Exercising without a gym/equipment

Options
Recently I had to give up my gym membership because they closed the location that was convenient to my house and it wasn't realistic for me to make the drive to the next closest facility. I know that I can do all kinds of things at home, but I was wondering what some of your favorite non-gym/equipment-related exercises were. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Replies

• moounir
    moounir Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    For me it's abdominal and push-ups workout and WII sport. I think that with a step and video from Youtube and not a lot of material you can do a good job.
  • IronTitaness
    Options
    Hi Imdee :).

There are loads of material on youtube. Also you can do some bodyweight exercises as well.

Take care :flowerforyou:
  • SaraRT1983
    Options
    Walking/Jogging the neighborhood and/or high school track. I did buy an $8.00 exercise ball that I love using for ab crunches!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Got a smart phone? Nike Training Club is a free app and it's full of great workouts from 15 to 45 minutes long, great to mix and match. A lot of them require dumbbells and a medicine ball, but those are easy to pick up at a sporting good store, or even a Marshalls or TJ Maxx. Actually, the dumbbells at Marshall's & TJ Maxx are usually pretty small, so go for Target or a sporting goods store - but you can often find good gear for a lot less money at the discount stores. Check the men's area for heavier medicine balls and weights.
  • peter236uk
    peter236uk Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Walk and jog its free out in the fresh air what could be better
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    8-count body builders.

If you're willing to invest in something, anything at all, I recommend a suspension trainer. for $90 you can get a good one and it is a really good bodyweight training tool. I use it, love it, and I also use sandbags. There are muscle groups you can't hit with just simple bodyweight training without a pullup bar or something else and suspension trainers allow you to hit those too.

For cardio I like jump rope.
  • JSheehy1965
    Options
    "You Are Your Own Gym" - great book of bodyweight exercises. Don't need equipment except what you have in your house.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    If I didn't have a gym membership I would run and do bodyweight exercises...push ups, sit ups, pull ups (strong doorframe or outside structure that will hold your weight?), burpees, lunges, squats, side lunges, dips, planks, crunches, jumping squats, lunges for plyometrics...
  • igottaworkout
    igottaworkout Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    go to youtube and search '30 day shred' and you will get a great 30 day exercise routine (there is level 1, 2, and 3 and you do each for 10 days). There are a ton of exercises like that on youtube where all you need is some space, a mat on the floor and some dumbbells :) There's zumba.. kickboxing.. etc.. but I started with the 30 day shred and lost 5 lb so far with it :)