Weight Loss Supplements?

Options
13»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Unfortunately, no supplement has been proven to increase fat loss or weight loss . It's all based on less calories than you burn. Now, there are things you can do to help repair muscle recover (protein post workout) or help increase the your ability to push harder during workouts (caffeine) but all weight loss pills are bogus.
  • EllenNudi
    Options
    hey there! I have been taking B 12, multi vitamin, Vit D3. I am not much of a morning person and have found the whey protein (sold at Walmart and other pricey stores) helpful for me. Just a scoop in water in the morning and I am good to go. It is much better than me skipping breakfast and the protein stays with me till lunch. If you have a sweet tooth like me, add an equal to it. Walmart also sells a Protein drink EAS in a 4 pack for people that is ready to drink (no mixing) that is good. It is only 17 g of protein, but sufficient. It comes in different flavors too. Chocolate and vanilla were good.

I see a Physician Asst. for Diet, but since I found this website, I have done far better. This will be my last appt. with her. Haven't learned anything from her that I could not have gotten off of this site. Except, I did take some blood tests showing my iron and B levels were extremely low. This was helpful knowledge while getting them up to where they should be. Other than that, I have found the journaling on this site to be the most helpful.

Good luck to you, and everyone trying to lose weight and get healthy.
  • breezedaze
    breezedaze Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Interesting..when I hear "supplement" I think vitamins/nutrition as in "adding extra to supplement" and others hear "diet pills" and/or "steroids"

Is this something that you hear being in the diet/fitness industry or field? Or is it from crazy fad diets?

Just noticing the different connotation and wondering why.
  • margieyoumans
    margieyoumans Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Cellucor Super HD, Isopure Dutch Chocolate (Whey), and Betancourt Ripped Juice. Waiting on my local vitamin shoppe to get Cellucor CLK!
  • ajsmommy2010
    Options
    This is working great for me too :-)
  • LeighAnnza
    LeighAnnza Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Interesting..when I hear "supplement" I think vitamins/nutrition as in "adding extra to supplement" and others hear "diet pills" and/or "steroids"

Is this something that you hear being in the diet/fitness industry or field? Or is it from crazy fad diets?

Yes, I was also surprised at how many posters dismissed my question because they assumed in mean "crazy diet fads" or "diet pills."
    As for a little of my background, I was a store manager at GNC for 3 or so years and I loved that job. I learned so much about vitamins, amino acids, and other nutrients. Since then I had fallen off my health regimen and I'd like to start again.
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Super HD wooooooooo! PUMPED BABY! Come Get IT1
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    You may have to be more specific when you ask about weight loss supplements as some will assume you are asking about "diet" pills.

For me, I drink a protein drink after each workout as well as take Fish oil and CoQ10.
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    i use nutella and hotpockets..

it works.
    i've lost 15lbs.

(mmmm! nutella.lol,i dont like taking pills and protein bars are gross. if you dont believe me ask Jose.lol)
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I do use whey proteins. Mostly to help me get more protein and stay fuller longer (I can't just gobble a whole chicken or something after I go to the gym!) I must say it does make me eat less throughout the day to get more protein, no matter where it comes from.

I have also taken green tea pills and used to drink a lot of green tea. I can't say if it helped for sure because a lot of factors played into my weight loss, but no matter what I think it was good for me - even if it was only a placebo effect and I thought it was good for me!
  • Buffy2point0
    Buffy2point0 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have used the Carb Advantage shakes on occasion to stay under the count. They are much better than those high sugar meal replacement shakes.
  • amessm
    amessm Posts: 2
    Options
    I like Advocare supplements. The Spark energy vitamin drink gives me my B12 that I need on a daily basis. I love it so. It is my treat every day.

Me too :) That along with the MNS herbal appetite supplements and the meal replacement shakes. I really don't even feel like I need to eat as much as I usually do. And I'm an emotional eater. I always keep below 1200 and sometimes only 950 and feel satisfied.
  • GomesDavid
    Options
    :flowerforyou: No, only because I am afraid of them.... I just count calories and try to eat healthy. :smile:

Good luck to you in your journey:flowerforyou:

Yup !! Healthy Diet and Regular Exercise Works For Me Also:drinker:
    Weight Loss Supplements hmmm :yawn:
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    My morning smoohie:
    1 scoop protein powder
    1 t cinnamon
    1 t potassium powder (I never get enough potassium)
    1 T dark cocoa powder
    1 T swansons super green Max powder
    1 scoop of chia seeds

I call this my Incredible Hulk Drink. It makes me feel so good. Don't care if others think it is voo doo. My hair has never looked better and my skin glows. I have not noticed a decrease in hunger tho but my energy level is much higher than it was before I started this.
  • kittyraj
    kittyraj Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I drink heaps of green tea, my skin is better, I am more hydrated, the caffeine keeps me going without feeling tired and I'm losing weight!

However, it does stain my teeth..
  • ccwolters
    Options
    Special K Protein Bar or any healthy snack that contains 10g of protein or better. It keeps hunger at bay for much longer than any carb filled snacks and keeps your body from going into starvation mode. Carbs make you want more carbs. I have found being conscious of my diet and habits are the only lifestyle changes I needed. Just making sure I am vigilant about getting the right foods at the right time in the right amounts, making sure I get my 8 glasses (3 x 16 oz. bottle) of water down a day, and knowing how many calories I burn versus how many I eat. Add to this method a cup of green tea every night, a bit of raw garlic (or an extract), and a bit of cinnamon and let nature take its course.

Good luck.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Thanks for some self-righteous and snarky replies. Sheesh. : P
    Obviously, I'm doing fine so far, having lost 17 lbs just using my willpower.
    I was only curious to see if others every use meal replacements shakes, protein or fiber powders, vitamins, or things like that.
    I was looking for knowledge, not attitude.

It comes across as sarcastic because people with knowledge are exhausted fighting against the tirade of people addicted to throwing their money away on useless supplements.
    There are techniques, such as food choice/timing that can make weight loss easier, but monitoring your intake and exercising will power are the essential skills you need.

Caffeine works a little, but it's just not effective enough for the side effects in my opinion.
  • nelja
    nelja Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I use a pretein shake in the morning,because i am not a breakfast person.Then i count my calories through the day,also count walking and bicycle calories.Eat normal evening and have small snack mid morning and mid afternoon.Reduce my coke intake a lot.Lost 3,5kg so far in less than 2 months.
  • breezedaze
    breezedaze Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Yeah..I noticed that. I was a bit taken aback.

Yes, I was also surprised at how many posters dismissed my question because they assumed in mean "crazy diet fads" or "diet pills."
    As for a little of my background, I was a store manager at GNC for 3 or so years and I loved that job. I learned so much about vitamins, amino acids, and other nutrients. Since then I had fallen off my health regimen and I'd like to start again.