Gaining muscle, losing fat, but fit the same???

Options
I'm frustrated. I still have a long way to go, but so far, I've lost over 11lbs, gained lots of lean muscle, and people keep telling me I look like I'm skinnier and losing weight. So WHY am I still stuck wearing the exact same jeans I started in, and am no closer to fitting into the jeans I wore before I had to "upgrade"... ugh! Usually a 5lb difference, with my short height, means a full size change, so shouldn't I be down 2 sizes by now? :S

Replies

• _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options
    Well, you probably haven't really gained much muscle, if any. More likely you have just gotten stronger and are starting to see muscle that was already there.

Sometimes, it can take a while to go down in clothing sizes. Focus more on strength training/weight lifting and you might see more progress in this area.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    what makes you think you've gained muscle?
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    You're probably losing mostly in your upper body, which isn't affecting your jeans size. Keep working and the lower body will follow suit eventually.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    what makes you think you've gained muscle?

This. Why do you say you've gained LBM?
  • anjiila
    anjiila Posts: 11
    Options
    From what I've read, the only TRULY accurate way to know if you are gaining muscle, without fancy lab tests, is if you gain strength, which I definitely have. I am using higher weights every few weeks, able to weight train for longer periods and it takes much more to fatigue my muscles than when I started.
  • anjiila
    Options
    You're probably losing mostly in your upper body, which isn't affecting your jeans size. Keep working and the lower body will follow suit eventually.

It's funny, but my arms feel/look just as flabby to me, but my butt and thighs seem noticeably tighter. I do see a difference in my face though, which is GREAT, but not 11 lbs worth ;)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, the only TRULY accurate way to know if you are gaining muscle, without fancy lab tests, is if you gain strength, which I definitely have. I am using higher weights every few weeks, able to weight train for longer periods and it takes much more to fatigue my muscles than when I started.

Strength gain does not necessarily equal LBM gain. A major component of strength increase is neurological.

See rate coding:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/reps-per-set-for-optimal-growth.html
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options

You can get stronger and lift heavier weight without putting on a single pound of LBM. Gaining strength just means the muscles you already have are getting stronger but you aren't adding new muscle to your body.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Strength gain does not necessarily equal LBM gain. A major component of strength increase is neurological.

See rate coding:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/reps-per-set-for-optimal-growth.html

This. You are confusing neuro muscular adaptations with hypertrophy. Google both and you'll see why people are asking this.
  • Malozing0809
    Malozing0809 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is make sure you are doing some lower body strength work outs. Squats and lunges are what I do as well as running uphills, downhills, and stair climbing. One way you can monitor you fat lost is buy a Caliper or Measuring tape. Here are some sites that will help calculate your body fat % with some measurements:
    http://www.linear-software.com/online.html
    http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy

Now fair warning, the Navy's formula tends to overestimate the body fat % while most of the Caliper formulas can underestimate, but if you just need to see if you are losing the fat or gaining it, these can be useful tools.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    perhaps your weight is coming off somewhere besides your waist?
  • anjiila
    Options
    My suggestion is make sure you are doing some lower body strength work outs. Squats and lunges are what I do as well as running uphills, downhills, and stair climbing. One way you can monitor you fat lost is buy a Caliper or Measuring tape. Here are some sites that will help calculate your body fat % with some measurements:
    http://www.linear-software.com/online.html
    http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy

Now fair warning, the Navy's formula tends to overestimate the body fat % while most of the Caliper formulas can underestimate, but if you just need to see if you are losing the fat or gaining it, these can be useful tools.

Thanks, yeah I LOVE lower body strength training and have a bunch of workouts geared to that, and always add ankle weights when I do cardio... I do upper body too, but it's not my focus, just something I make myself do to keep a well-rounded, full body approach.
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost as much as you, but I do notice a loser fit up top and in my bum...but my stomach has not seemed to budge much so far.
  • mcpjan
    mcpjan Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have to say that I was in the same place as you are now. I know I was doing everything counting, exercising. But my size stayed the same. I was working with a personal training I was (am) losing fat and gaining muscle. It wasn't until later around 15+ pounds did the size start changing. I have to say that once it started changing it has keep moving. I am now down 2-3 sizes. I know how upset I got knowing I was losing the weight but not changing sizes. Hang in there it will change.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options

You can get stronger and lift heavier weight without putting on a single pound of LBM. Gaining strength just means the muscles you already have are getting stronger but you aren't adding new muscle to your body.

^^^^ this. Strengthening the muscles you already have is totally different to gaining new muscle mass.
    It takes a hell of a lot of weight training and eating high protein diet at a calorie surplus to gain muscle, and its is even harder for females to do, if you are losing weight it is VERY unlikely you have gained muscle.

I'd say there is a lot more than 5lbs or even 11lbs between sizes, and depending where the weight comes off may not affect your clothing yet. I have lost 67lbs and only gone down 4 sizes (20-22 to 12-14).
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, we have to realize that our bodies are predisposed to having big hips or whatever. You can be very fit and not be model thin or have a perfectly symetrical shape.
  • Cokamo
    Cokamo Posts: 51
    Options
    The first few pounds of weight loss are often largely fluid rather than fat and you may also lose more visceral fat (this is the fat between your organs) before you lose more obvious fat stores. Don't give up. If other's are noticing a difference, then something is changing so keep plugging away. Your pant size will go down.
  • anjiila
    Options
    I have to say that I was in the same place as you are now. I know I was doing everything counting, exercising. But my size stayed the same. I was working with a personal training I was (am) losing fat and gaining muscle. It wasn't until later around 15+ pounds did the size start changing. I have to say that once it started changing it has keep moving. I am now down 2-3 sizes. I know how upset I got knowing I was losing the weight but not changing sizes. Hang in there it will change.

Thanks SO much, this is encouraging :) I lost a lot of weight fairly quickly and easily, using the same home exercise and portion control, about 2 1/2 years ago, starting at 140 and ending up in a size 2/4 jean with a better body than I had BEFORE my 7 and 5 year olds, so I KNOW I can physically do it. But this time, after letting it all slide, I started at nearly 150, and I guess it's just going to take longer to get my body back into the groove ;)
  • anjiila
    Options
    The first few pounds of weight loss are often largely fluid rather than fat and you may also lose more visceral fat (this is the fat between your organs) before you lose more obvious fat stores. Don't give up. If other's are noticing a difference, then something is changing so keep plugging away. Your pant size will go down.

Thanks for the info... I'm learning a lot in this thread :)
  • anjiila
    Options
    Sometimes, we have to realize that our bodies are predisposed to having big hips or whatever. You can be very fit and not be model thin or have a perfectly symetrical shape.

Yeah, that's very true, but only 2 1/2 years ago, I worked my way down to size 2/4, with the same post babies body I have now, so I know it's possible. I'm just totally kicking myself now for getting too "comfortable", letting go of the workouts and letting it all slide :P