bloatation

Options
things like dark leafy greens and broccoli can make you bloated. and let's not forget about beans and cauliflower. what the hell? you just can't win. i hate being bloated.

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    You just have to ease into them. I don't have this problem due to my being a vegetarian and I eat at least one bloat indusing food a day...I guess my body just adapted.
  • EmilyStrick
    EmilyStrick Posts: 267
    Options
    You just have to ease into them. I don't have this problem due to my being a vegetarian and I eat at least one bloat indusing food a day...I guess my body just adapted.

i've been mostly vegetarian for some time and have always had cyclical bloating problems. i used to eat too much (which is why i am here :laugh: ), so i thought that was the problem. but no...i guess not! just trying to figure out what is causing the bloating!!! i'm starting to wonder if it's more than just foods........
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options

i've been mostly vegetarian for some time and have always had cyclical bloating problems. i used to eat too much (which is why i am here :laugh: ), so i thought that was the problem. but no...i guess not! just trying to figure out what is causing the bloating!!! i'm starting to wonder if it's more than just foods........

Maybe it's not just the food then, huh. Have you taken any of the bean-o type products? If those work when you eat these types of veg then that's the problem...if it's not helping maybe you need to go to the doctor.
  • arfletcher
    arfletcher Posts: 143
    Options
    Do you know that it is the greens and beans that are bugging you? I thought it was that bugging me when I went almost totally vegitarian a while back- then thought that it might be dairy that was bugging me, I'm lacotse intollerant but- NOPE! I have finaly pinned it down on WHEAT!

If it is just the greens and beans... Do you cook your beans yourself or buy canned? If you soak them overnight then rinse and cook them yourself it tends to reduce the gasses. Also making sure to rinse them really, really well out of the can helps a bit.
  • EmilyStrick
    Options
    Maybe it's not just the food then, huh. Have you taken any of the bean-o type products? If those work when you eat these types of veg then that's the problem...if it's not helping maybe you need to go to the doctor.

i have never tried anything like bean-o, but i do take acidophilus which helps a lot! what's in bean-o, anyway??? i have reduced my sodium intake tremendously (i normally stay under 900mg a day), so i know it's not that (well, maybe occasionally when i eat at a restaurant!!!).

i have toyed with the idea of cutting out gluten because beer makes me INSANELY bloated, but i always figured it to just be a fad thing and therefor avoided falling prey. although, trying to stay under 1300 calories a day doesn't allow for too many gluten-containing products anyway!!! :wink:

it's just weird because it doesn't always happen, and it def happens more around TOM. i think what i'll do is start writing down every time i feel bloated and what i ate previous to that and maybe i will see a trend......
  • EmilyStrick
    Options
    Do you know that it is the greens and beans that are bugging you? I thought it was that bugging me when I went almost totally vegitarian a while back- then thought that it might be dairy that was bugging me, I'm lacotse intollerant but- NOPE! I have finaly pinned it down on WHEAT!

If it is just the greens and beans... Do you cook your beans yourself or buy canned? If you soak them overnight then rinse and cook them yourself it tends to reduce the gasses. Also making sure to rinse them really, really well out of the can helps a bit.

i may look further into the wheat thing....

and i like the beans from dried idea. i do rinse them completely out of the can, but am admittedly a little lazy for the dried beans..........

hey...we all have our faults! :laugh:
  • EmilyStrick
    Options
    come to think of it (gluten wise)...i've been chowing down on clif bars lately and have been more bloated.........
  • bizaggie07
    Options
    Emily,

I've noticed that as I am losing weight and TOM approaches, I feel like I am bloated a lot more than usual as well. The sauna doesn't help, exercising doesn't help, increasing water doesn't help and reducing my sodium doesn't help either! I've tracked my bloat days and I attribute it to the following: (1) being more aware of my leaner body during non-TOM days and thus even MORE aware of my TOM bloating and (2) the increase in leafy vegetables and grains in my every day diet.

It is VERY frustrating and now I understand why all those skinny friends of mine complain incessantly about how bloated they feel. The encouraging aspect is that I am BECOMING one of my skinny friends who *****es about her bloating [note the word SKINNY though!] and secondly I am more inclined to hit the gym and at least make an attempt to sweat it off.

Best of luck finding a balance and battling the bloat. :drinker:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    Try cutting the wheat...that could be the issue.
  • arfletcher
    arfletcher Posts: 143
    Options

i may look further into the wheat thing....

and i like the beans from dried idea. i do rinse them completely out of the can, but am admittedly a little lazy for the dried beans..........

hey...we all have our faults! :laugh:

We went to dry to cut down on sodium - its a bit of a pain to have to soak them overnight - takes more time. But the difference in flavor is insane - we got lazy recently and bought chick peas to make hummus instead of making our own chick peas - YUCK! Nowhere near as flavorful.

And do check into cutting wheat - I dont go crazy reading lables myself - but I have cut obviouse wheat and glutens have helped alot! If it doesnt work then you can add it back :)