Food to avoid

Options
I really need to loose 75 lbs, i am really motivated, whay kind of food should i avoid?

Replies

• Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    There is no one food, nutrient, or ingredient that you should avoid (or eat lots of).

Depriving yourself of foods you love is not the answer.

The better question is what things in your regular diet can you decrease by a little bit, what things should you increase a little bit, and what things should you add?
  • hotpot83
    Options
    foods high in fat/salt are things that pile the weight on me... most foods are okay in moderation though :)
    portion control is a big thing for me, i always weigh out my portions of food... Im by no means qualified to give advice... but fresh fruit, veg, lean meats are all great. Grilling foods rather than frying helps me. i love mayonnaise and cant give it up so I have it sometimes but get the extra light version... switched out fizzy sugared drinks for the occasional diet one... drink lots of water :)
  • vickykl29
    Options
    try to reduce any processed food!!!
  • msfitgator
    Options
    All the suggestions prior to mine are excellent. Similar to what was already said, change your thinking to focus on what you CAN eat. When I found out I was hypoglycemic many years ago and was given a list of what not to eat, I found that there were far more things that I could eat and that helped me to never feel deprived. My list kept growing; most veggies, whole grains, fruits in moderation, etc. When I thought of all the good things, I started forgetting all the processed food, since it really didn't taste as good anyway! I still have a little chocolate now and then! Happy, healthy eating to you!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Going by your profile picture, I would say that you're at or very near your goal weight already... :laugh:
  • Colexlovely
    Colexlovely Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Don't deprive yourself. Just keep track of the portion sizes and Serving size, and don't go over your calories and you will be ok. Add some exercise in there and you will be great :)
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Well don't eat junk..that's for sure.

Make a plan and check your carbs and sugar (you need them...just don't take too too much) MFP will check that for you.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    All of it.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Okay. Just kidding.

Don't avoid any food. Just be careful about how MUCH you eat. Log everything. That's the trick.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Okay, everybody, pick a side:

EAT ALL TEH FOODS!!!11!!

AVOID ALL TEH FOODS!!1!1!!1
  • Double_Tapp
    Options
    Going by your profile picture, I would say that you're at or very near your goal weight already... :laugh:

I was going to recommend something that would stick to his ribs :laugh:
  • wildcata77
    Options
    Rutabega.

Everything else, game on.
  • spartanracer1975
    Options
    I agree with those above, definitely do not think about foods you should avoid, but foods you can eat! You probably already know all the ones you should avoid, but try to throw in some really good stuff.

If you have never read Michael Pollan's book In Defense of Food, it's good to check out. Or the small hints book Food Rules. One of them is "If it comes from a plant eat it, if it was made in a plant don't." Simple but to the point.

I say eat as much as you want of fresh fruit and vegetables (preferably raw) then see how you feel. I usually eat 3-4 pieces of fruit a day and about a pound of vegetables. I'm not saying I have the best diet, but I do feel pretty good most of the time. I rarely get sick, I have clear skin and loads of energy.

Just a thought! Good luck. :)
  • Kathleen_Hays
    Options
    Cut down on the sweets and avoid fast food. That'll go a long way toward getting you on the right track.
  • petejjcharlton
    petejjcharlton Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The main things I avoided were crisps and chocolate, I sometimes have them in moderation as a treat. But the most important thing is weighing all your food, and if you feel hungry, just have some fruit. After the first 3 weeks I stopped feeling hungry, which surprised me. Good luck.
  • natalovesmusic
    natalovesmusic Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Cut down on the sweets and avoid fast food. That'll go a long way toward getting you on the right track.
    I second this
  • johnny059qn
    johnny059qn Posts: 163 Member
    Options

I was going to recommend something that would stick to his ribs :laugh:

That's some funny stuff!!!
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Avoid sodium and unhealthy fats. Also, avoid the white foods--sugar, white bread, white rice, etc. Replace these with healthier choices such as whole grain bread, brown rice...
  • Going by your profile picture, I would say that you're at or very near your goal weight already... :laugh:

^^ This! LOL!

I wouldn't avoid anything, I've lost weight by not restricting foods but just the portion size. I weigh everything, check labels on treats and always remain in my calorie goal while eating the foods I love.
  • mclarkin75
    mclarkin75 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Also watch what you drink. Most beverages are full of empty calories and sugar. Artificial sweetens are not great either.