Martial Arts training??

Options
I have a question for those of you out there, who have training/train in martial arts:

I have always been interested in taking martial arts classes, specifically Muy Thai. I've only really started counting what I eat, and going to the gym and am still pretty out of shape. My questions is, would I be able to seek out training when I am so out of shape? Or should I wait and start doing that after a few months of going to the gym 3-6 times a week?

Let me know, THANKS!!!

Replies

• GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    Train now. Nothing burns more calories than sparring and training in martial arts. Go. Stop typing, and go.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I start muy thai when i was in the wrost shape of my life, and I don't regret it at all.
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I dont have experience with Martial Arts. However I do train to box.

I would say start now. The training will be good for you and until you train to fight you will not know how to train to fight. If that makes sense. Lifting weights will not get you the conditioning that you need nor will straight cardio.
  • mjwarford
    mjwarford Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My husband is a Taekwondo and Krav Maga instructor. We have men, women and kids of all shapes, sizes and ability levels. Go fot it! It is great fun, a great challenge and has great calorie burns.
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    My husband is a Taekwondo and Krav Maga instructor. We have men, women and kids of all shapes, sizes and ability levels. Go fot it! It is great fun, a great challenge and has great calorie burns.
    TKD, Krav and a redheaded wife? Nothing good can come from that combination. ;)
  • mjwarford
    mjwarford Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Lol! Actually, a redheaded wife who is a triathlete, NY cops daughter, and has four teenage sons who are all martial artists.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    No don't wait, do it now. When I went back to Tae Kwon Do, after an 8 year break, I was really out of shape. Doing TKD, MyFitnessPal and circuits have helped me to be to be in the best shape I have been for a very long time. As a result I am able to run for longer and a whole bunch of other wonderful things.

START NOW, WHAT'S STOPPING YOU!:wink:
  • bco1158
    bco1158 Posts: 38
    Options
    Muay Thai is a great workout and a fun sport/martial art to learn. I definitely realized how out of shape I was when I started. But I always felt great and got a little less winded with each time.

Plus, it seems like a lot Thai instructors / Thai gyms (at least in my area) offer the "10 week challenge" programs where they help you get on track with your weight loss. I've never done it, but have seen some pretty decent results from those who have.
  • Chewster001
    Chewster001 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Ya - start now. There's no excuse to not start. Half of the guys hired to be bodyguards for people are over 250lbs. They're not in the best shape, but they know how to take somebody down. Also, have you watched an NFL game lately? Look at the offensive linemen. They don't have washboard abs.
    I took Krav Maga as my first Martial Arts class and I've been in love with MMA ever since. It was created to be taught to people of all skill levels from tiny little old people with canes to the young and virile. A good instructor can modify anything you might need to modify. Just get out there and move.
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    The training is what will get you in shape..go..do it..have fun!
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone - don't wait. That's said - be sure the instuctor is willing to modify routines until you have built up some endurance. When I look back at where I was a 1 1/2 years ago - I was in sad shape. But now I've dropped a whole size, top and bottom (not having lost a pound according to the stupid scale) and I can do a lot more. I enjoy my karate classes which run the gambit from Japanese old school, Taekawndo, Karate, self-defense, kick boxing - you name it, he throws it in to the class.
  • goffley3
    goffley3 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice, I'm gonna head straight home and hit the internet and look for Muy Thai/Kickboxing schools in my area (provided I still have power when I get home #stupid hurricane).

If anyone knows any good ones in my area (south of Boston, MA 02302) let me know!!

Thank you!!!
  • MrsAzriel
    MrsAzriel Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Don't wait.
    Martial arts is one of the workouts I truly love. I started karate at 5 and have black belts in multiple styles. It is addictive and is something that you can do for a whole lifetime. I am currently taking two styles, Tae Kwon Do and Maruki Do Jujitsu. One instructor is 56 and the other is 72. The 56 year old regularly kicks my butt and the 72 year old is still amazing.
  • commandax
    commandax Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I started muay thai three and a half months ago, 65 pounds overweight, extremely uncoordinated and having not done any cardio in about 10 years. I was totally wiped out after my first day, but a couple days later I went back for more. Soon I was totally addicted, despite being constantly sore all over. Now I spend between 9 and 11 hours per week at the gym training, and in 14 weeks have lost 22 pounds and reshaped my body much more than that amount of weight loss would normally justify.

Just go for it and try your hardest. The trainers will see you're busting your *kitten*, even though you can't keep up with everyone else. I am still streaming sweat and gasping for air every time I'm there, and though I am probably still the weakest student in the gym, my trainers always give me a pat on the back and tell me I'm doing good work. They say if I stick with it for six months, I won't recognize myself.

If you want to get a little bit of a jump on your training while you're looking for a good muay thai gym, try doing some jump rope, burpees and sprints on your own at home, so they won't blow you out quite as much when you get started with the real thing!
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I take Aikido. We have people starting all the time who are really out of shape. Some are quite big. It helps you to be more limber, burns calories and tones.