Fasted lifting yay or nay?

Options
I always do fasted cardio & have no issues. But since I started fasted lifting as well I'm finding it to be hard to making it through my work outs sometimes. Is lifting without having a meal before a bad idea or is it just me having issues with this? I do always work out in the mornings before I do anything else. So I'm thinking of switching it up to:
6:00am Fasted cardio
6:30-6:45am Eat breakfast
7:15am Weight lifting

Any ideas or suggestions on the topic?

Replies

• jstandfield
    jstandfield Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you ate the night before. If you want to do cardio and weights from 6am to say 8 am, then the night before make sure you consume a decent amount of slow digesting(complex) carbs. Then it depends on what you doing and how much effort it requires. I typically workout on a empty stomach. I do use a pre-workout mix for energy. However on my "leg" day I do eat a big breakfast because I get light headed when I do squats if I dont. On some days I lift weights in the morning and the do two or three hours of jui jitsu in the same morning. I do eat a protein bar in between. But it also depends on your body fat, if its low then working out on a empty stomach will be difficult at best. Hope this helps.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i prefer doing my tougher workouts fasted. BUT i can't screw around afterwards. must eat food ASAP afterwards
  • DJ2120
    DJ2120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input :smile:
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, your body needs fuel for your lifting workouts. I would eat a small meal, or drink a protein shake before, or during your weight training workout. Your body needs the BCAAs if there are no carbs to fuel your muscles.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Some people prefer it, I run out of gas if I donmt have something on my stomach.

If you're pressed for time, try something quick like a protein shake and fruit.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,192 Member
    Options
    I think it is completely a matter of personal preference. I have no issue doing any sort of workout fasted lifting, intervals, extended cardio. Other people can't do it at all. Find what works for you allowing you to do the work you need to while remaining focused.
  • DJ2120
    Options
    From what I've read, your body needs fuel for your lifting workouts. I would eat a small meal, or drink a protein shake before, or during your weight training workout. Your body needs the BCAAs if there are no carbs to fuel your muscles.

I agree with this, that's why I think I'm going to start with my fasted cardio at home, eat my breakfast & then go to the gym to do my weight lifting. I think I will do much better this way & get much more out of my workout. My friend told me I'm crazy for weight lifting on an empty stomach, he said it's like trying to race a car that's almost out of gas, you aren't going to make it very far.
  • DJ2120
    Options
    I think it is completely a matter of personal preference. I have no issue doing any sort of workout fasted lifting, intervals, extended cardio. Other people can't do it at all. Find what works for you allowing you to do the work you need to while remaining focused.

I completely agree.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i've done it, but i cheat and have coffee before hand.

i have a big protein shake afterwards though.
  • DJ2120
    Options
    Ok, so I just finished my 45 mins of cardio. Now, I'm eating some oatmeal & then I'm dropping the little one off to school & heading to the gym for leg day. Let's see how it goes with me doing it on fueled up tank :smile:
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I can handle cardio or light work without food, but for heavy stuff or lots of reps, I need food in me.
  • budru21
    budru21 Posts: 127
    Options
    I am one of those weaklings that can't go two seconds if I'm hungry (lol) so I will eat a protein and complex carb heavy meal an hour before, then lift. On my leg days, I actually get up eat my normal lifting breakfast, then go back to bed for a few hours and eat again before lifting. :-)
  • DJ2120
    Options
    I am one of those weaklings that can't go two seconds if I'm hungry (lol) so I will eat a protein and complex carb heavy meal an hour before, then lift. On my leg days, I actually get up eat my normal lifting breakfast, then go back to bed for a few hours and eat again before lifting. :-)

Well you look amazing so if it's working for you, I'm all for it! I definitely feel better this morning since I ate before I did my lifting, instead of feeling light headed & weak. Figuring out what works for you & what doesn't seems like a never ending journey, but it's worth it :wink:
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    There's some interesting literature out there that could help you decide how to implement fasted training. The Carb Backloading book has some interesting protocols in it for AM fasted training as well as recommendations for maximizing the anabolic effects of certain food sources around early AM training with a lot of the science behind it explained. Also, "The art and science of low carbohydrate performance" by Jeff Volek and Stephen Phinney talks about ketogenic adaptation and training fasted at various times during the day. You don't necessarily have to follow these protocols, but the information in these sources is well researched and could help you understand the different responses to what you would put in prior to the training session.
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs with protein the night before (mostly white rice or potatoes) to fuel my 7am workouts;

I just have a mug of coffee and green tea tabs before I hit the gym and then protein shake with carbs after.

I never have any issues with heavy lifts with this type of eating.

So I would say I am not fasted but I haven't had solid food for around 10 hours.
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Depends on what kind of breakfast and lifting you are doing. For me 30mins isn't enough time to digest a large breakfast before lifting heavy. With that schedule I'd just have a small amount of simple sugars like dates or a small amount of fruit or honey for energy and have a proper breakfast after lifting. Valsalva pressure is no fun with food in your stomach. You also don't want to be bogged down or drowsy because your body is putting a lot of resources into digesting your breakfast.

Personally my best heavy lifting workouts are in the afternoon, a couple hours after having a hearty lunch. For scheduling reasons for the last couple years I've been basically just rolling out of bed and lifting with nothing in my gut. I don't believe it's optimal or does anything helpful as far as weight-loss. But it's hard and my body has been adapting to the challenge and I like that.