Not at all related to health and weight loss.....

Options
We are in the market for a dog. The other day my oldest daughter begged me to go into a pet store to see if they had any dogs. I guess I am a bit naive but I for some reason thought that stores could no longer sell dogs. Regardless, much to my dismay there was a whole wall of dogs waiting to find a home. In inquiring about some of the dogs, I was told that some had been in there 10 months and I honestly think there was a couple in there longer. So my questions are does anyone know do those poor animals ever see the outdoors, go for walks, get exercise? What happens if noone buys them say within a undetermined amount of time? Those dogs have been haunting me ever since. I know it may sound silly but what can I say, I am a sucker for the big sad eyes but can't afford to house every animal in need. they even had "discounted" dogs. Really....

Replies

• Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    It really depends on where you are and the type of store. A lot of stores use puppy mills but I can't see them keeping dogs that long if that's the case. I got all three of my guys from a store and they were taken out to play daily, but I don't think they got to go outside, just to the play area. The turnover there was fast though and we would go in all the time to look and there were almost never the same batch of dogs and someone was always buying one at any given moment.
  • VitaBailey
    VitaBailey Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Don't shop, adopt.
  • alesnie
    alesnie Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Pet stores break my heart... Adoption is the best, but it doesn't help the dogs that are stuck in those crates.