not loosing any weight...

Options
Hormones aside... I can't seem to loose any weight yet. When I first started to work out - committed - It is one month today. I can tell that I have lost a few inches, but when I weighed myself this morning, I had actually GAINED 3lbs!! I don't know what I'm doing wrong! I am on a low carb diet to off-set my pre-diabetes and I do AT LEAST 30mins of exercise every day and walk 2x a week.
Any Ideas of what else I need to change to start actually loosing weight? Or where it's moving to? I'm trying really hard but this is a real downer.....

Replies

• cortney_weiss
    cortney_weiss Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi TKBuris! Keep in mind that you may be losing weight but gaining muscle. I always say, throw that scale out the window! Judge by photos, inches lost, how your clothes fit, etc. You may not be doing anything wrong. Keep up the great work! I will also send you a personal message...
  • johnnlinda
    Options
    I am right with you. The weight will not come off. It'[s crazy! I have been on a "Diet" and workout for 3 months now. I workout 6 days a week, hard workout. I went from 178 to 164 to 168 to 171 to 168. In 3 months I should have a least lost 12 pounds that stay off. I never hit my calories, maybe once or twice I went over a little. I am peri-menopause, so maybe the hormones are fighting with me.
    I feel lost and feel like giving up. But I wont.
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Are you staying within your calorie goal? And more importantly are you eating your exercise calories back?
  • BrittanyErica
    BrittanyErica Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I can tell that I have lost a few inches
    then why are you complaining? i'm saying this with the kindest of intentions.. but i've never understood why people get so downed about weight. it's just a number.. really people. numbers vary from scale to scale. some people retain more water while others dont. scales malfunction. there are so many things that can effect the number on those damn things..

people don't see your number on the scale.. they see your inches lost. so keep up the good work, and remember that you're doing awesome! what you're doing is a million times better than what you were doing before you started.
  • Hey__Im__Krista
    Options
    Try losing instead of loosing. That usually helps.

I don't know why people comment if they have nothing constructive to say.
    This is the motivation and support topic, not cut someone down because they had a grammar error.
    This person is probably already having a bad day, wanting to give up from frustration, why in the world would you seek to make them feel even more so, and give up all together? everyone deserves a healthier life style.

ANYWAY.

Don't give up, If the inches are coming off, that is what you want. The number is just something people like to see go down but in reality that number is always going to be all over the place. Water weight, Bloating from periods, Weight goes up when eating, Ignore that number. I sent my scale back, im decided to stop worrying so much about the number every day.
  • jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I think the key words I read were - I never hit my calories. Are you not eating all your calories, including your excercise calories?
    You need a minimum amount of calories to be efficient in losing weight, eating below only slows or stops the process.
  • StacieABrown
    StacieABrown Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Forget the scale for now. Keep up the good work, you are losing inches -- so you are making forward progress.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I don't know what I'm doing wrong! I am on a low carb diet to off-set my pre-diabetes and I do AT LEAST 30mins of exercise every day and walk 2x a week.
    Any Ideas of what else I need to change to start actually loosing weight?

Can't really tell without seeing your diary, or at least getting more specific information on what you're eating.

How low is your definition of low-carb--i.e., how many grams of carbs are you eating a day? Are you following a specific plan, say from your doctor? Are you trying to do low-fat as well as low-carb?
  • Cheryl188
    Cheryl188 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    More exercise!
    When I first started exercising, I weighed over 300lbs and did a minimum of 5 hours of exercise each week (weight training, swimming, running/walking, boxing). At this intensity I was losing about 2-3lbs per week. Now that I've lost 60lbs, I need to increase the intensity and amount of exercise to 7+ hours a week to lose anything.
    It's hard and it never gets easier...you just get better!
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    The scale eventually catches up with the measuring tape. That's why you don't see people who are thin and fit but their scale reads 350. No.

I was so mad because my weightloss slowed waaaaayyyyy down in Sept but I was working harder than ever! I was so bummed I only lost 7 lbs the whole month because the last two weeks of the month I didn't drop a single pound. But when I took my end-of-month measurements I had lost a cumulative 19 inches in one month!!! So I was seeing results.

It really isn't about the # on the scale. Or it shouldn't be. Do you only reach for a jacket when the temperature drops to a certain temp? Do you stand there shivering and frustrated waiting for the weatherman to confirm it has dropped below 50 degrees? Of course not. You put on a jacket when you feel chilly. Don't stand there feeling frosty waiting for the weatherman to tell you it's cold. And don't stand on the scale waiting for it to say the number you want when you are getting results in other ways. Nobody in life is gonna follow you around with a scale. They go by looks.

There is more than one way to track your results. The scale, measurements, endurance for exercise, strength tests, dropping clothing sizes or clothing feeling loose, progress photos, people noticing your weightloss, improved health like breathing/blood pressure/diabetes/cholesterol/less dependence on medication, etc etc etc. I haven't thrown out my scale completely but I use all different ways to measure my success.

Try making finite goals for yourself on a monthly basis. Something acheivable but something you have to reaaly work for. Focus more on those goals and the weightloss will fall into place. I'm working as hard as I can to wrap up my Oct goals and I'm excited about my Nov goals already. Some suggestions:
    # of hours of cardio you would like to do
    # of miles you would like to do
    # of calories you would like to burn
    Those are all fitness related which is what works for ME but I'm sure you can come up with whatever works for you! Be strong and tenacious. It isn't over till it's over. I only have today, tomorrow, and Wed to make my Oct goals and I'm short 30 miles. I have to do 10 miles a day to make it. Won't be easy but it'll be worth it. Don't be afraid to be creative. Start a virtual vacation. Track your miles toward your destination. Let's say it's 500 miles to the Big Apple. Log all your walking, jogging, cycling, and even machines likes elliptical. Send updates to your friends along your virtual journey and treat yourself when you get "there." If you wanna start small pick your fave place to go somewhat locally. Like your vacation cabin an hour and a half away. Use mapquest to look up the miles and start exercising! Update your friends on your progress. Or if you would rather, jog a virtual marathon. Add up all your 1 or 2 mile jogs until you reach 26.2 miles. It might take you a few weeks but you'll feel awesome when you complete it!
  • TKBurris
    TKBurris Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    First, I want to say THANK YOU for those of you that had positive feedback for me. I appreciate it. I get confused about how much I am supposed to take in versus burn off for the calories. My caloric intake is supposed to be 1300 and I don't go much under/over that (only about 50+100 under, 200 over) on any given day. As far as low carb goes - I try to say around 100 or less a day. I eat a lot of proteins and veggies every day, and try to stay away from too much fruit and juice.

Second....
    TO SPADE117 - YOU ARE A *kitten*. IT'S PEOPLE LIKE YOU THAT MAKE IT HARD FOR PEOPLE THAT TRULY WANT TO BETTER THEMSELVES. IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY THAT IS HELPFUL TO ME THEN STFU AND STEP. I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR SOME PETTY 4TH GRADE BS..
  • TKBurris
    TKBurris Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Also, I only weigh myself once a month using my WiiFitness board. I don't pay attention to the ones at the dr. office when I visit them... But I understand about staying away from it
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    TO SPADE117 - YOU ARE A *kitten*.
    I don't disagree.
    IT'S PEOPLE LIKE YOU THAT MAKE IT HARD FOR PEOPLE THAT TRULY WANT TO BETTER THEMSELVES. IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY THAT IS HELPFUL TO ME THEN STFU AND STEP.
    <---commencing dubstep :)
    I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR SOME PETTY 4TH GRADE BS..
    Then you probably shouldn't waste time replying...
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    My caloric intake is supposed to be 1300 and I don't go much under/over that (only about 50+100 under, 200 over) on any given day. As far as low carb goes - I try to say around 100 or less a day. I eat a lot of proteins and veggies every day, and try to stay away from too much fruit and juice.

You might do better setting your carbs lower for a while, more in the 40g to 60g range, to kick-start the body into weight loss. Part of the benefit of low-carb is lowering your insulin level--too much insulin keeps your body from burning fat. Fruit juice will spike your blood sugar, and thus your insulin; and the fructose (fruit sugar) is processed straight into fat by the liver. Staying away from it completely would help. Sticking to small amounts of low-sugar fruit, especially berries and cherries, is fine.

Veggies are great, of course. Minimize the starchy ones such as potatoes for now. Also try to eliminate grains until you get close to your goal weight, and then add them back a little at a time to see how much you can tolerate without gaining weight back.

Nuts (not peanuts, which are actually legumes) and seeds are good in moderation, say one serving a day. The fat is healthful, and there's some fiber.

Get plenty of fat and protein: Whole eggs, meat, fish, poultry, full-fat cheese, etc. (unless you're vegetarian/vegan).

Hope this helps...