special occaision...vanity reasons

Options
2»

Replies

• Cfkearney
    Cfkearney Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Well there may not be enough gym time between now and your event. Some mentioned a jacket or those sweater things that give you sleeves. You could always select a dress that shows a lot cleavage. No one will notice your arms that way. :drinker:
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Wear a really good bra so the girls are on display, no one will notice your arms. Otherwise, I'd say a shrug or a shawl might be a good move, if you can find one that goes well with the dress.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat but my event is tomorrow. I'm on the hunt for some long black gloves that will hopefully draw attention away from the upper parts of my arms!

It might do the opposite though. I'd check with a good friend to see what they think.
  • Tenster
    Tenster Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Im sorry to say that i don't know of any quick fix's for your arms.

I would also like to say that lifting weights will not make you bulky, this is a common misconception, people think that lifting weights will give you that stereotypical female body builder look, this will not happen! these women inject testosterone hence why they end up looking like men.

Lifting weights will tone you up, firm you up, allow you to burn more calories and a whole host of other benefits.

People who think women get massive off eights are very naive.
  • amyrebtx
    amyrebtx Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you look like, but if you're pretty lean biceps can respond pretty quickly to weights. If it's flappy chicken wing triceps that's another story. It certainly wouldn't hurt to do pushups, bicep curls, lat raises, etc every other day for the next two weeks. You don't have anything to lose.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    Wear a striking statement necklace to draw the eye there. Add a touch of shimmery highlighter to your body lotion and swipe it on the tops of your arms from your shoulder to your wrist. It's also pretty on your collar bone. Nothing too disco just subtle shimmer. Bring a cardigan or wrap in case you feel too self conscious.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Do tons of push-ups, pull-ups, and upper body conditioning.
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Ripped in 30? Jillian Michaels has done wonders for my upper body and I noticed improvement in 2 weeks.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    My arms and shoulders always look best after a challenging workout. I would suggest going for a long swim the night before and lifting the morning of. Maybe don't lift the heaviest weights possible - you want to challenge yourself but you don't want to be so sore that you can't enjoy your special event.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    A little shrug is a great investment. I'm pretty happy with my arms now, but I still get a lot of use out of mine.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,438 Member
    Options
    Ok, I know the responses I will get to this...but hopefully in all of the fun will be one or two good ideas.

I am attending a formal event in two weeks...my dress is strapless. I am not as proud of my arms as I would like to be. Is there any "quick fixes" or tips out there? This is purely my vanity coming out...I am not a "quick fix" person as I have lost my weight the right way. I just want to look as amazing as possible that night.

A serious response here -

since this is "purely a vanity" situation, and there are only two weeks .... maybe a more serious fashion response is more in order than a fitness one. Arms don't tend to respond to "spot work" that quickly.

Brides sometimes need "sleeves for the church / removed for the reception" type solutions .... so a formal wear or bridal-party shop might be able to fix you up with a semi-sheer or translucent wrap or bolero-jacket-y thing? something that 'veils" rather than covers-up?

Not knowing anything about the dress / you and your personal style, etc I wouldn't be any more specific than that.

If you are willing to consider it, DO go somewhere where they have formal accessories in-house, bring your dress with you, and let the professionals help create the perfect look for you. They may have other "distract the eye with accessories" ideas or techniques to do with necklace / bracelet pairing or some such thing - and they may also have the "untainted view" that your arms aren't actually "as bad / noticable" as you are projecting onto your reflection.

No matter what your eventual solution - enjoyu the event for its own sake!
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,438 Member
    Options
    when I started writing - the only fashion advice was the "swan dress picture" - Others already gave you great ideas along the same lines in shorter words.

If going the fashion route - think Distraction before thinking Hiding
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    get this for your arms...

holditstillcustomsixpack.jpg
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    get this for your arms...

holditstillcustomsixpack.jpg

AH HA! the perfect solution!