Has any one gotten the lap band surgery?

Options
im getting it soon and was just wondering

Replies

• cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I was going to do that, but changed my mind. I know some people who have, and it's been a great tool for them. What are you wondering about with it?
  • BabyBrownEyes1991
    Options
    i was just wondering how well it worked andd how long till the results started showing
    I was going to do that, but changed my mind. I know some people who have, and it's been a great tool for them. What are you wondering about with it?
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Everyone I know that has had it done has gained all or most of the weight back because it teaches you nothing about how to eat properly. It's a miserable way to live while it's on and they all gave up. You do realize that if you can live on 5 spoons of yogurt after lapband that you could also learn to eat less without it? It's not a magic cure for the mental issues that cause over eating in the first place.
  • DAREITUP
    Options
    I got it and it is one of the best decisions I have ever made.
  • stacyhall79
    Options
    I personally couldn't do it, but my fiance has it, and has been a godsend to him.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I know someone who did the surgery very recently, maybe 6 weeks ago, and I saw him two weeks ago, and it was noticeable.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    It will work well if you teach yourself how to eat properly BEFORE you get it done. If I were you, I'd try a few weeks of eating like I was a normal weight for my height. At your weight, even eating like someone who is overweight could lead to weight loss, so it's tricky to know what eating properly will really look like for you. I would definitely consult a dietitian before you go through with it.
  • C_Coughenour
    C_Coughenour Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of people who have had to have revisions done...due to slippage, stomach erosion, cannot find the sweet spot etc. It works for some people, but there is some debate on whether or not the "bands" should be recalled. I urge you to look at problems and complications. If you're someone who feels hungry all the time, the band does nothing to reduce hunger hormones. Good luck with whatever you decide!
  • BabyBrownEyes1991
    Options
    It will work well if you teach yourself how to eat properly BEFORE you get it done. If I were you, I'd try a few weeks of eating like I was a normal weight for my height. At your weight, even eating like someone who is overweight could lead to weight loss, so it's tricky to know what eating properly will really look like for you. I would definitely consult a dietitian before you go through with it.

i have been working on eating right the past few months and have managed to lose some of the weight
  • Cynduck
    Cynduck Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I thought about it several times. I decided not to do it though because my issue is a heart issue not a stomach size issue. The band changes the size of your stomach but not my desire for food. It doesn't change the fact that I feed my emotions with food... No matter what emotion - bored, angry, happy, sad etc. I'm learning to do it now and break the emotional ties to food at the same time on my own.

You have lost 16 pounds in the last few months - that is awesome! Proves you can do it :)

I have a friend that got it before I knew her. She was really sick last year and was constantly in and out of the hospital due to issues with the band. She had to have it removed. Miserable time for her. Reconfirmed I made the right decision for me.

If you decide to have it done, I wish you the best of luck and hope it works well or you.
  • sarahmonsta
    sarahmonsta Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    My dad had it done a few years back. He lost quite a bit of weight with it and for the most part has kept it off. In my opinion if it is what you need to get where you want weight and health wise, then do it. Some people can lose weight without it, while others need it. So personally I think you shouldn't listen to the people on here dissing it. Good luck!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    If a person can lose weight before surgery, then they are perfectly capable of continuing to lose weight the natural way, in my opinion.
    You would have to eat a severely restricted diet anyway with the surgery and put the same amount of work in, so why not do it without, which is much safer and probably more satisfying as well.
  • alisahewitt
    alisahewitt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi :) I have a band and have had it for about 4 years now. I've never had a single complication or issue or challenge with the band. As with any surgery, there are risks and things go wrong, that's the reality of any surgery. Do your research on your surgeon, who is he/she, how many procedures have they completed? Ask about how many times they've had to go back and remove a band. Those kinds of questions can help you to make the most informed decision. There are lots and lots of horror stories too, so get the real deal and go from there.

As for me and my weight loss journey, I have lost about 50 pounds in total since my surgery. It's a hard road, there's no such thing as a magic pill, no such thing, you have to do the hard work. But, what I can say is that the volume of food it takes to feel "full" is far less than pre-surgery, and that's a good thing indeed. I'm seeing some more positive results now after being diagnosed with PCOS and Hashimoto's Thyroidits this past year, both of which are hindrances to weight loss. So, with the band, along with my treatment for both other conditions, I feel like I'm finally on the right track to becoming more healthy.

No one can make this decision except you and it has to be for you, for your own health and well-being!

Best Wishes,
    Alisa
  • piggydog
    piggydog Posts: 322
    Options
    If a person can lose weight before surgery, then they are perfectly capable of continuing to lose weight the natural way, in my opinion.
    You would have to eat a severely restricted diet anyway with the surgery and put the same amount of work in, so why not do it without, which is much safer and probably more satisfying as well.

I agree... and from what my MIL was told the long term success rate of those with these bariatric surgeries is not very high....
    I would assume that is because people use it as a quick fix rather then a life style change