How can I work out without getting killed?

Options
I'm a student in Philly and Hurricane Sandy is touching down. The gym in my dorm has floor to ceiling windows and I've been told to stay away from them during hurricanes. The problem is I don't want to miss two days of exercise in a row. Any workouts I can do in the safety of my cramped dorm room?

Replies

• HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Arm curls using very heavy books?
  • nmf062174
    nmf062174 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Squats, lunges, abs (I am sure there are more these are just off the top of my head.

Stay safe!
    I'm a student in Philly and Hurricane Sandy is touching down. The gym in my dorm has floor to ceiling windows and I've been told to stay away from them during hurricanes. The problem is I don't want to miss two days of exercise in a row. Any workouts I can do in the safety of my cramped dorm room?
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Shadow boxing will burn calories! Also jump rope (even if you don't have one you can do the movements), if you have any free weights you can use those, jumping jacks, burpees, lunges, all that stuff. Gotta get creative.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Be safe, and don't let two days bother you.
  • TT_luvs_fitness
    Options
    any kind of body weight workouts like squats,lunges,pushups,jumping jacks, ect...
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Does your dorm have stairs that you could go up and down? That would be a great workout! There are also lots of workouts on you tube if you have a laptop. You could probably find one that would work in a small area. but the main thing is, stay safe!
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    search for body weight exercises. Pushups, squats, lunges, jumping jacks, crunches.....
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Be safe, and don't let two days bother you.

Yea this.

I think I would be more worries about whats going on with the hurricane then working out. Just stay safe!
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    plank, press-ups, abdominal crunches, plus all of the above!
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Check out nerdfitness.com. He has complete workouts you can do in any hotel (or dorm) room. They're all bodyweight-based multi-joint moves like squats, pullups, pushups, lunges, planks, etc.
  • phatnotfat81
    Options
    Shadow boxing will burn calories! Also jump rope (even if you don't have one you can do the movements), if you have any free weights you can use those, jumping jacks, burpees, lunges, all that stuff. Gotta get creative.

^this
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    3 words....

BODY WEIGHT RESISTANCE
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Take two good rest days! They're not bad for you. You'll feel super refreshed when you get back to the gym, and you'll be able to push harder and longer than you did without taking the rest days!
  • SquidVonBob
    SquidVonBob Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies guys! I'm pretty weak but I can try some pushups, lunges, ect. I'm an art student though so no heavy textbooks to bench press (or bed press?).
  • Fenomka
    Fenomka Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Wall squats/prayer chair, lunges, crunches,

and there's a super great "small space" rep where you go on hands and knees, and stretch out arm and opposit leg, then down, x5, then switch to the other side, each set (both sides) for 2 min or until you can't do it anymore - works the whole body, and uses your own muscles as resistance, no need for weights! :) Most importantly, stay safe!

Oh, also, leg lifts - you can do these in your desk chair - sit in the chair, and extend one or both legs out, then down at a 45 degree angle, not touching the ground, then back up - this works core, back, thighs, and shoulders (balancing and stability)

Edit : Please note - these are all things I was able to do when I first started working out, at my heaviest. I figure, If I can do them, anybody can. LOL
  • SquidVonBob
    SquidVonBob Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    And yes I know rest days are important but I feel weird abut starting out the week with rest days. Never know if I'll need them on other days.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Most of the Tough Mudders you can do without equipment in a small room. The only exercise I think you'll have to modify is pull up...you could do shoulder presses instead as a modification and run in place for the running man.

http://toughmudder.com/tough-mudder-boot-camp-training/
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Go to NowLoss.com. (or google "how to lose 50 pounds") They even have a workout that you can do in your bathroom.
  • cmccorma
    cmccorma Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    burpees!
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    How about jogging in place or jogging in place while moving your arms from side to side in front of you and then alternating them every five minutes moving them from your side up and down (above your head). This is how I started lossing weight two years ago in my living room. I call it the human elliptical, along with sit ups, push ups and crunches. Stay safe and use the space you have, you don't have to go to a gym to loose weight.:wink: