HELP- need advice from runners

Options
I have been doing MFP since June and lost about a pound a week. I exercised almost everyday. I started off walking, and did a lot of hiking/climbing of hills and have been running the last month. OK, so now that the weather is crappy (I live in Ontario, Canada and it is getting colder every day!) I have continued eating the same, but haven't been able to keep up with my exercise and haven't lost a single pound this month. I tried running, but found it slippery and my lungs hurt from the cold air! So, for the runners out there in cold climates....do I buy different shoes? Do I buy different clothes? I have a treadmill, but find it is too easy to get off!! At least when I am running in the great outdoors, I can't "get off" - I have to finish. Any suggestions??

Replies

• Ke11yJo
    Ke11yJo Posts: 141
    Options
    I am a new runner too also in Southern Ontario. I don't have the answers for you but here is a link to a recent thread that may give you some good pointers :flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/779081-running-outside-in-winter
  • olemissgal00als
    olemissgal00als Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I do not live in slippery conditions so I am not sure about the shoes but when it gets cold, I wear layers so that once I get going, I can take off stuff if I get hot. I wear gloves and a headband around my ears and to prevent that burning chest feeling, a scarf or bandana around my nose and mouth. Once you get going and your body warms up, you can take the scarf or bandana off. It is just that initial cold air and breathing that causes the burn. Wool socks are good and a fast drying base layer under your normal running clothes. If outside it too hazardous, try a "fun" program on the treadmill where you vary speeds and inclines to keep yourself guessing. You could also try aerobics or any at home workout (plenty of videos on youtube).
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Buy a baklava and breathe through it, should help keep warm, moist air in your lungs. I know my first couple runs in the cold arent the greatest, but your body adapts. I like running warehouse as it shows me the temps for which a piece of clothing might be suited.

Not sure what you mean by slippery, as in there is snow and ice on the ground? You can buy Yak Traks or stick some screws head side down on your running shoes. Or find groomed/trails that would give you more traction.
  • nefbaker
    Options
    I live in northern Iowa, so I'm preparing for the cold weather. You will want to get better traction shoes and warm weather gear....dress in layers because as you run you'll get too warm and as you cool down you'll catch a chill. You may want a muffler for over your face. Main thing is to slow down and you'll need to acclimatize yourself to the cold.
    I hate treadmills, but there are times where it is too cold and too slippery to run, so I do use a treadmill then. I'll watch television while running and I can NOT get off while my show is running. Remember to up your incline a bit (1 degree or so) to mimic running outside better.
    Use the treadmill to begin training yourself to run at a certain pace....do speed intervals ... one minute at just about as fast as you can run, one minute at 2.5 miles per hour or so....15 minutes of that will kick your butt and you'll start running faster overall.

Good luck. Don't give up! I managed to maintain throughout last winter with my best friend and she and I ran a half marathon together in March.
  • MissMichellemybelle
    Options
    Hi Dorothy! My best advice is to just tough it out and get out there! Make sure you have plenty of layers on to keep you warm, and be careful with snow etc but running in the winter is honestly one of my favorite times to run!

I now live in Florida, so don't get to run in snow and cold much anymore, but when I was in Chicago I really enjoyed it.

Slow down your pace, it will take some time to adjust your lungs to the dryness of the air, but you'll get accustomed to it. Wear layers, bring your kleenex and chap stick, make sure your shoes have some decent tread on them and go for it! You'll always be faster than the people sitting on the couch!
  • baoneill29
    baoneill29 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I am the same way with you about the treadmill, but sometimes if I want to run, that is the only choice. I find if I distract myself it's not so boring, like listening to ipod, watching tv, trying to run 5 min, 10 min, 30 min without stopping. Nothing beats a nice run outside, but if you find someway to mix it up on the treadmill its not so bad! Good luck!
  • Dorothy888
    Dorothy888 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    THANKS so much for all the great advice!! I am just going to stop being a baby and get out there!!! You're right - I am faster than those people sitting on their couches...not much faster, but faster!!!!:laugh:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    i am in Ontario too, i run rain or shine, i have to say, today was one of the worst days i have had in a long time!
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Living in central Canada, we can have steady temps up to -25 celcius, so my treadmill is my savior! However, I will be running a 5 k next wknd, outdoors and the temps are supposed to hover around zero. I bought some layers and some new running shoes, (I find new has better grip than my worn in ones). I am just hoping for the best!
  • MarissaF80
    Options
    You can purchase ice cleats that go on your existing running shoes. I live in Salt Lake City, Utah, and the weather conditions can be pretty slick at times and these do the trick for me. Here's a link to provide you with more information: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-323--12421-0,00.html

As far as dressing for cold weather running goes, you should wear wick-dry running clothes that will keep you warm while allowing your body to breath, and keeping your clothing relatively dry from sweat so you don't freeze. Once you run in the cold more your lungs will get used to it, although I still cough for a bit after a cold weather run. Hope this was helpful!
  • _Tristan_
    _Tristan_ Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I live in Wisconsin and we get some cold weather (and I have asthma so that doesn't help too) so I move my routine indoors. I have a membership to a place where the track is short but I just add sprints, stairs and lifting to my routines. They all add to my overall fitness so I don't mind too much. Good luck!
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I live in Texas, so I know our weather is much more mild than yours, but I went for a run the other night in slippery, cold (45 degrees) weather. I had new shoes with a good grip and I had on a North Face fleece jacket that zips up in front, compression running pants, and a long sleeved shirt. After the 1st mile, I got pretty used to the cold air and after about mile 2, I took off the jacket and it was perfect! Start out with some solid running shoes and layer to see what feels good to you - maybe you want 2 long sleeved shirts and a jacket and then you can peel it off as you warm up (and put it back on afterward).

I think I'm also going to invest in some other gear - some fleece gloves and maybe an ear warmer too.

Good luck!