Green smoothies

I drink a green smoothie (homemade) a few times a week to replace a meal or fill out veggies/fruit intake for the day. I usually put in a few leaves of Kale, frozen strawberries, some Greek yogurt, avocado or banana so make is smoother, and sometimes a half an apple. I make two servings, one for me and one for my husband. What are other people's thoughts? are there certain things that should not be mixed?
I learned this from my mother who could not eat solid foods due to a disease called Muscular System Atrophy.

Replies

• PattyC64
    PattyC64 Posts: 56 Member
    I mix kale, spinach, carrots, apple, banana, orange, strawberries and blueberries. I saw it on a blender commercial.
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    I think it's a great way to get veggies in. I'm not a big salad person, but I can get a cup of spinach in a smoothie! If it works for you, keep doing it. I like 1/2 banana, strawberry, raspberry, spinach (kale would work too), greek yogurt, whey protein, and a bit of liquid (oz of pom or orange juice, or almond milk). Oranges taste good in that mix too. Sometimes I'll do one with unsweetened coconut (coconut milk if you have) and pineapple juice.
  • 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    yeah, I put some water in it to help mix it. I LOVE my vita-mix blender. I make baby food with it as well.
  • cara4fit
    cara4fit Posts: 111 Member
    Green smoothies rule! I use them as high-powered meals, NOT snacks. This is where people could get into trouble, with snacking on these as they do have calories. Other than that, they are a SUPERB way of getting in lots of dark greens which are naturally low in calories anyway, along with fruit and protein sources like chia seeds, etc. I put in at LEAST 2 cups or more of greens, rotating among combos of kale+chard, spinach+parsley. It's a whole lot easier to get in a few cups of dark greens each day doing this, as a an easy change of pace from big dark green salads. LOVE 'em! They do tend to cut cravings too, as they are very satisfying and one is getting potent minerals from all those dark greens. I've had the Blend-tec high-speed blender which is the main competitor to the Vitamix, for over three years now. Went in use as soon as I got it out of the box! This baby even blends kale STALKS(so you use the whole bunch of the kale instead of wasting half of it). Just try that in a regular blender - trust me - it won't happen and you'll likely burn out that poor motor which is NOT up to the task. But the Blend-tec's is.
  • 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    the vitamix is just like that... not matter what i put into it I get a creamy smoothie