So I just discovered BMR... advice please?

Options
Hi all :)
I've been logging on MFP for a few months now but have only lost a few pounds. I have fallen off the wagon with exercising recently but I am going to get back into my normal routine of exercising 5-6 times per week - usually a rotation of pilates, running, walking or swimming.
I am type one diabetic and have spoken to my doc about losing weight- he says that cutting down on carbs is fine but I am not to cut them out altogether. I also have an underactive thyroid but take meds to sort that out.
However I have just come across a BMR calculator and worked out that my BMR is 1539. I plan to be quite active every day, so my caloric intake to maintain will be 2386.
I have about a stone to lose but I want to do it sensibly - can someone please have a look at my diary from the last few weeks and give me some tips and tricks? I lov eating but don't want to be miserable. I am a 'grazer' so love to snack and don't want to give up carbs but I am going mad that nothing seems to be changing and the scales/tape isn't showing any difference :(
Please help!!!
Becky

Replies

• Walternator
    Walternator Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You need to open up your food diary so we can see it.
  • chrisa8170
    chrisa8170 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Hi, I take it you are using the site BMR? can you post your basics i.e. height / weight so we can double check your calculations, also how did you categorise your self in relation to activity levels? as that will impact on the BMR you get.

You also need to change your diary settings, go to 'Settings' then Diary Settings and select the one you are most comfortable with.

Don't forget you can always change it from public to friends or private at any time.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    According to TDEE (2386) minus 20% you should be eating roughly 1900 calories (total, not net) per day to lose weight. Hope this helps.
  • beckarini
    beckarini Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Duhhhh- sorry!!!! Mind blank when posting. It's visible now.
    I used an external one- didn't realise I could use one on here.
    I'm 5ft4, 159 lbs and 23 years old. I categorised myself as exercising 5 times a week.
    Many thanks for your comments!!!
    Becky x
  • chrisa8170
    Options
    Looking at the diary two things stand out for me (and please see this is helpful not a criticism) firstly logging is inconsistent, the key to understanding things is having the data to work with in the first place. An example of this for me was a week where I was on target for loss through callories but stayed static at the weigh in, I loooked back through the data and two days beore the weigh in I didn't realise I had a massive intake of sodium, which resuted in water retention hence no loss.

Secondly if the diary is accurate then you have probably kicked you body in to starvation mode and therefore it will hold on to anything is has. You should not be eating less that the 1200 per day.

Feel free to add me as a friend and I will try to give you my help and support (usual disclaimer etc, etc)
  • chrisa8170
    Options
    Hi
    Duhhhh- sorry!!!! Mind blank when posting. It's visible now.
    I used an external one- didn't realise I could use one on here.
    I'm 5ft4, 159 lbs and 23 years old. I categorised myself as exercising 5 times a week.
    Many thanks for your comments!!!
    Becky x

Go to apps, there on the right hand side you will find BMR and BMI calculators the site uses. - According to MFP your BMR is 1461 calories.

You can also use calculators, I think fitnessfrog is one quite a few people use - fitness frog puts your BMR at 1533
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    My late bride was a type-1 Diabetic... possibly I can lend some assistance. First off, do check this link - http://www.umm.edu/patiented/articles/what_effects_of_exercise_on_diabetes_000029_4.htm
    It was given to us many times by her doctor and nutritionist.

1. Your BMR, calculated is 1535, to lose 1 pound/week, at a rate of 20% decrease, you should be eating around 1228 Calories per day, with no exercise. If you exercise, make sure you wear an HRM that has a Calorie Burn tracker and ensure that your settings are not only initially set, but kept up. Add these burned calories back in for your TDEE. For example...1228 + 300 Calories burned = 1528 for the day. NOTE: for myself, I plan my day, if I feel hungry, I work out so I can fill up later. But I do not add in the estimated burn, eat, and then not work out.

2. Do NOT cut out your carbs. I'm not sure how long you have been a Type-1 D, but your carbs are what effect you the greatest. Insufficient carbs can cause you to become dizzy, light-headed, and pass out...sending your body into diabetic seizures due to low blood sugars. When you work out, know that you will burn carbs - but there is a 2-fold effect. 1) your body will release sugars while you exercise, increasing your counts as you need "fuel". 2) After working out, your counts will drop. You need to monitor your levels closely, unless you are very familiar with your "feeling" of your levels. This being said, being insulin dependent, you need to intake carbs before your workouts. It's VERY tricky, but you can master it within 4 days with monitoring.

3. Be 100% honest in your journal. If you truly want this, you will take the action to achieve.

Good luck!