Going to the gym any suggestions

Options
I need some new exercises to do to change it up, I am pretty much always doing the same thing
60 mins. on the bike then
arms, abs, and back machines, but I have stopped losing so I guess every month I have decided I should change up my routine,
I am mostly concerned with cardio since I really want to lose, but my skin is lose and anything that can tone it up is really appreciated.
Is it worth it to hire a trainer?

Replies

• courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I don't know about strength training, but you could start running. It is difficult, and you have to build yourself up, but it is great for cardio. I think building your endurance would keep you occupied, and your body definitely wouldn't know what to think when you started running :laugh:

I think you should hold off on the trainer until you get rid of all the fat that you want. Someone once told me that you can train and train your muscles, but if they're buried under inches of fat, you're not going to see all that hard work! Yet, if you feel a trainer would keep you motivated and you have the extra cash, I say go for it. It couldn't hurt!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Run. Run like the wind, Bullseye! Seriously, running is a great all over cardio workout, especially in intervals. Try the couch to 5k program :)
  • kwaters7
    kwaters7 Posts: 129
    Options
    Hey!

I'm no expert but have found mixing up the exercises and stepping up the workout intensity on each type has helped me. (28lbs since Jan 1)

Your body will get used to whatever you do so would think about switching from the bike to the cross trainer, the rowing machines, the treadmill and the maybe the pool. Any kind of interval training is great as well.

My question is if you are doing regular 60 min workouts why you aren't losing - are you simply toning up and replacing fat with muscle or are you not eating enough (& losing muscle and slowing metabolism)?

Anyway, good luck! sorry i'm pretty clueless about personal trainers and skin toning.
  • dkcj4fox
    dkcj4fox Posts: 35
    Options
    First off, Always do strength training before cardio. You can warm up for 10 min first, but you should lift and then finish on the bike or treadmill for 20 min. Or better yet, I suggest lifting twice a week and doing cardio 2-3 separate days a week.

Next, always start with the large muscle groups--- ( Try 2 or 3 sets , and 12-15 reps)
    (rest between sets = 45-60 secs)

Chest Press
    Lat Pulldown
    Leg Press
    Shoulder Press
    Barbell Curl
    Tricep Pressdowns

You can lose without doing cardio --- I lost 25 lbs in 6 months when I started lifting. I did cardio once a week!
    I trained hard and watched what I was eating.

PS --Yes, I was a personal trainer for 5 years back in the early 90's.
  • RentThisSpace
    RentThisSpace Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Sounds like changing your routine from biking to running, elliptical, or stair climbing would help there. Change up your cardio to something more strenuous than biking. I'd recommend running.

For weight training, you are on the right track to change up the exercises you are doing regularly. This prevents the muscles from getting used to doing the same movements. Or change the order in which you do the exercises. This can help as well. Take a good look at your routine and do some research for similar exercises on that same muscle group. For example, if you have been consistently doing sit-ups for abs, start doing planks as well to keep it mixed up.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    If your up to it, ZUMBA! I do it and love it! I'm trying to go 4-5 times a week, on average it burns 500-600 cals in an hour, depending on the instructor. In my opinion its a high intensity strength training cardio work out! They even have Zomba toning where you incorporate weights. Good luck!
  • thenebean9
    thenebean9 Posts: 216
    Options
    couch to 5k is definitely something i recommend! when you go to the gym - change it up! use different machines (elliptical, stair stepper, bike, treadmill etc) each time you go for cardio. definitely change up your weight regiment too! you can't let your body get used to the same thing, or it stops reacting! good luck :D
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Running has helped me and I use free weights too! Plus ,you can increase the amount of weight you are lifting.
  • ScarletTarah
    ScarletTarah Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I always thought i should do the cardio first and warm myself up before strength training.

What is the couch to 5k?
  • thenebean9
    thenebean9 Posts: 216
    Options
    it's a running plan to get you from just a little bit of jogging, to being able to run a 5k race in 8 weeks. check it out here!

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Don't fear the stairmaster, either...it works muscles that other machines never do and always challenges me. Good for the tush!
  • dkcj4fox
    dkcj4fox Posts: 35
    Options
    I always thought i should do the cardio first and warm myself up before strength training.

What is the couch to 5k?

A 10 minute warm-up is fine, but not a full cardio session before lifting.
  • brycepierson
    Options
    Have you tried strength training or circuit training?
    It is far more beneficial to spend your time in the gym building lean strong muscle that will burn more extra calories for you throughout the day. At least this has been my experience....plus you don't waste too much time in the gym.(This doesn't mean you have to be a big gym monkey either:))
    If you do cardio do your strength training first
    >this has been recommended by many trainers, plus its also in most firefighters workout regiments....
    I used to waste hours on the treadmill until I figured this out.
    Cheers