Juicing

Options
Anyone juice? What are the benefits- does it really taste good? Recipes? How many times a day? Any other pointers, tips, thoughts?

Replies

• Julie7741
    Julie7741 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I do, and I love it... We don't "fast" but include it as part of our regular diet. I usually do it a few times a week. Wish I could do more, but I like it in the morning and it takes a few extra minutes. It does not store well, you want to drink it as soon as you make it. It does taste good. Once you start drinking fresh juice, the bottled stuff doesn't even compare. Our favorite is apple, carrot, and kale. You don't taste the kale, and it is high in nutrients. I recommend combining fruit/veggie juice. Straight fruit juice is pretty high in sugar, and those calories can add up quickly. If you throw a few apples in the juice, everything tastes like the apple. My picky 10 year old will drink most of what we make. Cucumbers produce a lot of liquid, and seem to help with bloating/water retention. The only thing I've found that I did NOT like was celery. But, I'm not a fan of celery to begin with. I think it can be a beneficial addition to a healthy diet.
  • ooBombshellBeautyoo
    ooBombshellBeautyoo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    What juicer do you have? They can be expensive...
  • HSMyTwins
    HSMyTwins Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    We like to juice carrots, apples, celery, beets and fresh ginger.

I don't know how to count the calories on that.
  • Julie7741
    Julie7741 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    We have a Breville. It has worked like a charm, and is relatively easy to clean. It was expensive- I'm thinking around $150. I do know that with juicers you get what you pay for, though... My sister-in-law had a cheap Jack LaLane that she had to send back twice.
  • deniseeats
    Options
    i was given a juicer that a friend did not use. It was a black and decker entry level model. It worked well but juicing is expensive! I also felt like i was missing the good stuff - fiber and taste. I could drink a mango, kale and apple much faster than i owuld ever eat it so i was also worried about the calories.

ask around to borrow one before you buy.
  • MrsTre
    MrsTre Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I fell in love with juicing once I bought one about a month ago. I juice at least six days/week for breakfast - kale, pear, apples, strawberries, carrots, etc. I agree that it taste MUCH BETTER than store-bought juice. It's more expensive and takes a few extra minutes to clean up. But its healthier. I have a Jack Lalanne for $99 at Walmart. It's a great starter and gives a lot of juice. I will get a Breville next.
  • sovannac
    sovannac Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Today is my first day of juicing. I just watched "Sick, Fat & Nearly" dead and it was inspiration. Not just for the weight loss but his entire transformation. We purchased the Jack Lalanne and it's pretty simple to use. The clean up is a bit much but I don't mind. We decided on one recipe for now and venture out once we get used to juicing a bit more. Get back to me in a day or two and I'll let you know how I feel! :)
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Never knew so many on MFP were so open about their use of anabolic steroids.