April."
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Seriously guys, if you're going to get hyponatremia, you a) have to have a kidney problem OR b) you drink gallons and gallons of water in a very short amount of time. Your kidneys can handle a lot, so feel free to drink a lot per day. I drink over a gallon a day. Those people that die due to "water intoxication" have consumed like 4 gallons in 30 minutes (I remember a frat initiation ended like this). Of course there are always exceptions, but the majority can handle lots of water per day.

With one exception - endurance runners (marathons, ultramarathons) seem to get especially hard from this. Loss of electrolytes from sweating, lots of water stands, no replenishment of elecrolytes.. yeah. Not a good time.

The amount of water you would need normally is excessive to say the least. Its nearly impossible to get to under normal drinking water conditions. If you're casually drinking throughout the day you have nothing to worry about.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Yes! One of the exceptions :)
  • aawh
    aawh Posts: 96 Member
    Options

Thanks for posting this, some of the other responses on here were starting to worry me a bit.
  • gisii
    gisii Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    wow thanks you guys!!!