A reminder to accept the fluctuation & move on.

I had a friend come in from out of town early last week, which resulted in 2 nights of major slip ups. When he left, I stepped on the scale to see 145. A few days after I happily hit the 140 mark. From past experience (a whopping 9lb fluctuation in a week back in July), I remembered that this is normal after sodium & alcohol happy slip ups. I waited out a few days, didn't starve myself (kept within healthy limit), moved on & I'm back at 140 this morning.

I wanted to share for all those that feel easily defeated when it comes to slip ups. A reminder that it happens, can get resolved and we can move forward.

Replies

• pennaal
    pennaal Posts: 18
    Thanks so much for this! I was 140 last week but after a couple of Halloween parties this weekend, I'm now around 144 which I know is a fluctuation from the sodium and alcohol, but it can still be so frustrating and discouraging :( But you're absolutely right. It's a fluctuation. I didn't consume 14,000 calories. I'm much more realistic now and accepting of what it is. Just gotta keep on truckin'!
  • 120weeks
    120weeks Posts: 242 Member
    I just experienced the same thing! I just posted it on my blog. And this is coming from someone who doesn't much "weight" in the scale. I was a terror over it last week.

Then, overnight (like magic) it was all gone again (5.5 pounds).
  • Thanks so much for this! I was 140 last week but after a couple of Halloween parties this weekend, I'm now around 144 which I know is a fluctuation from the sodium and alcohol, but it can still be so frustrating and discouraging :( But you're absolutely right. It's a fluctuation. I didn't consume 14,000 calories. I'm much more realistic now and accepting of what it is. Just gotta keep on truckin'!

Oh, I'm so happy to hear that I helped you out - funny that we're at the same weight, too! Yes yes, keep on truckin', indeed!
  • Stella_Leigh
    Stella_Leigh Posts: 189 Member
    I had a friend come in from out of town early last week, which resulted in 2 nights of major slip ups. When he left, I stepped on the scale to see 145. A few days after I happily hit the 140 mark. From past experience (a whopping 9lb fluctuation in a week back in July), I remembered that this is normal after sodium & alcohol happy slip ups. I waited out a few days, didn't starve myself (kept within healthy limit), moved on & I'm back at 140 this morning.

I wanted to share for all those that feel easily defeated when it comes to slip ups. A reminder that it happens, can get resolved and we can move forward.

Thanks for this! It's exactly what I needed today :)
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    I swing 5lbs either way depending on my routine and carb ups.
    As long as the 3 day running total is lower (if losing weight) then run with it.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    I also have a 5 pound range that is normal for me, depending on what I've eaten, how much weight I've lifted, and what day of the month it is. As long as I stay in my range, I don't sweat it too much.

It's actually very interesting to weigh daily and record your weight on a calendar so you can compare patterns to the prior month, especially if you're in maintenance. I find the weight swings are very predictable, which is reassuring.
  • kym123tx
    kym123tx Posts: 54 Member
    same here.!